Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I needed video. I wanted a K-5, but have a K20D that is a great main body for stills. So now I have the K-r.

10-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #32
Nic

I came from canon, and picked up a k10d and couldn't be happier. The resolution, the focusing and ease of use kills the 30d. I also came from nikon-d50-d70 and it kills those. Im really digging the pentax bodies, I am expecting my first child, and I don't really think there would be a need to upgrade from the k10d, its an awesome camera.
10-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #33

I'm another K10D owner who's been following the K-5 with interest.

I've also been wondering in the back of my mind whether it's just a desire for a new gadget, vs. a way to genuinely improve my photography.

One way I think of it is like this - does the K10D prevent me from getting the shots I want? If so, it's become a technical roadblock that could probably be removed by a newer, better, camera.

While I can't see the K10D preventing people getting awesome landscapes, etc. I had a recent experience where the technical abilities of the K10D stopped me taking photos.

During a recent sight-seeing trip to Washington DC I just had the camera and a slow walkabout lens with me. As the light started to fade, I couldn't get an aperture/ISO combo that resulted in a shutter speed high enough for blur-free photos. The K-5's excellent high ISO performance would have allowed me to continue shooting that little bit longer into the day.

(I realise a tripod or faster lens would have achieved the same goal, but better ISO is more universal as it applies to all lens in all situations).

I've also found myself frustrated when the K10D has failed to find focus in low light.

So for me, I feel an upgrade to the K-5 will allow me to get photos I can't with the K10D.

As an aside, I've been trying to list all the reasons to upgrade (in no particular order):

* Smaller, lighter body - This will probably mean I take my camera with me more often, when the K10D would have otherwise been left at home
* Better high ISO performance - Maybe as much as 4 additional usable stops
* Bigger, better LCD screen for reviewing images
* 100% viewfinder
* Faster AF
* More accurate low-light AF
* More accurate metering (16 vs. 77 segment)
* Higher FPS (7 vs. 3)
* Video - not essential for me, but I'm sure I'll use it occasionally
* Live view - same as video
* Higher maximum shutter speed
* Improved dust removal system
* An additional 6 megapixels of resolution
* Electronic level - could prove useful
* Programable Fx button
* X-sync socket
* Not sure if the shake reduction system is improved?

What would I lose from the K10D?
* Tethering

I think I've done a good enough job of convincing myself I NEED a K-5

Adam
10-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by adamfogerty Quote

I think I've done a good enough job of convincing myself I NEED a K-5

You've convinced me as well

10-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nic Quote
I came from canon, and picked up a k10d and couldn't be happier. The resolution, the focusing and ease of use kills the 30d. I also came from nikon-d50-d70 and it kills those. Im really digging the pentax bodies, I am expecting my first child, and I don't really think there would be a need to upgrade from the k10d, its an awesome camera.
You are a special Canon guy - they are usually hard to please with anything that starts with a "P".

That said, I still have my K10D and it still takes great pictures (except in those harsh conditions when I have to push beyond iso800). However, my recently acquired K-7 is also a big step forward with favorite features already mentioned by many on this thread. Perhaps, someday, you may find yourself wanting to upgrade - especially when the price is right. The good thing about these technology advancement at a rapid pace is that you can be sure the next model comes with more features and costing less for it.
10-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
You've convinced me as well
Me too...

I have the K10D and K-7 (love the ergonomics and color of the IQ)... and there is room for the k-5 perhaps when the k-3 is announced or introduced.
10-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #37

Photos: Albums
Im happy with my K7
probably when they release a new model (K9) in the next 18months,
I'll think about it,.

10-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #38
Forum Member

I heard the K9 is a real dog!

Tim
10-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Continuing the Pentax choice innovation ...

The K-9 comes with your choice of fur, and can be trained provided you feed it enough biscuits.
10-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #40
Veteran Member

This is a real dog... not sure about the noise reduction though...

K-5 FA 135mm f/2.8