Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x Spazz Attack

So I turn on my camera this morning before putting it into my school bag, just to double check that the batteries are good and all. Imagine my surprise when, instead of showing the main screen, it just displays a billion lines of color, which remained there for several seconds when I turned it off, only disappearing after 30 seconds or so after the power was turned off (I didn't have the presence of mind to take a shot of the screen with my phone's camera or anything, unfortunately). I removed the batteries, put them back in, and turned it on again. This time, it worked fine. And every other time I took it out in the day, including a field hockey game where I took 250+ pictures, it didn't have any problems.

Now, I'm not horribly worried cause it's working fine now, but should I be worried? What could it be indicative of ?

And, if it's relevant, recently I've been bringing it to school because one of my assignments is to take candid shots of people around the school - in the cafeteria, in classrooms, etc. I place it onto of my soft (fake leather) pencil case, lens facing up, and on the top and bottom faces of the camera are half-inch thick padding.

edit: picture now enclosed two posts down.

Last edited by jaieger; 11-05-2010 at 11:57 PM.
10-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You weren't thinking about buying a K-r were you? Maybe it read your mind and got upset

Sounds like something just flipped out for a second. Perhaps borderline charge on the batteries or something like that. Unless it happens again, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

10-20-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
Forum Member

Imho, anything that has on board processing has the potential to "spazz" and whether it be a cell phone, PC or camera the first step is usually to reboot it which you did and was OK, I wouldn't be concerned but if it were to do it on a more regular basis I would be returning under warranty or for repair.

GT
11-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for your reassuring replies unfortunately this has happened again, and this time I had the presence of mind to take a picture of it on my cellphone (sorry, not the greatest quality). Again, turning it off and removing the batteries solved the problem and it's working fine afterwards.

anyone know what this is caused by or have had this happen to them too?

11-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #5

I've a Kx, and nothing like that ever happened to my cam.

I think its best to send back for warranty repair.
11-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #6

You might first try to use a different set of batteries for an extended period, just to see if you can eliminate the current set as a variable. Also, check if you have the correct battery type selected in your menu.
11-06-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
Thanks all for your reassuring replies unfortunately this has happened again, and this time I had the presence of mind to take a picture of it on my cellphone (sorry, not the greatest quality). Again, turning it off and removing the batteries solved the problem and it's working fine afterwards.

anyone know what this is caused by or have had this happen to them too?
Interesting. I've only ever seen that once, similar pattern diff colours, on bootup from cold and a quick (instant reflex really, unplanned) reboot solved it - to my relief. Didn't have to remove batteries.

*VGA monitors will do similar, not sure whether it's the Vsync, Hsync, whatever res/modes switching-circuitry spits the dummy on fire-up so you end up all out of phase. Kinky patterns sometimes, v stripes do get boring after a while though.

Have had the stupid K-x OS display crash twice too, while navigating & changing settings in Menus. It split-froze about half of the screen horizontally and wouldn't scroll out of that state, even on attempted full redraws. But again a warm reboot fixed that too on both occasions, and initial panic wasn't justified, so was obviously a soft error I'd say.

I reckon the K-x with its o/c'ed sensor can get pretty hot under the collar inside (after heavy use), which explains their forced DFS, but surely not cold bootup issues.

Sorry no real help to your issue. Hope it's not too recurring and fatal. Ever got it wet, or moisture, abnormally hot, cold, or rapid temp change environment?

Good luck.

.R.