Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Startup procedure

I just received my wife's K-x and I would like to know what would be the best startup procedure. I know about the battery issue so I guess I should buy a set of Eneloop to begin with and fully charge them. Then, what about the firmware? When should I update it? Is there something else I should know in order to give it a good strat?

10-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Check for firmware version

QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
I just received my wife's K-x and I would like to know what would be the best startup procedure. I know about the battery issue so I guess I should buy a set of Eneloop to begin with and fully charge them. Then, what about the firmware? When should I update it? Is there something else I should know in order to give it a good strat?
I should start with checking the firmware version to see if any update is needed.

Turn the camera on with the menu button pressed:

Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

If the version is 1.01 then all is well.

I used my camera a lot before the first firmware update arrived, if you're using Eneloops there is no real reason to update the camera, but it will not harm either...
10-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
About the only scenario where it might be broken would be if the ran out of power during the firmware update. To avoid this, putting in the provided lithium cells, waiting 30s, powering up to make sure that firmware in fact needs an update (*) and that the battery indicator is green (= cells good) and then going ahead with the update if needed would seem like a good way to start.

(*) Keep the menu-button pressed when turning the power on and you should get a screen stating the current firmware version.
10-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Add to your checklist at a minimum a Sanyo brand eneloop charger as well as just the eneloop AA's. Regular NiMh chargers don't always know how to charge eneloops properly.

And I'd also download and install the firmware off the Pentax site even if the firmware indicated says 1.01 in-camera. There have been a series of 'silent' firmware updates by Pentax that haven't bumped up the major firmware number, but were updates nonetheless, so it might be useful to just grab what's on the site and install it anyhow.

It might also be useful to update the name information in the 'Copyright Information' section (Menu > Settings > 2: Copyright Information) to reflect your name.

I'd also run a series of clean ups (Menu > Settings > 4) like the Pixel Mapping, do a Dust Alert to see if there was any dust detected on the sensor, and run a cycle of Dust Removal shakes if necessary to clean the dust off, or do a full clean if necessary. Etc.

10-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #5

"Duraloop"

You are in Quebec, this weekend Pharmaprix has the 4xAA Duracell Precharge (Rebadged Eneloop) at 6.99. Make sure you take the ones with the white top. Like the one on the right.
10-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for the good advices. I guess I'll follow the prescribed procedure and go for a little photowalk. Merci pour la plug