Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #1

No power on my Brand new K-x

I have a brand new K-x. Didn't use it but 3 times and yesterday when I went to turn it on (after it had been sitting for a few weeks) and No Power. Naturally I assumed batteries, but after 3 different sets of brand new reg alkaline and fully charged lith-ions, no luck. Just the strangest thing. It had been sitting in it's bag since I downloaded my pix from the card to my pc...
I looked for threads regarding this but found none so far... Please help!:ugh:

10-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by II Akcay Quote
I have a brand new K-x. Didn't use it but 3 times and yesterday when I went to turn it on (after it had been sitting for a few weeks) and No Power. Naturally I assumed batteries, but after 3 different sets of brand new reg alkaline and fully charged lith-ions, no luck. Just the strangest thing. It had been sitting in it's bag since I downloaded my pix from the card to my pc...
I looked for threads regarding this but found none so far... Please help!:ugh:
Does not sound good, If it's completely dead I would suggest you return it for replacement if that is an option or send it in under warranty if the replacement period has expired.

Sorry to hear that your KX has been a disappointment, it's a fine camera and great value for money.
10-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Good news: there is nothing at all wrong with your K-x

Bad news: You need to go and buy some decent batteries. There are 2 types that reliably work: either Eneloop rechargables or Lithiums non rechargables.
10-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think there is really anyway to pin point your problem. I have heard others speak of similar problems. Most of those people got lucky and by the 2nd and 3rd battery change the camera turned on. The Kx old firmware (ver 1.00 I believe) was known to have battery metering problems. It would indicate lower power levels than what was actually still available and even shut the camera down prematurely due to the incorrect reading and the new firmware (ver 1.01) corrected this problem. If you can somehow get it to power on, if you have not already done it, update the firmware asap.

But just to cover the very basic and obvious (don't take this the wrong way) make sure the batteries are inserted correctly, if you have tried everything and still cannot get it to turn on, I would send it back/in for service/exchange immediately.

10-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Good news: there is nothing at all wrong with your K-x

Bad news: You need to go and buy some decent batteries. There are 2 types that reliably work: either Eneloop rechargables or Lithiums non rechargables.
I do not believe it is a bad battery problem. Fully charged lithium ions were used and it still would not turn on.
10-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I do not believe it is a bad battery problem. Fully charged lithium ions were used and it still would not turn on.
Read the comment again, "fully charged lith-ions". That to me makes me think the OP is confused and is actually using crappy NiMH's. "Fully charged" to me means rechargable, if someone describes Lithium AA's it would be "new" or "fresh" as they cannot be charged.
10-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Regular alkalines should still work, so it sounds like there's some real problem. Go for a return if you can.
10-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Go and buy some brand-new Energizer Lithiums. Then make sure the batteries are being inserted the right way. Then check that the battery contacts on the battery door are clean and OK. Then close the door, wait a few minutes, and power on. It should work.

With the original firmware you sometimes had to wait about 5 minutes for the camera to recognise new batteries, figure out what type they were, and then figure out how to meter them.

Another thing I remember people doing who had problems with the old firmware was taking the camera lens off and putting it back on while the camera had power. That sometimes helped.

If all this doesn't work, call up and ask for Pentax support and then do a warranty return.

10-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
no power

First, I would just like to thank everyone that replied for their time. Second, sorry for confusion, but yeah, I do infact have the sanyo Eneloops, the same 8 I'd been using since I got the K-x. Cleaned bat terms as well as those in the camera, and even tried new alkalines. My camera didn't come with power adapter tho, I wonder if that is out there and if I tested it with that what would happen... Man does this make me miss film!
10-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
Raylon

Sounds like you got a lemon. Any halfway charged batteries will still at least turn the Kx on. Get a replacement.
10-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I still dont believe it's dead. It could be your charger that is not properly charging the eneloops. Buy Energiser Lithium Ultimates and try those. If that works then the first priority should be to update your firmware to 1.01. If it doesn't work then I agree you have a dead K-x.

Last edited by twitch; 10-21-2010 at 04:04 PM.
10-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #12

Sounds like a dead K-x to me if it won't turn on with alkaline batteries. (Barring batteries inserted wrong)
10-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Read the comment again, "fully charged lith-ions". That to me makes me think the OP is confused and is actually using crappy NiMH's. "Fully charged" to me means rechargable, if someone describes Lithium AA's it would be "new" or "fresh" as they cannot be charged.
ok, but regardless of the type of batteries used, the camera should still turn on with dumpy Alkalines or dumpy NiMHs. The camera is dead.
10-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I wonder what the outcome of this was...
10-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah I was thinking just today about how I sometimes don't go back and get closure to some of my concerns for others such as this.