Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K200D RAW Settings

Howdy-

Last night I was going through the camera's settings while preparing for a trip and again noted the RAW file format PEF vs DNG and the color space RGB vs Adobe RGB.

For practical purposes does it really matter which of these settings I use? Right now it is on DNG and Adobe RGB.

Thanks.

10-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you use adobeRGB, your JPEGs will have color profile issues in most browsers, as they only support sRBG. AFAIK, PEF also has some additional info that DNG files don't.

Don't quote me on this, though, as I'm not a big raw user!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-21-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Colour space setting doesn't matter to RAW as it will be chosen during the conversion stage on computer.
10-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Setting DNG is a great idea. However you are crazy to set AdobeRGB.

sRGB is all you need and will make your whole workflow much easier. Only use AdobeRGB if you know what you are doing and need it for a specific commercial or professional purpose.

10-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
For practical purposes does it really matter which of these settings I use? Right now it is on DNG and Adobe RGB.
If you are a purist(of the worst kind), then you would want to shoot in aRGB for the larger color space. However, Since AdobeRBG was conceived primarely for print, it has been said to have the misfortune of rendering flat tones on screen. Personally... I have never seen this. However, this is the word out of the street

Anyways, the short answer is, that aRGB has a larger color space from which to work from. And that it is perfect for printing. However, if you're intent is for screen, then you will want to convert it to sRGB at the conversion screen(Save for web or whatever)., as the options are there.

PS. I use aRGB exclusively on camera and convert to sRGB if I got to screen.
10-21-2010, 04:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

E-wisdom is AdobeRGB is strictly for printing; sRGB should be used for PC/online purposes. But, for whatever reason, the pics coming out of my K-x in sRGB looked awful on my e-IPS Dell monitor, while AdobeRGB renders them in a very natural fashion. Someone told me browsers and other PC's would make a mess of the colors, but I've seen on other screens pics I had posted online, and they weren't ugly at all, even on very old monitors. Also, I haven't noticed the 'flat look' supposedly specific to AdobeRGB. Never had to change the color space with my previous camera (K200d).
10-21-2010, 04:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Kill me for saying so, but on the issue of sRGB or Adobe RGB, I stand with Ken Rockwell:
sRGB vs. Adobe RGB
10-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For a while I used AdobeRGB on my K200D and K-x and got noticeably worse results. One extended-family group picture came out especially dull when I printed it. So now I use only sRGB in-camera.

Since the colorspace chosen on the camera only directly affects the JPGs, there's little point in using AdobeRGB, since you end up with JPGs virtually no one (or software) can manage. If you want a broad colorspace with your RAW files, you should be using something better like ProPhoto RGB anyway. Since with RAW files you set the colorspace when you bring them into your RAW software (such as Adobe Camera RAW) anyway, in-camera sRGB gives you the best of both worlds. I also stick with PEFs on the K200D, since I think it was one of the first (among all brands) to support DNG, but I have no concrete proof PEF is better.