Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D to K-x and still not a better photographer

I recently bought a K-x with the 18-55mm and the 55-300mm for my wife. Just could not resist the price drop. I must admit that I secretly thought that I would use it sometimes (OK, well often) since it is supposed to be a much better camera than my three years old K10D. I know all about the respective strenghts and weaknesses of these two cameras. The camera finally arrived two days ago. I updated the firmware and went for a little photowalk. When I came back home, I jumped on the computer to see how amazing these pictures would be on my computer screen, and guess what, I am not impressed. Yes the noise management at high ISO better, and the 5 fps is nice, but other than that, it is just another camera. I mean, I like my K10D a lot more. Feels more solid, handles better and the viewfinder is so nice compared to the K-x. With this experience I realized that the magazines and websites get let's says overexcited with these new cameras. The K-x appears to be lightyears ahead of the K10D according to the expert reviewers. As a mere amateur, I must confess that I these giant steps they are talking about as marginal improvements at best. I am not saying the K-x is not a good camera. Don't get me wrong it an excellent photograpy tool. But that's just what it is, a tool. I guess this camera is not going to instantly turn me into a professional photographer. Wait a second, maybe a new lens will

10-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Inactive Account

i've had both the k10 and now the kx.
there are quite a bit of improvement in the IQ and AF, but not in the overall usability.
k10 has more external buttons and controls, pentaprism so the "feel" is better.

but i wouldn't go back to the k10 from my kx. however, YMMV
10-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Well if you played an accoustic guitar & then went & bought a Fender Strat would you expect to be able to play it like Hendrix???

Cameras are just tools, however if you used your k10d in lowlight & then used your k-x at ISO3200 you would see an amazing difference.

A newer / better camera will not make you a better photographer, just help you get better shots in different situations...
10-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh dear you seem to have discovered the horrible truth that it's the photographer that takes a good picture, not the camera.

The K10D is a great camera as is and the K-x, despite it's few tweaks here and there, is not going to make that much difference in the long term. You also appear to have a nice collection of excellent lenses. Don't think another is going to help here.

10-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd return the camera because there's clearly something wrong with it. Canon and Nikon guarantee better pictures - just set it to P and frame the shot with the kit zoom. For even better photos, upgrade to L-glass or the good Nikkor stuff.

Pentax is doomed I tell you. DOOMED!

Tongue firmly in cheek...
10-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
Don't get me wrong it an excellent photograpy tool. But that's just what it is, a tool. I guess this camera is not going to instantly turn me into a professional photographer.

You said it. My photos got worse when I moved from compacts to a dslr, then got much better. Im getting a new dslr now from the d60 to the K-r I dont expect its going to make my photos that much better but like you said its more options in the toolbox.
10-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #7

Hi SylBer. I can somewhat relate to your post. I love my K10D as well especially ISO100 which has a very smooth look and great colour. There of course are times that I could use the high ISO performance of the Kx such as fast motion or concert photography etc.
However I have learned to make use of what the K10D has and it's strengths.
It is very easy to get the impression that High Iso solves all. It certainly helps but it still does not make light where there is none.
Since My style is somewhat casual and mostly of static subjects,portraits ,landscape or some street photography I am by no means a pro or action shooter so It will be less of an issue for me and similar types.
On the other hand I look forward to testing the K5as the ISO100 on that looks to be as nice as the K10D and seems to have better dynamic range. Its a pricey upgrade but it may allow me to explore shutter speeds faster that im used to.

However based on your set-up I agree the K10D is a worthy companion. If you need to try action you can always pull out your flash.

Overall I agree though there is much more to Photography that specs and gear.

I have an agreement with myself to reach a certain milestone with my skills before a go forward with any upgrades.
However i respect that some others may have specific needs for their upgrades

Cheers
Roger

10-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently bought a K-x with the 18-55mm and the 55-300mm for my wife. Just could not resist the price drop. I must admit that I secretly thought that I would use it sometimes (OK, well often) since it is supposed to be a much better camera than my three years old K10D. I know all about the respective strenghts and weaknesses of these two cameras. The camera finally arrived two days ago. I updated the firmware and went for a little photowalk. When I came back home, I jumped on the computer to see how amazing these pictures would be on my computer screen, and guess what, I am not impressed. Yes the noise management at high ISO better, and the 5 fps is nice, but other than that, it is just another camera. I mean, I like my K10D a lot more. Feels more solid, handles better and the viewfinder is so nice compared to the K-x. With this experience I realized that the magazines and websites get let's says overexcited with these new cameras. The K-x appears to be lightyears ahead of the K10D according to the expert reviewers. As a mere amateur, I must confess that I these giant steps they are talking about as marginal improvements at best. I am not saying the K-x is not a good camera. Don't get me wrong it an excellent photograpy tool. But that's just what it is, a tool. I guess this camera is not going to instantly turn me into a professional photographer. Wait a second, maybe a new lens will
did you instantly call pentax and complain that the long promised MINDREAD.EXEfunction that would make you a better photographer as soon as you put your hand on the grip was missing.

No offence here, but honestly, what did you expect. DId you change the way you shoot, how you frame subjects, your approach to lighting, ........ That's what makes a better photographer, not holding the latest and greatest new toy

QuoteOriginally posted by cabstar Quote
Well if you played an accoustic guitar & then went & bought a Fender Strat would you expect to be able to play it like Hendrix???

Cameras are just tools, however if you used your k10d in lowlight & then used your k-x at ISO3200 you would see an amazing difference.

A newer / better camera will not make you a better photographer, just help you get better shots in different situations...
+1

QuoteOriginally posted by fotaki Quote
Oh dear you seem to have discovered the horrible truth that it's the photographer that takes a good picture, not the camera.

The K10D is a great camera as is and the K-x, despite it's few tweaks here and there, is not going to make that much difference in the long term. You also appear to have a nice collection of excellent lenses. Don't think another is going to help here.
+1

To sum it all up,

life's a bitch, isn't it
10-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I kind of thought it might work like that for a bit. I haven't taken this bad a bunch of pics since I first picked up a pocket digital cam 10 years ago. I'm far too embarrassed to show any of the test pics I've done so far. Going from my Fuji to the *ist and a digital zoom lens it seems like I'm having to learn to focus all over again.

You're using a new camera, one with it's own quirks and new abilities. Unless you are very, very good, and have used many cameras I would think that you're bound to have some issues at first. But the new camera is the more advanced and once you're used to it you may find you will gain some skill at using it.

Bottom line though any camera can only do so much as your capable of doing with it. You read the blurbs on most DSLR's and it's like they're promising anyone that they can shoot like a pro with little effort. Don't you believe it. It's all marketing.

A DSLR is not a basic point and shoot by any means. It's an advanced camera. It takes time, patience, and skill to operate one well. Ditto the fancy digital lenses. There's a learning curve and maybe you're just expecting too much too soon and being to hard on yourself, that's all.

For what it's worth I get what you're saying. I had to learn to use a camera all over again when I went from my Fuji P&S to an SLR and lenses, now I'm practically doing the same thing again with the *ist. One of these days soon I might actually get back to the point where I can take a picture I'm proud to show off, but I'm not feeling too silly in the meantime because I remember having to do the same thing with the SLR in the beginning.

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
You said it. My photos got worse when I moved from compacts to a dslr, then got much better. Im getting a new dslr now from the d60 to the K-r I dont expect its going to make my photos that much better but like you said its more options in the toolbox.
10-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #10

Original Poster
Some of you did not seem to notice I was sacarstic. I know very well cameras are just tools and I am very satisfied with my actual lens lineup. My point is I expected the difference between the K-x and K10D IQ to be more important than that. Yes, high ISO is very much improved, but other than that I don't see the kind of differences the expert reviewers rave about.
10-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'd return the camera because there's clearly something wrong with it. Canon and Nikon guarantee better pictures - just set it to P and frame the shot with the kit zoom. For even better photos, upgrade to L-glass or the good Nikkor stuff.

Pentax is doomed I tell you. DOOMED!

Tongue firmly in cheek...
Really? Canon and Nikon guarantee better pictures? I'll send it back and put all my lenses on the Photo equipment market forum.
10-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hey, did you notice that the KX or K10D really look all that different at iso 200?
10-21-2010, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I upgraded to the K7 from the K10D it was for the ergonomics of the K7 which work better for the small and shaky of hand folk like me. What I noticed wasn't just the improved resolution of the K7. I noticed that I started taking more pictures and with that gained a better understanding of what a good lens could contribute to my efforts. What I would recommend is that you look at the pictures you have already taken and have stored on your computer and then critique them. Was it the exposure that wasn't quite right? The way the picture was framed? Was there a lack of sharpness or contrast? I have learned a tremendous amount through such a process. If you do it regularly enough, you will notice how your eye improves and how quickly you recognize what didn't go right with a picture. You will recall what went wrong when you faced a similar photo opportunity and you will do it better the next time. Some of the errors I made had a lot to do with not understanding how to use my camera's features, so studying the manual a little at a time is beneficial as well. My other suggestion would be to go to the Pentax website and look at the pictures in the gallery there. When I get sick of looking at my goofs, I take a break there and do the reverse of the process I described. I look at the pictures and ask myself what worked in the gallery picture? What gave it such an impact? The lighting? The subject? How the picture was framed? etc. My guess is that as you go through a similar process you will appreciate the Kx more and more:-) Two important features, of both of your cameras, can have a big impact on how your pictures turm out. Understanding what white balance is and how to adjust it properly is one one of them. The other is exposure compensation. It is worth a read of the manual and familiarizing yourself with how and when to adjust them will make a big difference.
10-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #14

I have both, I have the K-x for almost 1 year, but I just went back to the K-10 none low light shots, the only advantage K-x has over the K-10 is High ISO performance. But I like the K-10 color more specially at low ISO (ISO100).

I'm planning upgrade to the K-5 after the price is drop, but I hope the K-5 will have better AF that's close to Canon or Nikon semi-pro level. If not, I will move to the Nikon D7000 for lower price and better performance.

Last edited by winglik; 10-21-2010 at 10:28 PM.
10-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #15
Banned

Photos: Albums
Yes, high ISO is very much improved, but other than that I don't see the kind of differences the expert reviewers rave about.
What else did you expect other than high ISO performance and which reviewers raved about the K-x in comparison to the K10D?

You moved from a high end body with an excellent low ISO sensor to a low end body with an excellent high ISO sensor and you complain that other than high ISO you don't see anything else? That sounds about right to me.