Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
When I came back home, I jumped on the computer to see how amazing these pictures would be on my computer screen, and guess what, I am not impressed.
3 step process to getting better pictures from both camera's:

1. Stop using Auto Mode.
2. Learn to use Manual Mode.
3. Shoot RAW and learn to PP.

Otherwise, go get a P&S.

10-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #17

Excellent advice

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
When I upgraded to the K7 from the K10D it was for the ergonomics of the K7 which work better for the small and shaky of hand folk like me. What I noticed wasn't just the improved resolution of the K7. I noticed that I started taking more pictures and with that gained a better understanding of what a good lens could contribute to my efforts. What I would recommend is that you look at the pictures you have already taken and have stored on your computer and then critique them. Was it the exposure that wasn't quite right? The way the picture was framed? Was there a lack of sharpness or contrast? I have learned a tremendous amount through such a process. If you do it regularly enough, you will notice how your eye improves and how quickly you recognize what didn't go right with a picture. You will recall what went wrong when you faced a similar photo opportunity and you will do it better the next time. Some of the errors I made had a lot to do with not understanding how to use my camera's features, so studying the manual a little at a time is beneficial as well. My other suggestion would be to go to the Pentax website and look at the pictures in the gallery there. When I get sick of looking at my goofs, I take a break there and do the reverse of the process I described. I look at the pictures and ask myself what worked in the gallery picture? What gave it such an impact? The lighting? The subject? How the picture was framed? etc. My guess is that as you go through a similar process you will appreciate the Kx more and more:-) Two important features, of both of your cameras, can have a big impact on how your pictures turm out. Understanding what white balance is and how to adjust it properly is one one of them. The other is exposure compensation. It is worth a read of the manual and familiarizing yourself with how and when to adjust them will make a big difference.
I think think this is superb advice. Thanks for posting one of the best sets of tips on how to improve your shots I have read here.

cheers

Stefan
10-22-2010, 07:21 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Hey, did you notice that the KX or K10D really look all that different at iso 200?
I am not a pixel peeper, but they look very similar to my eyes. The real difference is in high ISO noise where the K-x is way ahead of the K10D IMHO.
10-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
I have both, I have the K-x for almost 1 year, but I just went back to the K-10 none low light shots, the only advantage K-x has over the K-10 is High ISO performance. But I like the K-10 color more specially at low ISO (ISO100).

I'm planning upgrade to the K-5 after the price is drop, but I hope the K-5 will have better AF that's close to Canon or Nikon semi-pro level. If not, I will move to the Nikon D7000 for lower price and better performance.
So do I but it must remain a secret. I really don't want my wife to know this I did not have the chance to test the AF-C function on the K-x, but I expect it to be better than that of the K10D according to the reviews. Also, the higher FPS would be a welcomed addition since I sometimes shoot birds in flight with my cousin who by the way owns a Canon 1D Mrk II. Do I have to tell you that I don't like to compare the pictures of my K10D with his when it comes to BIF. On the other hand, I like the rendering of the K10D better when it comes to landscape and portrait.

10-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
What else did you expect other than high ISO performance and which reviewers raved about the K-x in comparison to the K10D?

You moved from a high end body with an excellent low ISO sensor to a low end body with an excellent high ISO sensor and you complain that other than high ISO you don't see anything else? That sounds about right to me.
AF and FPS are supposed to be much better also. I do see a difference, but nothing that will make a significant difference on my photos. I agree with you for the rest of your post.
10-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote

1. Stop using Auto Mode.

Otherwise, go get a P&S.
Why is it that everyone here assume I use my camera in auto mode all the time. I don't consider myself a pro photographer, but I certainly am an advance amateur. I am member of a local photo club, I regularly submit photos to local contests and sometimes do very well. My point is I just realized the magazines and websites exagerate in their reviews. The gains they are talking about are more marginal than giant leap. I am not saying newer is not better, just that the difference is not as big as what I expected. By the way, your response is a little rude. Maybe you should read more than the original post before answering.
10-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
I think think this is superb advice. Thanks for posting one of the best sets of tips on how to improve your shots I have read here.

cheers

Stefan
Agree.

10-22-2010, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Why is it that everyone here assume I use my camera in auto mode all the time. I don't consider myself a pro photographer, but I certainly am an advance amateur. I am member of a local photo club, I regularly submit photos to local contests and sometimes do very well. My point is I just realized the magazines and websites exagerate in their reviews. The gains they are talking about are more marginal than giant leap. I am not saying newer is not better, just that the difference is not as big as what I expected. By the way, your response is a little rude. Maybe you should read more than the original post before answering.
I think he's saying that because he wonders if your post is serious. Just like getting expensive cookware won't make you an Iron Chef, getting a more expensive camera doesn't automatically make you a better photographer. It comes off as an "Uncle Bob" statement, which anyone who has shot weddings can tell you is frustrating.

Why don't you post a couple of your submitted shots? If you need improvement in framing or exposure then even the most expensive Canikon's not going to help you. And of course, magazines and websites are going to exaggerate! That's the nature of marketing. They'll try to sell you something which is more profound than the Second Coming but then announce something better later that year. Reviews for real-life users will always be your best bet. That's why I'm not on the K-5 bandwagon yet.

I'm not saying it to be a jerk so please don't take offence. I'm saying it so you can have more realistic expectations. Throwing good money after bad is something I wouldn't wish on anyone.
10-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Why is it that everyone here assume I use my camera in auto mode all the time.
Many people consider M as the magic mode. Knowing when to use EV comp in other modes is as valuable.
10-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #25

Nice read guys. Sometimes I feel that same when I compare my cousins canon t1i and t2i cameras and feel like even shooting at P mode, why my camera doesn't look the same. I think it might also have to do with the LCD screen that it's not as hi-res, and it feels like it's blurry or not as sharp. But I'm thinking, I'm still learning and eventually I'll find a way to get my shots looking better.

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote

1. Stop using Auto Mode.
I think he meant in general terms that anybody doing all 3 would make your pictures better...but for me, I think I got step one down!

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
When I upgraded to the K7 from the K10D it was for the ergonomics of the K7 which work better for the small and shaky of hand folk like me. What I noticed wasn't just the improved resolution of the K7. I noticed that I started taking more pictures and with that gained a better understanding of what a good lens could contribute to my efforts. What I would recommend is that you look at the pictures you have already taken and have stored on your computer and then critique them. Was it the exposure that wasn't quite right? The way the picture was framed? Was there a lack of sharpness or contrast? I have learned a tremendous amount through such a process. If you do it regularly enough, you will notice how your eye improves and how quickly you recognize what didn't go right with a picture. You will recall what went wrong when you faced a similar photo opportunity and you will do it better the next time. Some of the errors I made had a lot to do with not understanding how to use my camera's features, so studying the manual a little at a time is beneficial as well. My other suggestion would be to go to the Pentax website and look at the pictures in the gallery there. When I get sick of looking at my goofs, I take a break there and do the reverse of the process I described. I look at the pictures and ask myself what worked in the gallery picture? What gave it such an impact? The lighting? The subject? How the picture was framed? etc. My guess is that as you go through a similar process you will appreciate the Kx more and more:-) Two important features, of both of your cameras, can have a big impact on how your pictures turm out. Understanding what white balance is and how to adjust it properly is one one of them. The other is exposure compensation. It is worth a read of the manual and familiarizing yourself with how and when to adjust them will make a big difference.
Great advice! Thanks!
10-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #26
Banned

I traded down from my K20D to a K-x and I saw improvement in the IQ of my shots. But I think part of that was I had a bit more leeway with the ISO in 'normal' situations. Birding for instance. I could use a smaller aperture and higher ISO to help with DOF, and it showed. I think that the K-x gives you more exposure options. My K-x shots seemed sharper from the beginning as well. I may not have got the lens offsets just right on the K20D.

After about 9 months with the K-x I'm really happier with it than the K20D. I love the small size and the control layout, even with the single wheel it works very well. The only thing I miss is TAV mode.

But all that being said, I still pretty much suck on getting good compositions. I can get nicely exposed, poorly composed shots much more often with the K-x than the K20D;-)
10-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #27
Banned

Photos: Albums
AF and FPS are supposed to be much better also. I do see a difference, but nothing that will make a significant difference on my photos. I agree with you for the rest of your post.
Ah, if we go outside IQ, then there is video and live view as well, but I think he expected his images to look much different.
10-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
the magazines and websites get let's says overexcited with these new cameras
You are spot-on. Magazines and websites need advertisers. Advertisers make cameras. It's called marketing. In 2010 there's no such thing as honest reporting and it is no accident the ad for the lens appears on the page opposite its "serious technical review".

Cynical? You bet ya!
10-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I upgraded to the K20 from the K100, there were a number of items in the camera that did make a difference for me. I could do bracketing with a 2 second mirror up delay, iso100, warp speed SD writing, larger buffer so that I could handhold bracketed shots. 5 framed bracketed rather than 3.

All of these made a difference. I also shot more images over time and practice - well didn't quite make perfect, but made me better.

10-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Ah, if we go outside IQ, then there is video and live view as well, but I think he expected his images to look much different.
True. Video and live view are new additions, but I don't think I will use them very often. Perhaps live view will come handy in macro. But my wife will use both and that's one of the reason I bought the K-x for her. I did not buy the camera for myself but I was nonetheless looking forward to try it.

I guess this experience taught me that for me, the feel and built quality of a camera is just as important as IQ and other gadgets. I came to the same conclusion long ago when I bought my first limited lens. I like their feel and built quality of these lens just as much as I like their IQ.

So in the end, IQ and AF are marginally better onK-x, but it's not enough to compensate for the better built quality and handling of my K10D. Photography is a journey full of surprises.