Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
last year we saw the Kx and K7 and this year the Kr and the K5.

so next year will it be all 4 replaced or something else?
2011 ... December-ish ..... K4 minor upgrade
2013 ... April-ish .... K3 minor "plus" upgrade
2014 ... December-ish .... K1 !!! mirrorless FF, 24Mp, 25FPS, Wireless Tethering, Double SD slots plus CompactFlash slot, Flash Synch @ 1/500s, ISO 100-51200 expandable to 80-102400, auto subject-detect predictive 3D AF, AEB 2 to 12 frames in steps of 1, 2, 3 or 5; backward compatibility to all Pentax lenses ever made - adapters included; 4 years all inclusive warranty; newly designed 500 hours charge rechargeable-in-30 minutes-batteries (3 included); Pentax unlimited professional protection plan included.

JP

10-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
2014 ... December-ish .... K1 !!! mirrorless FF, 24Mp, 25FPS, Wireless Tethering, Double SD slots plus CompactFlash slot, Flash Synch @ 1/500s, ISO 100-51200 expandable to 80-102400, auto subject-detect predictive 3D AF, AEB 2 to 12 frames in steps of 1, 2, 3 or 5; backward compatibility to all Pentax lenses ever made - adapters included; 4 years all inclusive warranty; newly designed 500 hours charge rechargeable-in-30 minutes-batteries (3 included); Pentax unlimited professional protection plan included.

JP
... you left out the coffee maker.. and iso 25 would be nice.
10-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Hope so. I want a rotating LCD because there are so many other viewpoints beside the one 5 feet off the ground. That's all. Better high-ISO (yes, even better!) and AF-C would be nice.
+1 to this. I too wanted a swivel LCD as too many a times i wanted to take a low level short (near the ground) and my back, my back!!
10-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #19
Raylon

Pentax being a Japanese company, I can almost guarantee that there won't be a K-4, they will skip straight to K-3.

10-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

For incremental improvements its best for Pentax to produce a new model each year. Its what consumers crave.

However, if they introduce a true new model it probably take longer to design and implement.

In Pentaxes case I can see two potentials for a new camera:
- one with a swivelling screen between the Kr and K5; or
- true pro camera. More AF points, dual card slots, higher magnification viewfinder, upgraded buffer, uncrippled Kmount.

The 2nd option is unlikely as the volume probably wouldn't be high enough for us budget conscious Pentaxians.
10-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
... you left out the coffee maker.. and iso 25 would be nice.
I knew I had forgotten something after I posted!! What the heck was I thinking?!

JP
10-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I hope not, the market is over saturated as things are. And canon has been doing incremental improvements to their camera line over the years and look at how stagnant they have become.

10-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Pentax being a Japanese company, I can almost guarantee that there won't be a K-4...
But the K-4 would be a memorable finale for the Pentax. Okay I am just kidding.
10-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I would definitely be wary of tossing out minor incremental upgrades. If I'm not mistaken, Canon and Olympus caught some considerable backlash from fans over the 60D and E-5 respectively, because they were not seen as being enough of an upgrade over their predecessors to spend that kind of money.

Sure, the uninformed consumers would get attracted by the "latest and greatest", but in the market for high end DSLRs, I don't think Pentax has enough fanatical devotees as say, Canon, to just buy up any old upgrade they toss out, given how many people skipped the K-7.

They should focus on making huge leaps in quality and features like they did with the K-x over its predecessor and the competition. That's a large part of the reason why the K-x caught the attention of so many people who had not even heard of Pentax before (like me). If they can do that in a year, great! If not, better to wait than to release a half-baked, barely upgrade product that'll have people yawning and passing it over. As Sony shows, tons of "new" DSLRs every few months do not translate into sales.

Last edited by Cannikin; 10-22-2010 at 10:06 PM.
10-23-2010, 06:18 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

JP
the underlined part is the least likely to happen of your predictions
10-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I would definitely be wary of tossing out minor incremental upgrades. If I'm not mistaken, Canon and Olympus caught some considerable backlash from fans over the 60D and E-5 respectively, because they were not seen as being enough of an upgrade over their predecessors to spend that kind of money.

Sure, the uninformed consumers would get attracted by the "latest and greatest", but in the market for high end DSLRs, I don't think Pentax has enough fanatical devotees as say, Canon, to just buy up any old upgrade they toss out, given how many people skipped the K-7.

They should focus on making huge leaps in quality and features like they did with the K-x over its predecessor and the competition. That's a large part of the reason why the K-x caught the attention of so many people who had not even heard of Pentax before (like me). If they can do that in a year, great! If not, better to wait than to release a half-baked, barely upgrade product that'll have people yawning and passing it over. As Sony shows, tons of "new" DSLRs every few months do not translate into sales.
Actually the 60D is completely unrelated to the previous xxD bodies, the 7D is the next body in that series.

But still you are right, there was some dust up when the 40D came out as it was not that much of an improvement over the 30D. And in a way you could say the same for the 50D. As for their consumer lines, I never paid attention to those models.

I am very disappointed that Pentax did not improve the data bus/pipeline. I have no idea where the bottleneck exists and really do not care, of course it could be the move to 14-bit alone being enough extra overhead, but even the 7D (14-bit also) with it's dual processors is not that much faster though it's enough of a difference to "make the difference needed". If that bit makes any sense.