Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
so, will it be a new body every year?

last year we saw the Kx and K7 and this year the Kr and the K5.

so next year will it be all 4 replaced or something else?

10-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can only hope, so it drives the price down of the K-5, which I really want!
10-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote

I was thinking about this the other day. I'm not sure how much more Pentax can do to improve the next camera over the K-5. It might be the perfect time for them to come out with something entirely different and then upgrade the K-5 the following year.
10-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Most DSLR's see around an 18-month product cycle. Spring 2012 should bring a K-5 replacement.

10-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote

Hope so. I want a rotating LCD because there are so many other viewpoints beside the one 5 feet off the ground. That's all. Better high-ISO (yes, even better!) and AF-C would be nice.
10-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the K-5 and K-r were introduced to address several shortcomings in the preceding models. In the K-7 the sensor could not match the competition at high ISO and AF. In the K-x, so many expressed their frustration with the AF point not being shown in the viewfinder. Pentax responded and took corrective steps and made improvements in other areas as well. I look at it as a marketing issue as the quicker Pentax could come out with an improved model, the better it will fare in fighting the competition. Just hope Pentax will never go the route of Canon where the new models only show small incremental upgrades over the outgoing models. OP, maybe it's time to upgrade and retire you old camera...
10-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
I can only hope, so it drives the price down of the K-5, which I really want!
Yeah, but then you'll want the K-3, haha!!

10-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #8

I hope so, Im saving up for the "next big thing" from Pentax,
lets hope that this 2012 there will be another great camera!
10-22-2010, 03:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I think the K-5 and K-r were introduced to address several shortcomings in the preceding models. In the K-7 the sensor could not match the competition at high ISO and AF. In the K-x, so many expressed their frustration with the AF point not being shown in the viewfinder. Pentax responded and took corrective steps and made improvements in other areas as well. I look at it as a marketing issue as the quicker Pentax could come out with an improved model, the better it will fare in fighting the competition. Just hope Pentax will never go the route of Canon where the new models only show small incremental upgrades over the outgoing models. OP, maybe it's time to upgrade and retire you old camera...
nah..the camera is fine now that used to it, just need more glass. most likely going the FA or Sigma DG route.
10-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I was thinking about this the other day. I'm not sure how much more Pentax can do to improve the next camera over the K-5. It might be the perfect time for them to come out with something entirely different and then upgrade the K-5 the following year.
They can put more AF sensors in (11 point is kinda last decade now), a lot of people think a faster flash sync is the Holy Grail (I don't), they can give the camera dual processors, with one dedicated to image processing, and give the camera a larger buffer.
They could reintroduce tethering (which may be supportable on the present platform, and is just not being done).
They could put predictive AF with multipoint follow focus (I believe the 7D does this) into a new camera.

Anyway, there is still room for improvements in the present platform.
10-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

most consumers won't buy a last year model when there is a new one around even though the *istD is probably enough for 99% of the use a new K-5 would have, and the gap can be filled with a little knowledge.
It would have been better for all if Pentax directed their recources towards new lenses and accessories instead but as long as the competitors update their camera line up, Pentax has no choice but to do the same.
I'm pretty sure that Pentax's slow near-death in the 90's was greatly aid by not updating the top models enough, arguable though
10-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

btw if we're into spec request, I'd like that thing I think the Hassys do where you focus your subject with the center point and it locks the focus to that spot even when you recompose. that would be much useful for me than 165 more cross type 3D predictive focus points
10-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #13

waiting for the k3 to fix the few remaining issues with the k5

BUFFER! the k5 buffer performance is disapointing - i want 2 or more seconds of raw shooting.

Autofocus - af tracking and some more af points for it to work with - seems the k5 now has the speed and low light bit sorted though - could throw in video af too

and well 18 months on, hell why not have iso 100k and maybe even 200K and even better dynamic range

so think most will upgrade not every year but when the things they want arrive so hopes high for k3 though
10-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

There's plenty of work to do in the existing product families with modest improvements in existing capabilities.

However, I suspect some limitations in "buffer" and video are related to PRIME II. It may be time for new image processing and a new (HW) processor.

In terms of system architecture, the camera is a far from optimum place to perform certain image manipulation functions. We can do a much better job of HDR, image stacking, NR, etc. on a standard Intel/AMD desktop.

But the user base doesn't think a great deal about optimum architecture. Nor should it.

People who buy cameras want better photos created (and shared) more easily and more quickly. I expect we'll see a PRIME III before too long that will get us all lathered up.

But after the mandatory K-5 purchase, I may miss that train ......

I wonder if that PRIME III can be coupled with EVIL, 645D Mk II, and/or FF introduction ......
10-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Needed or not, very short product cycle has been the reason of success for the Japanese the last 3 decades, even though most of the products were not needed but to stay ahead of the competitions, and eventually snowballing to become a drag race which makes no sense but beyond anyone's control. Buy! Just buy! We need them all believe me.