Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to Shoot in Cold Snowy Environments

An article in the Globe and Mail about photography in cold and snow. No mention of the K7/K5 cold/wet weather ability.

How to shoot in cold, snowy environments - The Globe and Mail

10-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
No mention of the K7/K5 cold/wet weather ability.
What's your point?
10-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This is good info. I try to chill my equipment a couple hours before leaving and do a quick functions check - nothing is worse than getting out there and not having working stuff. It also travels to and from the locating in a cold place (trunk usually) as I don't want it going from warm to cold repeatedly.

The warming is also best done in stages if possible. I never thought about the plastic bag thing - I'll have to try it. I normally move it to the garage, let it warm, then move it to the house. Once in the house I wrap it in a towel in the hope it'll suck any condensation away. I don't know if that works or not, but I've always done it.
10-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GoSharks Quote
What's your point?
Weather sealing.

10-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Weather sealing.
Yes, it's a pity that Pentax doesn't yet seem to have the profile to come to mind when this sort of article is written.

That said, if you spend long enough in the cold nothing can really help. Batteries all die, and then most cameras are finished. One time on a mountaintop in BC at night even my all-manual film camera was no good because the film was too stiff to run through the camera.
10-22-2010, 02:51 AM   #6

Yes, it's a pity that Pentax doesn't yet seem to have the profile to come to mind when this sort of article is written.

That said, if you spend long enough in the cold nothing can really help. Batteries all die, and then most cameras are finished. One time on a mountaintop in BC at night even my all-manual film camera was no good because the film was too stiff to run through the camera.
Don't know why you need to bring specific camera models into this when the article is written in terms of general equipment pointers. Everything that is written about in that article is still applicable to sealed cameras.

It is an excellent article at pointing out things that will affect taking photos in "cold, snowy environments," which you seem to gloss over when you put in that quip about Pentax.

Last edited by GoSharks; 10-22-2010 at 02:57 AM.
10-22-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice article. Appreciate your sharing it.
10-22-2010, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Albums
Actually the most important thing to working the camera in a cold environment, is to have the correct clothes and be able to keep warm, comfortable and properly hydrated for the period of time when one is exposed to the cold; have the proper equipment to efficiently get to and fro where one's headed; have the proper eye protection if travelling over sunny snowscapes; and proper gloves and/or sets thereof that permit one to work the camera and lenses without having occasional digits freeze solid and snap off.

Once that's sorted out, then take care of the photographic equipment. If you're cold and miserable and can't find your fingers, you won't be able to take good photos.

10-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by conradj Quote
If you're cold and miserable and can't find your fingers, you won't be able to take good photos.
Very well said. It applies to any outdoor activity, doesn't it. I'm in the process of returning to Canada from Japan and one thing I'd like to get into again is snowshoeing. Your list is good enough that I'm recording it against that day.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Nice article. Appreciate your sharing it.
Yup.

Don't know why you need to bring specific camera models into this when the article is written in terms of general equipment pointers. Everything that is written about in that article is still applicable to sealed cameras.

It is an excellent article at pointing out things that will affect taking photos in "cold, snowy environments,"
Yes, I can see that the article has value, that's why I shared it.

which you seem to gloss over when you put in that quip about Pentax.
Nope, it was just an aside.

GoSharks, I can see that you're new here. There are plenty of tools on this site to check out someone's history. If you'd done so with me you'd note that I'm an active contributor here and am in fact currently spearheading a book project to get the work of some of my fellow PentaxForums members published. Instead you went about it looking to start something over nothing. Take it somewhere else.
10-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I read somewhere that those vacuum storage bags they sell for storing clothes, the bags you suck the air out with a vacuum cleaner then seal once the clothing has compressed inside the bag, are also very good for avoiding the condensation problem.

I think that the battery door should be opened to avoid putting negative pressure on the seals ?
10-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #11

oSharks, I can see that you're new here. There are plenty of tools on this site to check out someone's history. If you'd done so with me you'd note that I'm an active contributor here and am in fact currently spearheading a book project to get the work of some of my fellow PentaxForums members published. Instead you went about it looking to start something over nothing. Take it somewhere else.
Just because I don't post as often as others doesn't mean that I'm new.

I came into the thread expecting to see the information relating to the topic. When I got here, I see a link and the only original comment I saw was that there was nothing said about Pentax cameras. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
10-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by conradj Quote
Actually the most important thing to working the camera in a cold environment, is to have the correct clothes and be able to keep warm, comfortable and properly hydrated for the period of time when one is exposed to the cold; have the proper equipment to efficiently get to and fro where one's headed; have the proper eye protection if travelling over sunny snowscapes; and proper gloves and/or sets thereof that permit one to work the camera and lenses without having occasional digits freeze solid and snap off.

Once that's sorted out, then take care of the photographic equipment. If you're cold and miserable and can't find your fingers, you won't be able to take good photos.
I've usually had enough long before my camera will ever exhibit any adverse effects from the cold. I have spent a couple of hours appox. shooting halfpipe or moguls competitions and my fingers are numb, my back is starting to ache, and I finally get to the point where I have to get inside. Stationary shooting outside in the winter is difficult. I have carried my K10D for hours on X-C ski tours or winter hikes with no ill effects or battery issues.
10-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #13

Very well said. It applies to any outdoor activity, doesn't it. I'm in the process of returning to Canada from Japan and one thing I'd like to get into again is snowshoeing. Your list is good enough that I'm recording it against that day.
o!

That's what i do too, snowshoe.

Breathable layers, that's the ticket, with either some wind blocking on an easily removable top layer, or enough layers to keep the wind out. And i always tote a pack with extra layers and socks in it, along with liquid, quick energy food and more gloves and headgear, like breathable balaclava's. Over hours weather conditions can change more than one's originally dressed for. Also, being able to change out sweaty sox is a blessing.

i've poor circulation and find that gloves, socks and footwear have to be loose enough not to constrict (can be a problem when layering gloves and sox), or the bits and pieces will get cold fast.

i also believe in keeping knees warm since they're complex, load bearing joints and one can't get home without them.
10-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about...

How avoiding that cold????

Our latest winter was very cold (by our standards) and I did go ut to shoot and I did NOT take any precautions (except for using the sealed gear in snow) and the bottom line is, if you dont stay out too long, no problem at all, K-7 was more weather (cold weather ofcourse) than I was...
10-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I've usually had enough long before my camera will ever exhibit any adverse effects from the cold. I have spent a couple of hours appox. shooting halfpipe or moguls competitions and my fingers are numb, my back is starting to ache, and I finally get to the point where I have to get inside. Stationary shooting outside in the winter is difficult. I have carried my K10D for hours on X-C ski tours or winter hikes with no ill effects or battery issues.
--Do you do anything special for gloves and head gear?

My life outdoors in the great white north got more comfy once i got breathable balaclava's to wear under my toque and other headgear.

i also have really big mitts i put on over my gloves for when i stand around doing nothing. Lets me use thin gloves so's to manipulate the camera better. i take off the mitts to use the camera, then put them back on afterwards to keep warm.

i gave up on layering socks for active use and found it better just to have extras to change out the sweaty ones, but can see that for standing around layering with undersocks will still be very useful. Just be sure all the footwear doesn't constrict circulation. My boots are 3 sizes larger than my summer shoes.

It's mostly cheap stuff; don't tend to go expensive for things that'll get worn out easy. And i also do a lot of spinning of my arms, use centrifugal force to bring blood back into my fingers.