Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
How am I the first to say that size definitely matters to a woman?

10-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was fortunate enough to handle many cameras in the year it took me to decide. The Alpha A200 met my needs and was a great fit. When looking to step up, their only answer was the A700, but it was way too big for my grip - so I bought a K100d to test the Pentax waters. It was a bit small, but when the K-7 June bargains came up I found it was a size match to my A200: sold!

Indeed if you feel you're shooting less often with a larger camera, you have the wrong one. My K-7 is in Portland, if that helps any!
10-22-2010, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

As far as size goes, I did some comparisons between my K-5 (same body as K-7) and my K-x. Just eyeballing them side by side, I honestly could not see any real difference in dimensions between the two. I had to line them up back to back to actually see that the K-5 was very slightly (less than 1cm) wider. With NiMH batteries (roughly twice the weight of lithiums) in the K-x, the difference in weight is fairly small.

The difference is in the ergonomics, especially with regards to the grip. The grip in the K-5 is significantly more substantial. My hands are not tiny, but still relatively small compared to most guys I know (I've tried holding the 50D and 7D before, and they were simply too large for me). With the K-x I found that the grip is thin enough that most of my palm is usually suspended off the grip, with all the torque being borne by my fingertips and the heel of my palm. K-5's well shaped and well balanced grip fits my hand much more comfortably. Oh and this is relatively minor, but the K-x's grip contains some creaky plastic, while the K-5 is solid as a rock. It really gives you confidence in the durability.

There were a lot of other reasons why I upgraded from the K-x to the K-5, but when I got around to actually holding a K-7 at my local Fry's, ergonomics became one of them, despite them being relatively close in size and weight. It would be an even bigger reason if I was using a substaintially larger camera like the K20D

Last edited by Cannikin; 10-22-2010 at 08:09 PM.
10-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that depends entirely on you, and what you're aiming for with your photography. I use a nikon D3s which is, to put it bluntly; a brick. For my personal ,I prefer the smaller Pentax K7 or my Leica M9.

10-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I'm in exactly the same situation as you. I originally had a *ist D, and bought it because at that time it was the smallest DSLR in the market, and the size was perfect for me.

Then I bought the K10D and felt it was too big and heavy for me. I think I am used to it now, but would prefer the smaller size/weight.

Nearly bought a K-x last year.

I was in a shop the other day and they had the K-7, K-x and K20D side by side. I couldn't believe how small the K-7 was (this is the first time I have seen one in person) - it was almost the same size as the K-x. The K20D sitting next to them look ginormous in comparison.

Based on this, I'll probably buy the K-5 (waiting for a good price). The main downside of the K-x and K-r is the pentamirror and the lack of controls. It's probably good for point and shoot scenarios but probably frustrating for times when I want to fiddle.
Thanks, this helps a lot. Your reasons for not going K-x or K-r are very similar to mine, in addition to the lack of a top screen display. The K-7 has all the features I want, plus it's small.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
How am I the first to say that size definitely matters to a woman?
In this case, at least, that turns out to be oh so true!

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I was fortunate enough to handle many cameras in the year it took me to decide. The Alpha A200 met my needs and was a great fit. When looking to step up, their only answer was the A700, but it was way too big for my grip - so I bought a K100d to test the Pentax waters. It was a bit small, but when the K-7 June bargains came up I found it was a size match to my A200: sold!

Indeed if you feel you're shooting less often with a larger camera, you have the wrong one. My K-7 is in Portland, if that helps any!
Oooh, tempting! I don't get up to Portland very often, though. But since we're on the subject, have you had any luck finding actual Pentax products in stores up there? Part of the reason I ended up with too large a camera in the first place was my inability to lay hands on them before buying. I'm down in albany, but we trek up every couple of months to visit Powell's.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
As far as size goes, I did some comparisons between my K-5 (same body as K-7) and my K-x. Just eyeballing them side by side, I honestly could not see any real difference in dimensions between the two. I had to line them up back to back to actually see that the K-5 was very slightly (less than 1cm) wider. With NiMH batteries (roughly twice the weight of lithiums) in the K-x, the difference in weight is fairly small.
This is very, very handy to know! Thanks for making that comparison and sharing. I've held a K-x, so that makes the choice easy. A K-7 is definitely in my future. (I'd love a K-5, but there's no way I can swing and/or justify the extra $ for one.)

Thanks everyone, this has been a very helpful thread. I've already put my name on a K-7 from the marketplace, and put my K20D up for sale, much as it gives me a pang to do so. I just remind myself - I'll soon have another amazing camera, only built to fit me.
10-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by suliabryon Quote
This is very, very handy to know! Thanks for making that comparison and sharing. I've held a K-x, so that makes the choice easy. A K-7 is definitely in my future. (I'd love a K-5, but there's no way I can swing and/or justify the extra $ for one.)

Thanks everyone, this has been a very helpful thread. I've already put my name on a K-7 from the marketplace, and put my K20D up for sale, much as it gives me a pang to do so. I just remind myself - I'll soon have another amazing camera, only built to fit me.
No problem! Here's a couple crappy blurry-cam pictures courtesy of my cell phone just so you can see the size comparison:

10-23-2010, 03:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Not much to add beyond that which has already been said. No one-size camera will be perfect for all. I prefer the heft and size of the K10/20 to the smaller K7. It just feels better to me. All things being equal feature wise you should go with the model, which feels best to you. You’re going to have to live with the camera for quite a while in most instances so add this into the criteria when selecting a camera.

Tom G

10-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

For me the ergonomics of the camera proved to be very important. For many years I had used Canon film cameras, finishing with a large EOS 600 ( which I still have ) that I loved, I have big hands and more importantly I feel that a heavy camera is easier to use and control shake with, but I might be wrong.

So when I decided to go digital the first choice was a Canon again, but the entry and middle level camera's were small and light and just felt wrong. I picked up a K10 ( same body as your K20 ) and it felt right, I bought it on the spot.

That was my experience with a big heavy camera, and I haven't regretted it one bit. If the camera feels 'right' then it probably will be 'right'
10-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Just a suggestion.

Don't sell your K20D until you have bought the K-7 and tested them side by side.

I do think that you'll probably like the K-7 better but who knows ...

I'm planning to keep my K10D when (if?) I get a K-5. I guess I'm too sentimental to get rid of it.

Or maybe I'm too used to the size and weight and may even prefer it. A friend of mine (who is used to me complaining my K10D is too big and heavy) lent me his EOD 1D, and I must admit I did not have too much problems carrying this huge camera around for a few hours so that has recalibrated my perspective a little bit.

Probably the excitement of shooting at 10fps on the EOS 1D also helped ...
10-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I don't think I will ever buy a camera sight unseen. I will go to a brick and mortar store and see first hand what I'm getting. It's going to be difficult for me and probably ending up in an all day trip to NYC.
10-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I don't think I will ever buy a camera sight unseen. I will go to a brick and mortar store and see first hand what I'm getting. It's going to be difficult for me and probably ending up in an all day trip to NYC.
At least you have that option. No one in the state of Illinois carries Pentax anymore.
10-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

About a month ago, I bought a used K20D here on the marketplace. I love the camera. I am having all kinds of fun playing with it and learning how to use it. I figure it will take years, with no need to upgrade for my hobbyist activities for quite some time.

However, I am a smallish woman, with very small hands, and often I find the camera big and bulky to hold and use. Since I was switching from a P&S to my first DSLR, I thought this was just something to get used to. But then a friend recently picked up a K-x, and I got the chance to hold it. What a difference! It just seems to fit naturally in my hands.

However, I really like the weather resistance and options on the K20D. A little bit of research yielded that the K-7 is lighter and smaller, so I think it might be worth it for me to sell the K20D and spend a little extra money on a K-7. It's just a couple hundred outside my original budget, so I'm hedging. I don't feel I need to upgrade for any features - the K20D feels like plenty of camera to keep my busy for some time to come! It's literally just a size and comfort of use issue. So, those of you with more experience using different camera bodies, have you found that ergonomics make a pretty big difference for you?
My wife is in the same situation as you but perhaps she is in a worst off condition. She has a minor surgery on her right hand some years ago and her hands are not that strong. The K-7 without the grip is okay for her but with the grip is too much.

But after handling my k-7 for a while, she decided she did not like it. So i brought her to have a detail look at the k-x and she said the size is just right for her hands.

Maybe you can either look at the k-x or the k-r if you dont mind the lack of weather sealing.

Hope this helps.
10-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another option: the K200d.
It has weather resistance and top LCD display and is about the same size as the K-7. It is about 100g lighter.
You lose video and a few other things though.

I have the K-7 and love the ergonomics, and using primes it is plenty light enough. However when carrying it and one of the zooms (16-45mm, 55-300mm) I found it cracks the 1kg mark, and that is too heavy for me to carry around all day.

I found the grip on the K-7 to be better than the K200d.
I didn't like the viewfinder on the K200d.

I would rate the viewfinders of the cameras as *IST DS>K-7>K200d. I miss my *IST viewfinder.

Last edited by Clarkey; 10-24-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: viewfinder comment.
11-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #29

Original Poster
Just an update to let everyone know - I did indeed change to a K-7. Packing up my K20D was actually really sad, even though I only had it for a short time. I loved so much about the camera, just not the size/weight. I had to send it off before receiving my new-to-me K-7, so wasn't able to make any direct comparisons, but, my first impression of the K-7 is:

I am totally in love! It's actually quite heavy, still, (not bad, just surprising) but the size is perfect for my hands. I took a couple of test shots, and it is already SO MUCH easier for me to operate (everything at my fingertips, literally) that it's like night and day. My sadness over waving good-bye to my K20D was very short lived.