Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
LOL Canon. Canon users are generally unhappy grumps. Pay no attention to them.

Here's one reason why they are unhappy - it shows that the K-x can deliver better image quality than the much more 'professional' and expensive Canon 7D:
Now put the K-X and 7D in center point focus and take it indoors with so-so lighting. Watch how the K-X will struggle to lock focus around 30% of the time while the 7D will keep firing away.

10-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
Now put the K-X and 7D in center point focus and take it indoors with so-so lighting. Watch how the K-X will struggle to lock focus around 30% of the time while the 7D will keep firing away.
It means the humble K-X has equaled or even beaten in some areas the far more costly 7D for Image Quality.

Just accept it graciously.

Of course, the 7D is overall a more polished package.
10-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
It means the humble K-X has equaled or even beaten in some areas the far more costly 7D for Image Quality.

Just accept it graciously.

Of course, the 7D is overall a more polished package.
I definitely accept it because I own both (clue read my SIG)! For IQ and ISO Pentax is definitely up there with the competition, but AF sucks at least for the K-X and the cameras before its generation. I just can't stand the numerous and sometimes off-topic disparaging remarks about the 7D when they don't even own one or at least handle one with reasonable time spent with it. Sound more like *enis envy to me.

But what is the use of image quality when you keep on missing the moment? Bet you some beginner will advise me to use the Auto 11 or Auto 5 point.

Last edited by Conan; 10-23-2010 at 08:15 PM.
10-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

But what is the use of image quality when you keep on missing the moment?
But we are talking real estate photos here.... houses don't move around much.

10-24-2010, 02:02 AM   #20
Forum Member

Lucky for Pentax!
10-24-2010, 03:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LOL Canon. Canon users are generally unhappy grumps. Pay no attention to them.

Here's one reason why they are unhappy - it shows that the K-x can deliver better image quality than the much more 'professional' and expensive Canon 7D:
Can I get a poster of that!?!
10-24-2010, 04:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I definitely accept it because I own both (clue read my SIG)! For IQ and ISO Pentax is definitely up there with the competition, but AF sucks at least for the K-X and the cameras before its generation. I just can't stand the numerous and sometimes off-topic disparaging remarks about the 7D when they don't even own one or at least handle one with reasonable time spent with it. Sound more like *enis envy to me.

But what is the use of image quality when you keep on missing the moment? Bet you some beginner will advise me to use the Auto 11 or Auto 5 point.
*enis envy? Your post sounds to me like someone is overcompensating. Perhaps you should look at the name of the web site you are on before you complain about disparaging remarks about a Canon product. By the way, the K-x does have slightly better IQ than the 3 times more expensive 7D. That's not a disparaging remark, that's a fact. If you don't like it complain to Canon, or at least on whatever web site Canon users go to.

AF issues? The AF on my K10 works just fine for me, thank you very much. Perhaps it is a user issue. Either way, I don't think that AF performance is that big of an issue in real estate photography.

10-24-2010, 04:21 AM   #23
Veteran Member

To the OP:

The k-x is a perfectly good camera for real estate photography. When you feel you are ready you can experiment with the k-x's in camera HDR to help with high contrast scenes.

I'd bet this goes without saying, but you should have the black version of the k-x. The bright orange might look a tad unprofessional!
10-24-2010, 05:22 AM   #24
Forum Member

Overcompensating? I'm just stating facts from using both systems. And I was referring to a certain member of this forum who puts down the 7D at almost every opportunity even if it's not really part of the topic (Canon hater as was mentioned by someone else in another thread).

If you're happy with your K10 then good for you!

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
*enis envy? Your post sounds to me like someone is overcompensating. Perhaps you should look at the name of the web site you are on before you complain about disparaging remarks about a Canon product. By the way, the K-x does have slightly better IQ than the 3 times more expensive 7D. That's not a disparaging remark, that's a fact. If you don't like it complain to Canon, or at least on whatever web site Canon users go to.

AF issues? The AF on my K10 works just fine for me, thank you very much. Perhaps it is a user issue. Either way, I don't think that AF performance is that big of an issue in real estate photography.
10-24-2010, 05:22 AM   #25
P12

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yes it is the black version.

Didn't mean to start a bashing session. I was basing my concern on the equipment lists of people that were in that proffession. Most of the ones I found that were shooting high end r/estate were using the larger format cameras.

So far I love my K-x. Just needed some input to get me back on track and put my concerns to rest.

I am now confident in my choice of camera.
10-24-2010, 05:35 AM   #26
k54
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi P12, I'm a Kx user myself and at the same time a Nikon user too. I'm happier with what i can do with my Kx especially in low light.

Follow the advice of Hangu for the DA12-24 lens then use F/8, center weighted and you will produce sharp pictures.

AF is not that important as you are going to shoot real state or objects that are not moving.
If I will be the one to shoot the scene, I will switch the AF mode to Manual and the cam to M mode.

Try mastering the M mode so that you will improve your skills and not rely on technology and you will be happy with your Kx and not regret buying it for your intended job and purpose.
10-24-2010, 05:41 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by P12 Quote
Is it possible to use the K-x with quality glass to achieve professional realestate results since it does not have a full size sensor?
To be a professional photographer you are required to use either Canon or Nikon imaging equipment. You are also required to pass a certification test and become fully accredited by your State's Professional Photography Board, as a Board Certified Professional Photographer (BCPP). Membership in the Global Professional Photographers Association (GPPA) is required. The use of any Pentax imaging equipment is expressly prohibited by the Global Professional Photographers Association bylaws and code of ethics (however use of Pentax Surveying or Pentax Medical Imaging equipment is permitted in a number of limited instances - special waiver requirements apply). If detected taking photographs with Pentax equipment that will be used in any manner other than for strictly non commercial use, shall necessitate the revocation of your GPPA membership, the loss of your BCPP accreditation in addition to the loss of Professional status. You will also have to pay a fine, be required to purchase either a Canon or Nikon equipment, and to write on a blackboard 100,000 time - "I will only use Canon and Nikon equipment for photography".
If you persist in using Pentax imaging equipment - you will be labeled as an "Outlaw Photographer". You will be subject to ridicule by Canon and Nikon photographers.

Last edited by interested_observer; 10-24-2010 at 05:47 AM.
10-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I shoot real estate professionally with my K-x... I bring my old 5d mk1 as a backup body.
Real estate isn't exactly demanding on the camera anyway. Tripod is your friend.
10-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Except during hurricanes, earthquakes, and mudslides.

Which probably aren't good times to shoot real estate.

More seriously, a realtor of my acquaintance shoots their properties with an ancient 2mpx Sony Mavica, the kind that stores images on a stiffy disk. The images are just fine for flyers, MLS, media ads, etc. Although they lack that Pentax magic, eh?

But really, a Kx with a 12-24 on a tripod and/or with a simple 2-flash setup will produce images beyond the standards of any target media for you. And its video output is good enough for HDTV, right? Multimedia, here you come!

Oh yeah, if you're concerned with ultimate resolution, forget about Canikony, Leica, Hasselblad, the 645D, all those. Get a US$100 Yashicamat 124G and a Nikon negative scanner. Now you can shoot billboard photos. Have fun!

Last edited by RioRico; 10-25-2010 at 12:17 AM.