Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Kx as a prof. format?

Is it possible to use the K-x with quality glass to achieve professional realestate results since it does not have a full size sensor?

10-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #2

Full Size Sensor?

Its "Full" APS-C like K20D, or K10, oder K7 oder K5.

Look for "benjikan" here in the Forum, he uses the K20D and get quite impressive images.

If you mean "Full-Frame" like 5d MK III oder D700, you can get a lot of crap out of this cameras, the picture you take is more up to you then the camera
10-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by P12 Quote
professional realestate results
By this do you mean images that can be used online for real estate postings and perhaps on some printed flyers? If so, then you certainly don't need a larger sensor for this type of work.
10-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely, just get the DA12-24 for distortion free indoor images.

10-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
P12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JamieP Quote
By this do you mean images that can be used online for real estate postings and perhaps on some printed flyers? If so, then you certainly don't need a larger sensor for this type of work.
Yes. This. Online pics and printed high quality flyers.

Full size sensor is meant as Mehlsack described in the 5Dmkii format. I think it is a 35x26mm sensor. Larger format more data.

My question might be best stated as does the larger sensor lend that much higher quality images that a client would balk at the use of a camera like the K-x?

But I think you guys have ansered my question.
10-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm getting very high quality 11x17 prints with my K-x and DA12-24mm lens. I'm sure I can push it even more if need be.
10-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
P12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Absolutely, just get the DA12-24 for distortion free indoor images.
That is the plan.

10-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

What the heck is a "full size sensor"?
A LEAF back?
Is the 645 full size?

I used to wonder that very thing when I was shooting film. I used a 6x7, but I recall seeing a bunch of so called "professionals" shooting with these little 35mm SLR cameras.
Results are what matters.
I know a lot of guys, myself included, who shoot very good interiors with APS-C format cameras.
10-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #9

frankly, not to much people need a fullframe sensor, but that is another discussion...

The K-x makes great pictures and easily is good enough for your use.

I agree to buying the DA 12-24. This is a great wide angle lens and very versatile.
Another option is the DA 15 Ltd, that I own, but this has no zoom and may be not flexible for you.

In addition, independent of what camera you buy, I would buy a tripod. This can be useful in rooms that are not perfectly lit, even if the K-x handles such situation great.

Chris
10-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think for interior real estate shots, the extra 3mm and the versatility of the 12mm zoom area of the DA12-24 easily trumps the DA15.

A tripod would be great, although I've been getting acceptable results at 1/10 shutter speed at 12mm. You can also easily push the ISO to 6400 for interior shots since noise reduction works wonders on walls and furnitures.
10-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
Raylon

Kx will be perfectly fine for stuff like you are wanting. For that matter, most P&S cameras would work also. Something like an inbetween, like a Canon G12 would work perfectly fine also.Unless you are printing gigantic pictures, like biger than 8x11, you wouldn't even need an SLR.
10-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Really nice indoor realestate pictures need the following:

-A good rectilinear wide angle lens. As previously mentioned, the 12-24 is pretty nice.
-A decent low noise sensor if you are doing ambient light shots.
-good lighting and staging, which has nothing to do with the camera.

That's it.

Resolution wise, you are going to have trouble finding a camera that DOESN'T have more than enough resolution for the media you will be presenting the images in. Even expensive printed brochures aren't going to have a fine enough screen to give you troubles with using a 10 megapixel image to fill a whole 8.5x11 page. With reasonable care and skill, a 10 megapixel image can be used with good effect for billboard sized ads.

As for the web, you will be downsizing everything, which hides a lot of shortcomings.
10-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
P12

Original Poster
Thanks for the imput.

I want to get into the high end realestate market and wanted to make sure what I needed to have equipment wise.

I bought the Kx for this purpose then after doing some reading on a Canon forum started second guessing my choice.

I plan to pick up a DA12-24 lense. Just bought CS4 and Lightroom and I am in the process of learning that end of it. I will use the kit lense to produce images that I can use to learn the PP side of it.

If I can develope the PP skills needed then I will step into the DA12-24 lense produce some work and start marketing to local highend builders and sellers.

This is a good forum. I posted the same question on another forum and have yet to receive a response. Even though I do list that I own a Canon Powershot 630.

Edited to add the following: did get a response.

Last edited by P12; 10-23-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: update
10-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by P12 Quote
I bought the Kx for this purpose then after doing some reading on a Canon forum started second guessing my choice.
LOL Canon. Canon users are generally unhappy grumps. Pay no attention to them.

Here's one reason why they are unhappy - it shows that the K-x can deliver better image quality than the much more 'professional' and expensive Canon 7D:
10-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #15

I am very happy with my Kx and I think the image quality qualifies for professional use.