Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Special Pentax Moment

Below is a photograph of me holding my son, Adam, moments after he was born. But before you check that out, read this short story.

It was a very joyous day when I found out that I was going to be a dad. Millions of thoughts ran through my head – Will it be a boy? Maybe a girl? Should we start thinking about names for the baby? Where to put the crib? Etc... But there was one question, which became more apparent in the following weeks. I did not have a camera. Well, apart from an old Canon P&S, which was on its last leg. I've always wanted a DSLR, and worked with many at work and even borrowed some to try out (T1i, 1DsMkIII, 5DMkII, 40D, D90, D300). As for many others, I'm sure, the cost was a huge factor in the decision making process. At that point, I didn't think of Pentax. I knew they existed, just didn't know they had DSLR's. So I kept borrowing the various cameras thanks to the good heart of my co-workers/friends. I had the T1i for a few weeks, and my good friend generously lent me his Nikon D300 for a pregnancy photo session.

I loved the Nikon. Yet I knew it was way over budget. I had a kid on the way and needed to save up! The Canon left me completely unimpressed. I could never get used to its saturated, yet emotionless color rendition. Then as I was browsing dpreview, I saw the announcement of the Pentax K-x. I was intrigued. Then I found out about the White version. Now they had me really hooked. I did more research and joined PF. I kept reading and reading and found that Pentax as a brand, really "clicked" with me. So about 2 months before the due date, I bit the bullet and ordered a White K-x. Waiting for it felt like forever. No one had them in stock! I ended up ordering from Best Buy and hoping they get them in time. They did. I received it November 13th. Close call. Baby was due November 25th. So wasting no time, I began familiarizing myself with the camera.

This is picture number 7 taken with my K-x

I was blown away by the high iso performance! This is 1600 I kept telling myself. I've tried the T1i at 1600 and results were very discouraging. Another thing I instantly noticed on the K-x, was how perfectly it fit in my hands, allowing for very comfortable shooting. Then there was the battery performance (shot over 1200 pictures on the included Lithiums).

I was HAPPY.

Then the due date passed. Then a week passed. I was getting worried. So we went to our doctor on Thursday, and he scheduled us for a c-section on Saturday. Then it was mayhem, trying to prepare everything. I just made sure the camera was in the bag. At 6am we were in the hospital. I was anxious. Time flew by and before I knew it, I was sitting outside the OR with the K-x in my sweaty hands (WR would have been nice ).

Then they called me in. Flurry of emotions overwhelmed me when they pulled the baby out. I completely forgot about the pictures.

Thankfully, the Anesthesiologist grabbed my camera and asked me to turn it on. I threw it into Live View and she started blasting away. After a few minutes I was able to regain control of my shaky hands and grabbed the camera from her.

When the K-r came out, I was a bit jealous. It had all of the improvements that I wanted. This prompted me to take a step back and look at some of the photos I took with the K-x. Then I found a photo I have not seen in months. It was one of the many that the Anesthesiologist lady took of us. I cropped it and converted it to BW. This pushed me to share with you my Pentax story. I'm sure for many of you, your Pentax camera is more than just a piece of equipment.

Feel free to share your story...

Attached Images

10-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Nice story, well-written and well-illustrated. Thank you for sharing.

Your K-x is a nice camera and you should not have regrets because of the K-r. Invest in some good glasses (ie high quality lenses) and you will have a very nice dSLR system.
10-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Great story and the KX is a superb camera. I love mine.

Terry
10-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats to you and your wife on your baby.
Just a great narrative and thanks for sharing.

10-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments.

I now have these in addiction to the kit lens:
DAL 50-200, M50 1.7, Sigma 28mm 2.8, Sears 135mm 2.8, Soligor 400mm 6.3

I'm not really in a rush to upgrade. I feel like I have so much more to learn that a new "toy" will be more of a distraction than help.
10-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Wonderful experience that will only mean more to you in the future. I can promise you that many years from now these pics will be among the fews that you never consider could have been better with with any camera in the world. Thanks for relating WHY we sometimes need all this gear besides to measure pixels, noise and fps.
10-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great story congratulations all around!!!

10-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #8

Outstanding. As a father of two young ones myself, you hit the nail on the head. I have no story for my Pentax yet as it is not yet in my hands... but as another poster stated this is a great reminder of what a camera is really meant to capture.
10-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
congrats to you and to your wife.!
great story you have there man..

I'm very sure the Kx will still be there to capture moments as your son grows up
10-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Congrats and great story!
10-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
k54
Forum Member

Great story and congratulations to you and your wife for your new child and camera. You have 2 new babies now!

Good luck and God bless you! Thanks for sharing your experience fellow Kx user....
10-24-2010, 12:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Congrats there Voytech nice pics also one thing about the little ones they keep us young.
10-24-2010, 02:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Congratulations!! I'm pleased that your camera came through for you in such a timely fashion. That anesthesiologist knows her way round a viewfinder, too! How great that the camera could perform in the hands of someone who's never used on.