Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Silkypix Studio Pro andK-5 dng files...

Help please,

I'm sort of not surprised that SPSP won't process raw pef files from the k-5 because as I understand it they are camera specific. (Worked fine with K100d raw files but will take Silkypix a while to recognise K-5 I assume.)

I thought that DNG was not camera specific but SPSP won't process them from the K-5.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'm not a fan of the Silkypix Camera Utility that came bundled with the camera so don't really want to be forced to use it.

Interestingly, The DNG's open in Qimage Pro but have a novel mauve band down the left hand side.

Thanks in advance,

Allan

10-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by allantois Quote
Help please,

I'm sort of not surprised that SPSP won't process raw pef files from the k-5 because as I understand it they are camera specific. (Worked fine with K100d raw files but will take Silkypix a while to recognise K-5 I assume.)

I thought that DNG was not camera specific but SPSP won't process them from the K-5.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'm not a fan of the Silkypix Camera Utility that came bundled with the camera so don't really want to be forced to use it.

Interestingly, The DNG's open in Qimage Pro but have a novel mauve band down the left hand side.

Thanks in advance,

Allan
Allan,

Any post-production application will need to keep pace with newer camera models as they are released. I found that shortly after I got my K20D it was so new that Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) wouldn't show DNG files properly if they were taken under artificial light. An Adobe update to ACR solved it. I hated SilkyPix when I tried it with the K20D. I thought it had the most scatter-brained layout I have ever seen. That said, some people say it produces better results than ACR. I can't confirm that because I won't go near it, and I experience a spectral pain whenever I think about it.

So far (and this is only day two for me) my K5's DNGs have been read perfectly by ACR. I have not tried PEF.

Working in PEF should not be a show-stopper simply because it is a proprietary rather than open-source format. In the days when I used PEF, Adobe Camera Raw always handled them provided it had been updated to accommodate the camera that produced them.

I suppose that the short answer is, as far as I can tell without being a user, that SPSP and Qimage Pro need updating to work with the K5. My K20D problem under artificial light was blue noise that became worse as I increased the ISO. One update from Adobe sorted it out.
10-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, I have acr 5.2 in CS4 and it seems to process K-5 DNG fine.

Allan
10-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account

If you have the last pentax digital utilities, you CAN save in Pef
Better 10% and minus size to DNG.
Tips:
get your picture in your KR-K5 in Pef
Run Pentax Digital Utilites 4.30
Download your Pef
Now You Must Be found (sorry me i have one KX and not again one K5)
one option named "Convert To DNG", you apply and enjoy, you have so
the your raw in DNG for working at this day...

Ps I Say Get your picture in Pef, so because DNG to PEF is Impossible.

I'll try Dowload PEF KR/K5 in PEF in my version 4.21, but not convert/modify picture possible..

And it's not possible help you best/better beceause i HAVE NOT (and asked here...)
the version 4.30, one user must put one ZIP of his New version...in/on rapidshare, Megaupload, etc...
For check...but nobody make this sniff...
Best Regards Jpette

10-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

One good prg Free here...
yhe last version of Rawtherapee win 32 (if users want vers 328),
Warning, it's NO stable version, but the last last
Free - Envoyez vos documents
Check with succes with Dng...Pef Possible..not again check ?

If users want Stable Version ask me.
same for 64 Bits version, i put link here
10-24-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Silkypix Developer Studio 4 now supports K-5 (Ver.4.1.40.2); could you try to update it to the latest version?
10-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, I've downloaded the trial version. It supports DNG. Not PEF yet though.

Allan

10-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Sorry about that, few days ago I've read on dc.watch about Silkypix supporting the K-5 and I've never thought it would only work with DNGs.