Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #1

K200D D-Range Feature

Do any of you use the D-Range feature on your K200Ds? Or any other camera? I have had my camera for a couple of years now and was recently reading back over the dpreview on the K200D just for fun and came across the paragraph on the D-Range feature. According to dpreview, D-Range really helped preserve some details in the highlights of a contrasty photo. But the review wasn't clear about what exactly it is doing and also didnt mention anything about whether shooting RAW vs. jpeg had anything to do with it. I usually shoot RAW and convert in ACR......does it make sense for me to use the D-Range feature when i shoot in RAW? I am usually a stickler about keeping my ISO as low as possible, and D-Range forces me to use ISO 200 as a minimum. This is not ideal in noise regards, but if it extends my dynamic range enough to warrant it, I may consider using it more often. I work a lot, so often I only get to go out shooting in on lunch breaks or after work and this usually means I run in to a lot of high contrast scenarios. I hate clipped highlights so if I can avoid this effectivly while shooting RAW, I'm interested.

Please post any of your comments/advice on the D-Range feature. I did a search through the forum, but it turned up mostly convoluted discussion that didn't really answer my questions or shed much light.

Any help is much appreciated.

P.S......off subject....I'm a new member, so I guess this can me by introduction post. Very glad to be here. I've been a reader for a couple of months now and really enjoy it. I've learned a lot and this forum is the reason I decided to stick it out with Pentax even though all of my friends shoot Canikon and share lenses with each other. I decided to suck it up and take pride in the fact that I am in a rare group of photographers. To signify my decision to stay with the brand, I just ordered my first prime lens (SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4) and couldnt be happier about it.

Thanks for the help...I look forward to being more invloved in the forum.

10-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Mcc
Finished the ALCS an filling in time till the WS? First answer is simple... no effect on a RAW file at all. Think of it an adjustment to response curve used to develop that raw file into a jpeg in the camera itself... probably as you are doing yourself in ACR. (ie pushing it up at the bottom)
10-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
First answer is simple... no effect on a RAW file at all. Think of it an adjustment to response curve used to develop that raw file into a jpeg in the camera itself... probably as you are doing yourself in ACR. (ie pushing it up at the bottom)
Thanks, Col.....exactly what I needed to know. I'll be avoiding the D-range from now on.

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Hi Mcc
Finished the ALCS an filling in time till the WS?
Haha.....yes I am.....but I'll be glued to the TV for every game of the World Series. Can't wait to see my Rangers dominate the Giants. I just wish i could make it to a game to take some pics......standing-room-only tickets are $450 though.....that'd be a nice lens or two so I'll pass

Thanks again.
10-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This wont affect RAW, only JPG. Its just a correction curve that compresses the dynamic range of your image into a fake sort of HDR.