Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I am another that keeps my ist D for its ttl flash ability. My K20 with p-ttl is not near as accurate nor consistent. The images from my ist D at 8x12 are not very different than the newer cameras.

10-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #17
Banned

I still have my *ist DS2 since it's the last Pentax DSLR with TTL flash support and I have the AF500FTZ with TR Power Pack II and AF400T with Quantum Instruments QB2 Battery Pack .
10-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I still use my *ist DS on a regular basis, even though I have a K-x and K20D.

Its my go anywhere body, these days mostly mated to a Tammy 24-135mm or the lightweight option of a beat-up Pentax FA 28-70mm f4. Both combos work excellent on bright streets!

With most going after K-7, then K-r and now K-5 these days, the *ist DS probably isn't even worth much so I am keeping mine, especially since it is the only body I have that can drive my DA* 16-50mm with a dead motor in it.
10-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It's interesting that there's so many of these six year old cameras still in play. In the film days six years was nothing (I've got a 1954 TLR that I use about twice a year) but in digital terms six years is supposed to be antique.

There's nothing going on right now in the *istD series user group but we might be able to share photos, techniques, etc if anyone's interested.

10-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I have K-7, but I'm still using my *istDS every now and then Rarely, but kind a like feeling it gives. If it still works, why not to use it? Atleast it still accepts my cosina 28/2.8, wich is cheap lens, but fun to play with. K-7 works also, but it's always wide open(that lens needs to be stopped down little...).
10-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
It's interesting that there's so many of these six year old cameras still in play. In the film days six years was nothing (I've got a 1954 TLR that I use about twice a year) but in digital terms six years is supposed to be antique.

There's nothing going on right now in the *istD series user group but we might be able to share photos, techniques, etc if anyone's interested.
the difference is, with a film camera, all that really mattered was that the camera held the film flat, and at the right place (relitive to focus indication) and the shutter worked as required. The improvements in the srnsor (such as it was) came incrementally and you got those improvements every time film improved.

As a result, you kept cameras much longer. Now, however, every new step in sensor technology and processor speed makes the old camera seem obsolite.

Although in reality 6 MP is more than enough for most.

As to when I last shot a frame with my *istD, I have to admit, it has been a really really long time, 2 whole days and that is considering I also used my K10D and my K7D also on the same day.

the only risk my *istD has, with respect to me stopping using it is if either a) i break it, or b) pentax actually listens to me (US) and puts TTL flash back into it's flagship body.
10-29-2010, 01:14 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've posted a preview of the book here. As far as I know, it's the first collaborative Pentax photo book assembled by PentaxForums people.
10-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Talking about obsolete. I love my K100D Super. I will be getting a K-5 in the near future, but will not get rid of my K100D. It's a great little camera and it does do help me get some great images as long as I do my part! Camera is still only part of the equation. :-) Not the sum of the equation.

10-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #24

I still have and use my DS. Not as much as the K20D, but I use it with uttermost joy. When I have saved up for the K5, the K20D will be for sale, but the DS will go with me in the coffin. The K20D is the more competent tool, the DS is a love affair!

(Please Pentax, give us TTL flash metering back!)

Kjell
10-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
the DS will go with me in the coffin
Now there's a loved camera!

You know, the recently-announced camera comparison tool really shows how the *istDS does stand up well in some respects. TTL flash, pentaprism viewfinder, identical meter sensitivity to the K-r, top LCD .. all in a package smaller and lighter than the K-r.

Pentax K-5, Pentax K-r & Pentax *ist DS - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

I wonder if an updated model would sell, today. The updates being:
+ 12MP sensor from the K-r
+ anti-dust
+ auto-focus lamp
+ rear interface of the K-r

While retaining:
+ TTL flash
+ top LCD
+ AA battery support

But then I suppose they'd blow it by also stuffing in
+ anti-shake
+ video
+ HDR mode and all of that fancy stuff

Eh, I'll hang on to what I have.
10-30-2010, 03:23 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another benefit of the *istDS that we didn't know we had: better bokeh and less light loss.

P.S. Is it true that the *istDS has mirror lock up? Can anyone tell me how it's done?
10-30-2010, 05:02 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Another benefit of the *istDS that we didn't know we had: better bokeh and less light loss.

P.S. Is it true that the *istDS has mirror lock up? Can anyone tell me how it's done?
AFAIK it's the same as the current Pentax models. Auto MLU via the timer shots.
10-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
AFAIK it's the same as the current Pentax models. Auto MLU via the timer shots.
Aha. The two-second timer is great for shake reduction!
10-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #29

Photos: Gallery
Count me in. Bought the DS 2005 I think. It has taken more tripod spills than I can count with my fingers but it just wouldn't die on me. Aside from the worn exterior cosmetics this one still works good as new.

Nols
10-31-2010, 02:54 AM   #30

I only have a DS, but will be buying a K5 once I can in Australia, come on CRK, I'm cashed up and ready to go!

I'll always keep the DS though, not worth any money to sell and it still takes great photos, just don't expect it to be fast or accurate