Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still using an *istDS?

Think the *istDS is an antique and outclassed by modern rivals? I wonder if the PentaxForums populace can spot the pics shot with an *istDS from those in the poll below. Note that there are two entrants, for a total of eight frames.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/11931...-new-post.html

(The poll is to chose a cover for a book shot by fifteen PF-goers.)

10-24-2010, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #2

I use a DS. IMHO it will be impossible to tell what camera (regardless of model or brand) is used to take any picture, especially when used with great glass and skills. What technology does is make it easier though.

It's more easier to spot a bad photo (or photographer) from a good one
10-24-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I still use my istD. This is even though I havea K10 and a K7

The D just does some things the others can't. Specifically TTL flash

I use it for about 10% of my shots
10-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Think the *istDS is an antique and outclassed by modern rivals? I wonder if the PentaxForums populace can spot the pics shot with an *istDS from those in the poll below. Note that there are two entrants, for a total of eight frames.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/11931...-new-post.html

(The poll is to chose a cover for a book shot by fifteen PF-goers.)
ha, nice one. Only two of my shots were made with the DS, and I'm not sure who else used it, so I think there would be either 6 or 10 shots made with a DS. I just got my K-x back and as I'm impressed with its handling, I'm afraid my DS might start collecting dust... except for maybe when I go out shooting in the dirt, or when I feel I might need two bodies.

But you're right, especially for web and small prints, most any dSLR does a similar job.

10-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by urje Quote
snip.....I just got my K-x back and as I'm impressed with its handling, I'm afraid my DS might start collecting dust...
there is no reason to.

As I posted above, I still use my *istD, although shots are down since I have K10D and K7D, I still use it wuite a lot with manual lenses, M42 lenses and flash.

it also is still really good at high ISO.

I may only shoot 1000-1500 shors a year now, compared to about 5000 on my K10D and 10,000 on my K7, but still, when needed it is a great performer.,
10-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not really using one, but it still works. Have been thinking about converting it for infrared.
10-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #7

I have a K7 as my main camera but still have a ist DS2. It's a wonderful camera... which reminds me - I have been meaning to offer it up in the Marketplace. On second thought, I think I will wait till my 16-50 2.8 arrives so I can sell it with its kit lens.

Anyway, I thought it took wonderful photographs but it lacked some of the features I had in my old PZ-1 non-digital body which my K7 has, hence the upgrade.
10-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
there is no reason to.
well... no reason? My K-x is faster in operation and sensitivity, it's stabilised, and works wirelessly with my only flash. Once I get a split focus screen in that one I can compare the difference in manual focus in practice, but at the moment I think the difference the pentaprism makes won't usually weigh up against the benefits of the k-x. But we'll see, and I totally understand it if in your case the DS has real benefits over the K10 and K7.

10-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Think the *istDS is an antique and outclassed by modern rivals?
On paper yes, but I can think of only a few practical things *istDS can't do compared to more modern bodies (starting with K10D and forward). I still have it and I will keep it. If I decide to get K-5 I'll sell K10D+BG2 and keep DS.
10-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I still have my *ist DS because of the TTL flash (I also have a Pentax TTL ringflash) and because it works wonderfully with manual focus glass. It's darn slow though; there are many instances where I have to wait until the camera is ready writing the RAWs to the card.

Shot tonight, with the 135mm f/3.5 Carl Zeiss Jena MC Sonnar

Ditto, but with the 20mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena MC Flektogon:
10-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My DS is set up with an M42 adapter and split prism VF for use with my Super Tak's. It's become a surrogate Spotmatic with the wonderful advantage of instant ISO control - no more bulk loading 10-shot cassettes.

I may "upgrade it" to surrogate K1000 status for the SMC-M's some day.

H2
10-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #12

still using it, coming often in my rucksack for hiking/mountaineering, biking.
I would miss it therefore I keep it running
10-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have to confess that I no plans to upgrade my *istDS, either. Though it would be nice to have something with a 10MP sensor to get images that can fill an 8"x10" page at 300DPI. My point was that despite all the talk of this model versus that, the *istDS still produces. My only wish is that it supported my M and K lenses without the use of the thumb button. That's a bit of a drag.

Anyway, kindly do vote in the poll and help us select a cover for the book.
10-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I still use my istD because I have to - I'm just learning the ropes & it's my only dslr at the moment. Is it slow? Not as slow as I am . But I'm having a blast with it and I love the dual control wheels. I can't see giving those up when I finally upgrade.
10-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
Forum Member

i'll keep using my istD until I save up enough for the K-5.