Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #31
Forum Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Af280T is very good. I used it paired with K10D and the results are very good. I set K10D dial to the sync mode, then I set the aperture I want and enter the ISO/ aperture calculation in the flash, the photos came out very well exposed. Nice thing abt this flash is it has its own sensor etc, so you do not really need to use PTTL. It can swivel also and is compact in size. I paid $40 in craigslist

10-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
fotaki - thanks for the link, have that open now and reading

newarts, thanks again. Seems there's a premium to pay for P-TTL, and as i'm fairly happy using my Camera in Manual mode, i should be ok with using any flash in manual mode too. Just got to get to grips with how manual / flash works

Good help here though, so shouldnt be a problem
My really inexperienced flash opinion... fin a cheap flash such as this:
Rokinon D20AF-P TTL AF Flash for Pentax K20D K200D K10D K100D DSLR Cam
or
Amazon.com: Rokinon D870AF-PK D870AF Digital TTL Flash for Pentax (Black): Camera & Photo
And if you want to get fancier add this:
Dot Line HD PTTL Off-Camera TTL Shoe Cord RS-0447 - B&H Photo
And shop for cheap flash brackets like this: (or search for a fancier tilt type patience will get you one cheap)
Vivitar PG-1 Flash Bracket with Hand Grip - eBay (item 130447838471 end time Oct-31-10 21:35:37 PDT)
I'd reseach the Rokinons a bit first. the ttl/p-ttl terminology is misleading at times
10-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
I read somewhere that it only has P-TTL when positioned straight forward, losing it when bounced. Is that true?
10-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tomzee93 Quote
I read somewhere that it only has P-TTL when positioned straight forward, losing it when bounced. Is that true?
Absolutely incorrect. All the "pre-flash" based systems (Canon's ETTL, Nikon's iTTL, and Pentax's PTTL) all work "perfectly" when bounced. They even work when mounted OFF the camera.

If you understand what actually is happening regarding the pre-flash and the camera's regular exposure meter, you'll understand why it works when bouncing.

10-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #35
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tomzee93 Quote
If you were referring to a thread earlier this year with a member asserting quite strongly that P-TTL was useless when bounced, then I'm not surprised you were misled. As stated above, it's wrong - P-TTL does just fine when bounced, but it's important to realise under what conditions it's to work. Having the knowledge of what reflective surfaces to bounce off, at what distance from the flash and subject, and at what flash head angle to set at, all contributes to optimising bounce flash results. But that goes with any type of flash.
10-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If you were referring to a thread earlier this year with a member asserting quite strongly that P-TTL was useless when bounced, then I'm not surprised you were misled.
I remember that thread fondly!