Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
P-TTL flash - is it necessary ?

As a first time flash buyer ( not bought anything yet ) I'm wondering what happens if you mount TTL flash on P-TTL body

I'm basically looking for swivel and bounce head for my K200D, and there's plenty of cheap flashes around, and one particular model i've seen is a Jessops 280AFP, but their blurb says only suitable for Pentax TTL bodies, not P-TTL bodies. They actually mention that its no good for the K200D, but i dont always believe websites, so this is the best best place to ask, IMO

thanks

10-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

TTL doesn't work on P-TTL bodies. at least I'm not aware of a body but suports both but definitely nothing from the last 4 years.
10-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Inactive Account

One of the members here has a site that I believe covers all flashes that will work on Pentax P-TTL bodies: The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison
10-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes, thats a good read

Another flash i was interested in was a Miranda 700CD, but at least 2 people on here have very different views on the V power.

One member said it was 8.2v, another said over 100v.

10-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old auto flashes (not P-TTL or TTL) like the Vivitar 285 work great for most applications and are very cheap.
10-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks great - not cheap though. ( HV )
10-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Look for old Vivitar 285 or 283's I got a lot of 6 flashes in "as-is" condition off ebay for $30. of those 4 worked perfectly. Also look on craigslist or kajiji often as they are there.
10-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #8

KEH has the Vivitar 285HV listed right now in bargain condition for $45.

10-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought old 283 / 285 had issues with voltage

And KEH is in the USA. No good for us brits. Those prices almost double by the time they reach the UK
10-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
I thought old 283 / 285 had issues with voltage

And KEH is in the USA. No good for us brits. Those prices almost double by the time they reach the UK
Were you aware of this UK local offer?
PENTAX AF360FGZ Auto Flash Unit at cheap prices | PC World

.R.
10-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thats a nice flash, but more than i want to spend. I'm going to buy a second hand unit.. i've seen an AF 280T for less than 50

Would that be a decent flash ?
10-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Old TTL flashes will work on PTTL-only bodies, but they will always fire at full power. You will have to adjust aperture manually and set your shutter speed to whatever the given flash is set/designed to sync at.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I second the comments about the old manual flashes being a good value.

In addition to the Vivitars, I would look as some sunpacs. I have a sunpac 433D that I picked up for $25 that works beautifully on my k200d. It has full manual control and tilt/swivel. A lot of the older flashes also have "auto functions" (set your camera iso and aperture correctly and it will give the correct exposure).

The downside of the older flashes are that they will not do high sync speeds, and they are more difficult to use off camera.

If you do decide to get an older manual flash, just use a voltmeter to make sure that the trigger voltage is safe before using it (tutorials of what to measure can be found online).
10-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I used a Nikon SB-26 in auto mode for a while. Found it at a very good Craigslist price. I've not tried the SB-28 but some think well of it.
10-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Thats a nice flash, but more than i want to spend. I'm going to buy a second hand unit.. i've seen an AF 280T for less than 50

Would that be a decent flash ?
Hi Squier,

The AF 280T is a TTL flash, and since the K200D does not have the required sensor in the camera body, this mode will not give you any exposure automation. It also has an Auto Thyristor mode though, so if you don't mind setting the ISO and aperture, then being limited to the indicated distance ranges, it's a very nicely made gun. Auto mode has the advantages of no preflash and the flash will work similarly on any camera with a hotshoe with no brand dedication.

It has the disadvantage of not communicating with the camera, so it won't meter through the lens, nor will it meter outside of its set ISO range without some extrapolation of the aperture/distance scale (which is easy enough, but requires some attention).

That being said, I think that 50 GBP is probably a bit pricey. I paid $23 USD (shipped) for mine about 4 years ago, but it was priced under the market at the time.

Scott