Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Custom HDR mode? K-7

I just did a backpack with a pal shooting a Canon or Nikon or something... Anyway, he's got a number of custom modes on his dial and one he has set to shoot 5 exposures 2 stops apart for HDR. Now I know on the K-7 we have a User mode on the dial that we can set up. Is it possible to set it up similarly to automatically switch to a muli-exposure setting like that?

Thanks,

Ken

10-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is it about the K-7 HDR feature that is not satisfying to you in this regard? It will combine three images of varying exposure durations for HDR. You just have to press a few more buttons compared to turning a dial.
Or the imitation HDR filter that you apply to a normal image in camera after it has been captured.
But I think you are right that you can also "save" HDR caprture in your User Mode so this way you set up the User in HDR and save it and then when you want to shot some you simply turn the dial.

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 10-24-2010 at 07:42 PM.
10-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't think it is possible to set K-7 user mode so it is a quick access to auto bracketing, but it is not very difficult to select in any mode. Just press drive-mode button and select exposure bracketing.

On Nikon cameras some buttons can be used for quick access to auto-bracketing, but it is not possible on K-7. K10D and K20D had a separate button for auto-bracketing, and on K-5 RAW/Fn-button can be used for quick access to auto-bracketing.
10-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter

HDR capture of the K-7 is found on page 200 of the manual. HDR digital filter application begins on page 242 and page 207 lists HDR as as well as extended bracketing and many others as a setting that can be saved in the User Program setting on the dial.
I think I will shoot some HDR today when the kids are napping. But don't tell my wife. She thinks I am dilligently straightening up my computer space and dusting.

10-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote
I just did a backpack with a pal shooting a Canon or Nikon or something... Anyway, he's got a number of custom modes on his dial and one he has set to shoot 5 exposures 2 stops apart for HDR. Now I know on the K-7 we have a User mode on the dial that we can set up. Is it possible to set it up similarly to automatically switch to a muli-exposure setting like that?

Thanks,

Ken
I just checked my K-7's USER mode, and YES, you can save your USER mode for Exposure Bracketing, save the number of Bracketing shots (3 or 5) , the Exposure bracket steps - 0.3 , 0.7, 1.0, 1.3, 1.7 or 2.0, and also the related Custom settings on Bracketing sequence, one-push bracketing etc.

It never occured to me until you asked the question.
This camera never ceases to amaze me.

The K-5 has several USER modes, which you can name - even better.
10-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
Sweet!!! Now I need to figure out how to do this! It a time saver.

My biggest issue with exposure bracketing the normal route is that I forget I have it on and begin taking shots over varying 2 stop exposures by accident.... I'm hoping the mode dial with make things simpler AND help me remember to switch out of it.

How'd you do it???

And yes, I CANNOT wait to get my hands on a K5....
10-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #7

Original Poster
Sorry Nowhere Matt, I should have said exposure bracketing.
10-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I think the cameras change out of most of the custom settings after you turn off the camera. You could just start your exposure bracket shooting then once you have been satisfied, turn off the camera and clear your thoughts.
I just find the locking dial of the K-7 to be more or a nuisance compared with the non locking dials. You can set the camera to remember some of the settings for each time you start up. Perhaps remembering that you were in exposure bracket could not be selected so that all your other camera settings are saved with the exception of exposure bracketing.

Edit: no I just checked. You would have to not select the drive mode in memory in order for exposure bracketing to be lost once you turn off the camera. So the User Mode might be your solution. That is provided you still remember to take it off User Mode once you are finished.

Still, unless you shoot in Green or even M see how you like turning that dial compared to pushing buttons on the four way. I'm just making arguments here.

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 10-25-2010 at 11:53 AM.
10-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I for one do like the hard to turn dial. Can not mess up the mode by accidental bump.
10-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #10
Forum Member

just set the settings (all the settings in the camera and menus) the way you like for exposure bracketing and then go to the part in the menu for "save user mode" and then you are all set. Every time you go back to user mode these settings will return...
10-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
What is it about the K-7 HDR feature that is not satisfying to you in this regard? It will combine three images of varying exposure durations for HDR. You just have to press a few more buttons compared to turning a dial.
Or the imitation HDR filter that you apply to a normal image in camera after it has been captured.
But I think you are right that you can also "save" HDR caprture in your User Mode so this way you set up the User in HDR and save it and then when you want to shot some you simply turn the dial
Incamera HDR is on par with in camera B&W. Sorta ok in a pinch, but not nearly as nice as post process.... Night and day IMHO...
10-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #12
Site Supporter

This morning I experience something you may find interesting. Exposure bracketing also works with the (in camera) digital filters. Since the Drive Mode remains unchanged when shooting with Digital Filter you can bracket your effects to varying exposure times.
This does become tricky when handheld as the exposure is made, then the filter is applied and then the next exposure us made, filter applied and so on. It can sometimes take about ten seconds for the filters to be applied to the image so you will need to hold your camera steady on your target for some time. Yeah, you get a few blurry shots but you've just bracketed a few shots in Toy Camera filter, for instance.
10-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benisona Quote
Incamera HDR is on par with in camera B&W. Sorta ok in a pinch, but not nearly as nice as post process.... Night and day IMHO...
Agreed. Perhaps it is me but I have not been impressed with the HDR Mode images from the K-7. But I have yet to be interested enough to get software that will process for HDR so...

Just as examples, one is in camera HDR and one is normal with HDR in camera Digital Filter applied:

And again:

Yes I need better techniques. Merely a demonstration since the original thread title is a bit confused.