Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Has anyone tried this?

This looks interesting. I was looking for something to protect my LCD screen on my K7, and ran across this. Looks like it may be useful to compose shots also. They sell it in black as well.
LCD Protector and Angle Viewfinder for Digital Cameras - VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS - FLIPBAC INNOVATIONS

10-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
first I've seen that. It does look like it could be useful. It will be interesting to see if anybody has tried it and what they think of it.
10-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1. I can see some use for close-up and macro in difficult places, like close to the ground.

But is it as sturdy/solid as the K-7 body ?!
10-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think it would make pretty decent LCD protection. No more nose prints. It could come in very handy for some shooting conditions.

10-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Definitely seems like it can be useful.
10-26-2010, 02:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It doesn't look like there is enough sticky stuff for it to stay on for long!
10-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
It doesn't look like there is enough sticky stuff for it to stay on for long!
If you look at the removal video on there site, it looks plenty sticky to me. I may try one. I really like the fact it protects the LCD from nose prints.

Last edited by Tony3d; 10-26-2010 at 08:40 AM.
10-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
Forum Member

I will dare to be different .

I think this gadget is overengineered. It will limit the usefulness of convenient browsing through pictures on LCD. I would install it only if I was absolutely sure I want to shoot in LiveView from a waist level only. It would just bother me during an eye-level LiveView shooting (for such an occasion I have an "LCD viewfinder x2.8" - the manual focusing has never been so much fun and accurate )

If you want protection, I would use a GGS glass shield. Very cheap product, but works really well (I use this myself on my K7). One tiny drawback is that it is a tiny bit too small and about 2mm of LCD is not protected. This is a non-issue as the whole (100%) of the usable LCD is protected.

If you want something for odd-angles shot, maybe try an angle finder (cheaper) or a Phottix Hero (rather expensive but possibly more convenient)?

12-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Howdy Quote
I will dare to be different .

I think this gadget is overengineered. It will limit the usefulness of convenient browsing through pictures on LCD. I would install it only if I was absolutely sure I want to shoot in LiveView from a waist level only. It would just bother me during an eye-level LiveView shooting (for such an occasion I have an "LCD viewfinder x2.8" - the manual focusing has never been so much fun and accurate )

If you want protection, I would use a GGS glass shield. Very cheap product, but works really well (I use this myself on my K7). One tiny drawback is that it is a tiny bit too small and about 2mm of LCD is not protected. This is a non-issue as the whole (100%) of the usable LCD is protected.

If you want something for odd-angles shot, maybe try an angle finder (cheaper) or a Phottix Hero (rather expensive but possibly more convenient)?
Figured I would pop this thread back up, since I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago.

To address the previous posts - it is plenty tacky - once it is on, it would take a lot of effort to remove. I have it attached to my K5 on top of a GGS screen cover, which is much more easily removed, so they work well in tandem.

I'm not sure how it would hamper 'eye-level' liveview use (which sounds weird to me!), since the mirror easily flips well out of the way.

It isn't the most sturdy piece of gear, but it is pretty solid - the mirror housing is held with a wire frame, and the plastic holder seems solid enough - it also has the right amount of give, and holds at any angle you open it to. It is also easily flipped out of the way if you want to look directly at the lcd (only downside is you'll also see your ugly mug in the mirror!).

Onto the practical use!

I am a big, big fan of adding anything to your camera that makes you change your viewing angle. It breaks your camera-to-face routine, and give you a new perspective, and sometimes interesting results that you aren't expecting.

It is also a great match to the K5. With liveview autofocus that is, for the first time, usable and fairly fast, using this mirror is a viable option. I can't remember how fast the K7 was after the firmware update, but I definitely know it would be a pointless addition to the Kx.

Bottom line, for a minimal investment I have enjoyed it so far, well worth the money. Only suggestion would be to attach it to a protective screen cover rather than the screen itself, as it is very sticky and would probably be hard to remove.
12-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #10

I have had one for some time now attached to my K-7.

I originally bought it to replace a film protector and to have possibility to difficult angle shoots.
To me, it has worked well. It protects the screen very well and I've used it to take low angle shoots when I didn't want to get my cloths dirty.

It gets on the way sometimes, but you can pull it out from the U-frame if needed without any problem and then push it back. What's the fuzz about removing it completely? Why would you?