Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #1

Film color tone imitation

I got a K20D and I always liked the color tone of film.

So, how do you guys adjust your settings to give an image similar to, let's say, negative films?

10-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
Inactive Account

i use lightroom presets from LifeInDigitalFilm

they have presets for all sorts of film. works great!
10-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chaplinlau Quote
I got a K20D and I always liked the color tone of film.

So, how do you guys adjust your settings to give an image similar to, let's say, negative films?
Buy a K-7/K-5/645D and it's all in the package as a preset.
10-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the input

I was looking for specific film tone like Fuji Reala or Kodak Ektachrome. I liked them very much lol

10-25-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Download Virtual Photographer. It's a plugin made to work with photoshop but lacking photoshop, I think it will work with some of the freebies as well (Gimp for instance).

Welcome to optikVerve Labs - Home of virtualPhotographer

All kinds of fun stuff to play with.

10-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Just use Nik Color EFX and create the look you want, Photoscape has a few presets but none you mentioned instead, Velvia, Provia, Agfa and cross processing.
10-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try this Digital Velvia - Adobe Photoshop Action if you're a Windows user with Photoshop.

10-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #8

Original Poster
Guys you have been very helpful

Just wonder, is there no way to create a custom curve on camera?
10-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I still miss Kodachrome 25, so I played around with my K20D until I got something close; at least something close to Kodachrome 64. In the FN, first set your mode to Landscape. Then, press the FN button again, then press OK. This will take you to settings you can adjust for Saturation, Hue, Contrast and Shapness. Play around with them until you get what you want.
How and when you shoot makes a difference. Everything, including color richness, is better at lower ISOs, so I shoot almost everything at 100 ISO. Just as with film and slides, the quality of light has a lot to do with color saturation and richness, so shoot early and late. Look for brilliant reds and brilliant blues as we did for Kodachrome and Fujichrome, respectively. These give saturated pictures more pop.
Never noticed it with film or slides, but lenses make a big difference with digital. My DFA 100mm macro (shot at 100mm) gives me a richness very similar to K-64, and my DA 15mm Limited shines with the rich brillance of K-25. Both these lenses preform as if they had a built-in polorizer, especially the 15mm (the best lens I've owned in four decades).
I don't like putting any extra glass in front of fine Pentax lenses, but a good polorizer will enhance colors and transitions similar to film. I found Hoya Pro1 and B&W CP filters degrade IQ slightly.
10-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Oh, I forgot. I've used PhotoShop since it came out. Every once in a while, I'll download and test a version of other PP softwares just to compare, but have stuck with PS--until a few months ago when I tried ACDSee. Now it is about all I use, and it seems to do such a good job, I reprocess old PSed images before sending them out for publication.
ACDSee seems to love Pentax paramaters, while I believe all the other PP software packages are designed primarily with Canon and Nikon in mind.
10-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
you can get lightroom presets for almost anything and probably almost any film you can think of on a number of websites, try googling for lightroom presets (if you use lightroom)
10-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Process the SD card in your favorite chemicals. Dont forget to dry it out properly before inserting back into your pc.
10-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chaplinlau Quote
Guys you have been very helpful

Just wonder, is there no way to create a custom curve on camera?
I'm sure there is a way, but its just too complicated to do manually.
Its some combination of settings for colour hue, saturation, white balance, brightness, contrast.
On the newer Pentax bodies its on one jpeg Picture mode.
Some PP software also have Pre-sets to emulate transparency film.