Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #1

K 5 - Sensor shake on startup

Hi all,
Can the owners of the K5 answer this question please?
I have today got my K-5 and was expecting the loud noise of sensor shake on startup, as is present on my K20. The camera, however, is extremely quiet on startup (I have, of course, enabled Satartup action). Is this normal or is my camera not right?
Cheers.

10-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't have a K5 yet but on the K7 the shake isn't nearly as violent sounding as on the K20/10 cameras. In fact, all there is, is a little high pitched squeal. You're probably fine (if you have it set to shake at start up).

10-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The K-7 was nearly silent and the K-5 is perfectly silent (unless you actually press your ear to the camera body). It's more effective, too.
10-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I too went from (added to) the K20 with the K5. Perfectly normal... completely different and more effective solution. K20D shakes the whole sensor with the SR mechanism. K5 ultra sonic vibration of the front low pass filter.

10-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
It's more effective, too.
How did you determine that?
10-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
How did you determine that?
Well, had a spot of dust on the sensor and one use of the dust removal feature got rid of it--something the dust removal on my K20D was never able to do.
10-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Well, had a spot of dust on the sensor and one use of the dust removal feature got rid of it--something the dust removal on my K20D was never able to do.
Please find that same speck and place it on the K20D sensor to make it a fair test.

I would trade the dust removal for a camera that was smarter than me. I have not posted a shot from the K-5 so this afternoon took a stroll along the river with the A50/1.4 and new cam shooting everything near and far I though I had similar shots of with the k20d. Upon reviewing the 100 shots on the LCD they all looked like crap because the K-5 was still set at 800mm from moon shots last night and that really screws up the SR for the 50mm. Camera needs to say "Hey STUPID!, you skipped over the FL screen on start-up". So, still nothing to post.
[above is totally off topic but I just had to tell the world how careless I can be]
10-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm a little confused now regarding the sensor dust removal. When I first got my K5 I couldn't hear it at all. Now when I turn the camera on there is a more noticable vibration that feels like the dust removal feature working. That fine, as I don't need it to be 100% silent. But the weird thing is that when I go to manually activate the sensor shake (just to hear the sound), I can't hear anything. Then I turned it off on startup and I still hear the same sound when I start the camera. So my question is, am I hearing the sensor dust removal shake or something else upon start up?

10-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It make a very quiet buzzing noise for a moment on start-up. Much the same as the K7.
Enjoy your camera, stop looking for problems, and go out and take some pictures.
10-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It make a very quiet buzzing noise for a moment on start-up. Much the same as the K7.
Enjoy your camera, stop looking for problems, and go out and take some pictures.
I'm in no way looking for problems... I'm in love with my K5

I only initially checked it to answer a question on the forum the other day. It just seemed weird that with dust removal on startup still seems to be active even when it is disabled in the menu. That's the only reason I asked.
10-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Yeah, mine buzzes on start up whether dust removal has been activated or not. I can't hear anything out of it when I do a manual dust removal.
10-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Yeah, mine buzzes on start up whether dust removal has been activated or not. I can't hear anything out of it when I do a manual dust removal.
Cool. Now back to playing around with my latest LBA acquisition, the DA*55
10-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Cool. Now back to playing around with my latest LBA acquisition, the DA*55
Sweet. I have an ongoing love affair with my 55.
It is a very nice lens.
10-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you all for you helpful answers.
Regards.