Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K2000 (KM) problems

I have 3 problems with my camera.
First off, when I take a picture, once the shutter closes the camera has started making a noise like.... well here listen for yourself to the sound in between each shutter release (this file should open with any media player)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13888870/recording14267.3gpp
This problem comes and goes, it almost sounds like the sensor shaking? It produces blurry pictures when this problem occurs. Tested with shake reduction on and off, tried using the dust removal feature, and i am not taking long exposures, happens at every shutter speed. I noticed it 2 weeks ago, but then it just went away. Worked great last week in yosemite valley (THANK GOD), and it worked fine 2 days ago, but now it has been doing this all day.

Also the flash will not open. I've seen this issue elsewhere and looks to be an electrical fault but if i attach a external flash to the camera, i should then be able to open the built in flash.

Finally, I've put 2 new sets of energizer "advanced lithium" batteries in it and after 10-20 shots the lcd shows the batteries at half strength, and then 10-20 shots later battery depleted. Switch off and on, and then its fine and will do the same thing all over again. I need to test this with a different brand of batteries but would be interested to hear if anyone has had this issue.

This camera has been great (except the lcd is garbage outdoors) the last year and a half but all of these problems have shown up within 2 weeks. Hasn't got wet or banged around.

10-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The third problem you mentioned is a bit alarming, as that sounds like some sort of circuit fault to me.

It is normal for the sensor to re-position after taking a photo, however. I remember having my K10 do that. It's important to note that if you're using SR, you have to wait for the little hand icon to light up in the viewfinder prior to shooting; otherwise, your photos may indeed end up being a bit blurry. I'm not sure why the sound would be occurring with SR off, however...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I don't know a lot about how the internals work, just the basics, but hearing you say that the senor re-positions after a photo makes me feel like that is the process happening when the issue occurs.

I do understand that I have to wait for the hand to show up with SR, I have over far over 15000 photo's with it and I've never had any issues with it like this before so it is a new development - and just to confirm the hand is showing up. It may be hard to hear on that recording but the sound is faint for one second and then makes the loud "shake" noise (but not as loud as the shutter) the second second.

Also to put thins into perspective, the flash stopped releasing first, then 30 hours later the battery issue started, and then a few days later the sensor shaking (assuming thats what it is) issue started.

EDIT: I have a new theory. I purchased 4 packs of lithium energizer batteries, but these problems have only occurred on these sets... I've never heard of a batch of bad batteries being sipped but maybe they are garbage. I'll have to try some standards soon as i can get my hands on some tomorrow.

UPDATE: tried fresh, sealed alkaline batteries with the same result - camera shows the battery at half strength and then shuts off saying battery deplete after a number of photo's.
Issue #1 in the OP disappeared while testing the batteries - which is bizarre but happened before.
Flash still wont pop up.

Theoretically i should be able to just shut my camera off every 20 photos or so and turn it back on and it will be fine. just annoying. Camera is out of warranty as well so thats annoying.

Last edited by millertime; 10-26-2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Update