Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think in this case, the camera body is making a big difference.

Looks like my new K10D has a close focusing issue with the 14mm f2.8 lens I have at wide apertures especially. I was going to write a general article about wide angle lenses and noticed how bad the photos looked from the 14mm. So I switched to the K-7 and there was a vast improvement.

Here is an example:

I took multiple sets with the K10D and wasn't able to auto-focus sharp at f2.8. The 10-17mm fisheye on the other hand seems sharp on the K10D, have not compared it with the K-7 though.

Edit: these were taken on a tripod with SR off...

10-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you're right. My pics taken with K-x clearly look sharper than those I took with the K200d. Although maybe in your case the K10d is front/backfocusing.
10-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting- but I think a difference this significant has got to be caused by user error somewhere along the way!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed, user error and FF/BF should be ruled out before making the assertion that camera bodies make a difference in focus accuracy under normal conditions.

10-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I said it was a focusing issue... eg. with the K10D body. I'm sure it is front/back focusing.
10-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, I took 10 frames in manual focus by slightly turning the focus ring.

K10D in manual focus (forgot to label the picture but it's of course f2.8):

As you can see a lot better. I'm not going to mess around with the camera until I figure out if it is happening over all lenses of just the 14mm f2.8. So far it looks like I could downgrade the firmware from 1.31 to get to focus adjusting ability (and lose tethering?), or take the bottom off and adjust the ff/bf screw. Otherwise I could send it in to Pentax, but I'm not too interested in paying shipping and finding out later if they mess something else up with the camera that's pretty nice besides this little issue.

Last edited by sjwaldron; 10-26-2010 at 12:44 PM.
10-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

FF/BF problems are actually common on the K10d... I had to change bodies to realize that my K10d pics might have been a lot better if the focusing was spot on... But i guess I wasn't pixel-peeping enough at the time to notice that...
10-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I used to have the same issue with my K10D too, especially with yellow light.

10-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The title of this thread is misleading. It's clear focusing issues are to blame and the K10D debug mode might be able to fix the problem. The thread gives the impression that a K-7 will produce better focusing accuracy than the K10D. It's appreciated that this wasn't the intention but it could be interpreted that way from the title. It's not the body that makes a difference but accurate focusing.
10-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The title of this thread is misleading.

It's not the body that makes a difference but accurate focusing.
Say what? The body is the thing that does auto-focus....

I had two camera bodies auto-focus with default settings and hardware configuration with a lens and it was a big difference. Sounds like you are nitpicking. At least it shows that Pentax has improved a lot in making sure their bodies can focus properly from the factory.

I wasn't the one who constructed and aligned the camera at the factory. This is completely standard from the factory with 1.31 firmware. Any user who doesn't know about hidden features or ways to fix focusing will say.... hey this body doesn't focus good with this and that.
10-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I had two camera bodies auto-focus with default settings and hardware configuration with a lens and it was a big difference. Sounds like you are nitpicking. At least it shows that Pentax has improved a lot in making sure their bodies can focus properly from the factory.
Yeah right... I wonder why I had to go through three K7-s to get one with more or less accurate AF... And that third one was a used copy that already visited Pentax for AF adjustment...

It reminds me a lot about my stage at company that made flight simulators... We had hydraulics shi#ting all over the place, especially when the clients were there, but senior engineer always had the same response "We can fix it later with software!!!"... Why bother adjusting AF to the micron at the factory if bodies have got AF-adjustment built in the software?
10-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Yeah right... I wonder why I had to go through three K7-s to get one with more or less accurate AF... And that third one was a used copy that already visited Pentax for AF adjustment...
Sorry to hear that. I guess I was just lucky with my K-7 and not so lucky with the K10D.