Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Dealers ????

I checked the Pentax website for dealers and I called 3 and non of them carry the K-x. I also stopped at Cardinal Camera, Best Buy, Sears, Wal Mart, the Camera shop but nobody has one. actually if did not see any Pentax DSLRs at all.

I live outside of Philadelphia, and I would like to look at, hold and actually see a K-x before I purchase it.

However, based on the reviews the K-x is a good performer at a good price. I will probably purchase it anyway but it would be nice to see one first.

I am a recreational photographer. take pics of family, cars, pets, sports and outdoors. I had a film Nikon SLR a few years ago and have had point and shoot digitals so now its time to go to a DSLR. I understand that the K-x is a good performing camera at a good price point. Seems like you can purchase a K-x body and two lenses for just under $700. while the body and one lens is around $700 for the Nikon D5000. if one had extra bucks to purchase equivalent lenses for the Nikon, is the Nikon worth the extra bucks ?

10-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I know it is hard to find any in-store Pentax DSLR. The only store I know they carry Pentax in Philadelphia is Ritz Camera which is closed down almost every stores.

Perhaps the only way is to order it on-line.
10-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Illinois has no dealers. I had the same issue looking for a lens to handle in person. Just order from a reputable company with a return policy. B&H and Adorama both have generous return periods.
10-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #4

Unfortunately I think this is a pretty common problem. I am in central Florida and there are no local retailers that carry Pentax. I would recommend buying online from a reputable site that allows returns, such as Amazon, Adorama, and B&H.

10-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Ah, and to answer your question on the Nikon D5000, I'd say no. Down the road you're going to dump a lot more money into lenses with the Nikon, as that body does not have internal autofocus, and, as such, you must by lenses with autofocus motors in them; hence making lenses more expensive.
10-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Here in my middlin' large city on the Canadian Prairies we have the following stores that all have good supplies of Pentax cameras and equipment:
  • A good sized local business that caters to both pro and advanced amateur photographers
  • A western Canadian dealer that has a number of photo stores across the prairies (3 provinces) and has 3 thriving stores in my city, alone..
  • A very large Eastern Canadian dealer that has two large camera stores in my city and a number of dealers across Canada.
  • A large Canadian drugstore chain that has many stores in Western Canada and has an excellent camera dept. There is one of these stores here....many more throughout western Canada.

Since November 2007, Have bought Pentax equipment at each of these companies.
Two lenses had to be brought in, all the rest of the equipment was bought from the store's existing stock.
  • K10D body
  • KM body
  • 12-24 mm lens
  • 16-45 mm lens
  • 18-55 mm lens
  • 50 mm Macro F 2.8
  • 50 mm normal F 1.4 lens
  • 10-17 mm Fish eye lens
  • 55-300 mm lens
  • 360 Flash
  • remote control
  • extra battery
  • battery grip

There's other stuff I've bought but the list is getting long. I travel in the USA....upper mid west and although I love my American neighbors, I'm puzzled by the lack of camera equipment available at US brick and mortar stores...that I have visited...and not just Pentax, but other makes too.

I know that there are fabulous camera stores in places like NYC....but am I missing something here? Is it just big cities in the USA, that have well stocked camera stores ?

I'm not an expert in US camera stores but am I right in my view...please correct me if I'm wrong. It won't be the first time.
10-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Ananta Androscoggin

When I try the "find a dealer" thing on the Pentax USA website, all that happens is I get a bit of map with my own location (by zip code) pointed out.