Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

*ist D Suddenly Dies ... Advice?

My girlfriend's *ist DS all of a sudden died. It was working fine over the weekend, but when she tried to turn it on yesterday, it was totally non-responsive. So she's kind of devastated.

Any advice on trying to diagnose this problem myself?

Before we tried powering it up again, I made sure we had fully charged batteries (Eneloops) and the camera was in a dry environment , same story. Absolutely nothing showing on the LCDs or in the viewfinder, no sounds etc ... I thought it might have something to do with the secondary battery (lithium CR2016 type), but now I gather it's only responsible for storing the date. So I doubt that if it ran out of charge, that would completely kill the camera.

Anyway, the camera is in very good mechanical and cosmetic shape, all the switches, buttons, etc seem to be moving fine.

Anyone have this happen before with this model? Just a sudden and total failure like this ... I've never really seen that happen out of the blue with another DSLR.

I also don't really have many options other than tinkering myself - the camera is long out of warranty + our local repair places are really exorbitant. They usually come back with estimates in the $200-$300 range even for small problems. And no guarantees they'll fix whatever's wrong.

10-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How many shutter actuation's on that body?.
10-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
How many shutter actuation's on that body?.
Not sure, I should be able to find out from the EXIF in a few hours ... (don't have a CF reader here myself).
10-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Banned

If she's like my wife she probably sabotaged it wanting a newer one;-) My wife pulled the hose from the washer then let it spill water on the floor, boom! new washer;-) I've learned to check these things...

10-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
If she's like my wife she probably sabotaged it wanting a newer one;-) My wife pulled the hose from the washer then let it spill water on the floor, boom! new washer;-) I've learned to check these things...
Nope, I don't think that's what happened here.
10-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your girlfriend's camera in an act of desperation committed suicide after discovering about the new K-r?
Probably one of the internal circuitry or transistors went kaput.
10-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
oh its broken... get a Kr / K5 now!!

10-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

The second battery shouldn't matter. Clean the battery contacts and try fresh one-time Energizer Lithium batteries (rechargeables eventually wear out). If no success then the camera is probably defect. Since you don't want to send it in, consider removing the top plate and check the on-off switch. A wire could've come lose, or the contact needs a clean with a contact spray. This video hints at how to disassemble (kick the scissors and start with the top plate):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/119619-dismantling-k100d.html
10-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The second battery shouldn't matter. Clean the battery contacts and try fresh one-time Energizer Lithium batteries (rechargeables eventually wear out). If no success then the camera is probably defect. Since you don't want to send it in, consider removing the top plate and check the on-off switch. A wire could've come lose, or the contact needs a clean with a contact spray. This video hints at how to disassemble (kick the scissors and start with the top plate):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/119619-dismantling-k100d.html
That's really useful advice! What do you recommend I clean the battery contacts with?
10-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Ole
Administrator

Q-tips and Isopropanol/rubbing alcohol.
10-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
From the info I found, the *ist D shutter was rated for somewhere between 60,000 and 100,000 actuations so this is a really premature failure.

Here's the screenshot from PhotoMe for shutter actuation info (last shot before the camera died). This reports 8471 actuations (though there are some higher numbers in the same table too)

~8000 SHOTS seems about right to me - the guy I bought it from didn't seem like he used it much at all. After we bought it in May, my girlfriend shot maybe 1,000 frames on it.

Last edited by Dubesor; 10-26-2010 at 10:49 PM.
10-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear this. Hope it shows some signs of life after a good inner clean, but if not it may need to be sent in as it'll be more complicated like an electrical/circuitry problem. All the best.
10-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What should I expect Pentax Canada to charge for something like this? Or perhaps there are users on this forum that repair these older Pentax models?
10-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
broken!

k-5
10-27-2010, 01:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is a nutty idea - try running it with the clock battery out. I know it is technically unrelated, but back in my Mac fixing days, almost dead clock batteries would cause alll kinds of grief. You were often better off with the battery removed.