Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Broken LCD screen Pentax KX:(

Hello All,

I am new to posting on this forum. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to change the LCD screen on a Pentax KX? Unfortunately mine fell and broke yesterday and the LCD cracked I called Pentax, rough estimate is $270 to fix (not worth it) but the part is only $60. It doesn't seem that hard, was wondering if anyone else has tried it or found someone who will fix it for less than pentax. Being I only paid $400 for the camera anything over $200 doesn't seem worth to pay. Any ideas or comments? Any help is welcome. Thanks

Rick

10-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the camera is not weather sealed, I can't imagine it being too difficult. Don't really know what that would have to do with it. As long as you don't disturb any of the mechanics, it's probably just a plug and play part. The biggest trick is usually finding all the screws and knowing the order in taking the camera apart. I've done it on point and shoots but never on a dSLR.

10-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
RpM
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply Jeff. How hard was it on the point and shoot? Just curious did you have a manual or instruction video or did you just try it? I watched a video on youtube for a PS and it looked like just changing a hard drive in a computer, nothing too difficult. Thanks for the post.
10-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Any chance that you could make a brief tutorial or some sort with a few pictures if you do decide to change it yourself?

10-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Even if you don't fix it yourself, some pix of it broken would be interesting.
10-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Since the camera is not weather sealed, I can't imagine it being too difficult. Don't really know what that would have to do with it. As long as you don't disturb any of the mechanics, it's probably just a plug and play part. The biggest trick is usually finding all the screws and knowing the order in taking the camera apart. I've done it on point and shoots but never on a dSLR.

agree
I done it one a netbook.
all you need to know is the order of removing screws
10-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RpM Quote
Thanks for the reply Jeff. How hard was it on the point and shoot? Just curious did you have a manual or instruction video or did you just try it? I watched a video on youtube for a PS and it looked like just changing a hard drive in a computer, nothing too difficult. Thanks for the post.
Most modular components in modern electronics (the LCD, ect) have friction fit plugs on the ends of a PC board type ribbon cable. So if you can get to it, it's a pretty easy swap. In the case of the digicams I've played with, these were units that friends asked me to look at and weren't going to be too concerned if I screwed them up further. My comment related more to getting the camera apart. There is always one hidden screw or some clip somewhere that makes it seem impossible to get the thing apart. Look for the less obvious places like inside the battery compartment .. Watch out for things like Springs and such too. Just don't take it apart any further than you need to in order to fix it.

Short of offering to do the repair (with camera and parts supplied), That's about the best I have for you..

10-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Service manuals for similar models can be found here.

And, there is a video floating around of a K100D being dismantled, which might give you ideas of the complexity.
10-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
RpM
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all for your replies. I found a place in Forest Hills NY reviews online looked pretty good. Name was Marty's. Quoted $50 to change it, just waiting for the part now. It seemed better than trying to take it apart myself. Only thing I was worried about was messing with the mechanicals of the camera. im not sure how to post a picture on this site, but I do have a shot if anyone wants to see it.
10-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RpM Quote
Thanks to all for your replies. I found a place in Forest Hills NY reviews online looked pretty good. Name was Marty's. Quoted $50 to change it, just waiting for the part now. It seemed better than trying to take it apart myself. Only thing I was worried about was messing with the mechanicals of the camera. im not sure how to post a picture on this site, but I do have a shot if anyone wants to see it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/119224-help-cam...ml#post1232484

Closed Thread