Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dusty sensor

I am getting dust spots on my photos (have for a while now) and it is doing my head in. They show up over a variety of lenses so i thought it was the sensor, but my sensor is visually clean and preforming the 'dust alert' function on my K-7 shows the sensor is clean. Any thoughts or things i can try would be appreciated. They are especially noticeable when i shoot a landscape as the sky really brings them out.

10-30-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sample pics tend to help, though not always.

BTW, small flecks of dust and other material, resutling in spots (rather than lines) on the image can be invisible to the eye and even the dust allert. You can try manual cleaning with blowers or consider professional cleaning.
10-30-2010, 02:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mibane Quote
I am getting dust spots on my photos (have for a while now) and it is doing my head in. They show up over a variety of lenses so i thought it was the sensor, but my sensor is visually clean and preforming the 'dust alert' function on my K-7 shows the sensor is clean. Any thoughts or things i can try would be appreciated. They are especially noticeable when i shoot a landscape as the sky really brings them out.
As a first aid you could try this (or something similar):

Amazon.com: Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large (Black): Camera & Photo

lens off, mirror raised - there should be a function in the menu for this, somewhere in the proximity of the dust alert. Compressed air cans are *not* a good idea as they could wreak havoc on the sensor with the drops of liquid they tend to emit.

It is strange that the dust alert doesn't find a problem, though ... maybe you should post a sample picture for the resident old fogeys to identify the problem (especially if the above suggestion doesn't work).
10-30-2010, 03:23 AM   #4
wjt
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a few different blowers and cleaning kits, i have tried blowing the crap out of the sensor while holding it inverted, i have tried wiping it with a micro fibre cloth. I am thinking about finding my old vacuum kit i had for cleaning computer cases and setting it in the body for a period of time. I had it professionally cleaned on march and since then i am super careful with changing lenses, blow/brush around the mount (usually) invert the camera and avoid doing it outside when its windy etc unless i absolutely have to. And i regularly blow out the inside and mirror etc.

Random landscape with some sky in it 3 main spots here (one bordering the right of the cloud)

This sunset shows the 3 prominent spots in the top right

This is the scary accidental long exposure i took yesterday that prompted this.

10-30-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm no expert, but I think the ones on the left of the last shot look like sensor dust, the the ones on the right side of the last shot don't look like sensor dust. Dead pixels maybe? My K7 has an option to map out dead pixels.
10-30-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
Inactive Account

dead pixels should be green as i know...
10-30-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rhaziel Quote
dead pixels should be green as i know...
Very possible your right. I just took a educated guess.

10-30-2010, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's dust. I see at least 6 specs in the last photo. I don't know about a dead or hot pixel, my only experience with one was that it was red. Pixel mapping took care of it so just in case, I would run that routine (usually in the setup menu).

Here is what I do..

10-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It's dust. I see at least 6 specs in the last photo. I don't know about a dead or hot pixel, my only experience with one was that it was red. Pixel mapping took care of it so just in case, I would run that routine (usually in the setup menu).

Here is what I do..

I was thinking pixels, as I always think of sensor dust coming out as big blotches, but the last picture, they are very small dark dots, but maybe it had something to do with the long exposure. Interesting none the less.
10-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I was thinking pixels, as I always think of sensor dust coming out as big blotches, but the last picture, they are very small dark dots, but maybe it had something to do with the long exposure. Interesting none the less.
It really depends on the subject and exposure but it can and does show up as well defined dots. Other times, as smudged spots, and still others, will look like some strange shadow. The sort of dust shown is most likely going to require a touch the sensor method to remove.

10-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I personally use this sensor brush: Amazon.com: D-SLR BrushTM - Sensor Cleaning Brush for 1.6x w/ChamberSwab®: Everything Else: Reviews, Prices & more

It has always managed to remove especially stubborn bits of dust that blowing and dust removal (sensor shake) on my K-x didn't do squat to. It might help with your situation. However, if these bits of dust are truly stuck to the sensor (due to moisture basically "gluing" it), you might need some more extreme measures.
10-30-2010, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

If you use a bulb blower,
check it for small insects first.They exit at great speed SPLAT !!!

Pete

10-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Now that is Fugly. Did you get it off?

10-31-2010, 03:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Now that is Fugly. Did you get it off?

only just...
took about 15 wet clean scrub cycles
Pete
11-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
Forum Member

I just went camping, and noticed some dust spots from my sensor as well. Any suggestions on where to get the camera cleaned if I'm not up for doing it myself? I live in Philadelphia, but am in NY quite often. I suppose mailing it in is an option, but I'd rather have a store to go to. Also, are there any tricks to getting the dust out of the image in PS or LR? Thanks!