Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

You can always get a Wein Safe-Sync if you're unsure about the trigger voltage. It can handle up to 400V.

- Jason

10-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The Wein goes between the flash and the hot shoe. For your corded arrangement I would put it on the shoe, plug the cord on to the wein, then your flash on the other end of the cord. The Optical triggers, are fired from the flash light of your built in flash and make no physical connection to the camera.

Ah, i didnt realise that gadget was called a wein. I only see one mount on the wein gadget though, so thats not going to work, as there's nowhere to run the extension cable off
10-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds to me like your meter likes to show lies when what you measure is outside the set range. The flash probably has a voltage >200V.

I would get another old flash, they're cheaper than protection gear (at least here in Sweden.)
10-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Ah, i didnt realise that gadget was called a wein. I only see one mount on the wein gadget though, so thats not going to work, as there's nowhere to run the extension cable off
You just mount it on the shoe.

Wein Safe Sync Hot Shoe to PC Sync Adapter Camera protection low voltage trigger

.. and then connect everything as you normally would. If you're handy with a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing, there are probably dozens of ways to modify a cord to do the same thing, for pennies on the dollar.

10-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wouldnt i just be better off finding a flash with safe voltage, like a 280t
10-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Sounds to me like your meter likes to show lies when what you measure is outside the set range. The flash probably has a voltage >200V.

I would get another old flash, they're cheaper than protection gear (at least here in Sweden.)
Yes i'm beginning to think i would rather go the simple route, and buy a flash that doent need all these saftey nets and triggers and other gadgets.
10-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Wouldnt i just be better off finding a flash with safe voltage, like a 280t
Yep..... And that flash has swivel and tilt (I'm not familiar with your Sunpak). You can even use it in auto mode probably with better results than a P-TTL unit. K200 is PTTL, Correct? If I remember correctly, the 280 was around 9 or 10 volts.

10-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I dont know the exact voltage Jeff, but its safe according to the botzilla list. It would certainly take the worry and extra gadgets out of the equation

10-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #24
Inactive Account

I dont know the exact voltage Jeff, but its safe according to the botzilla list. It would certainly take the worry and extra gadgets out of the equation
I sold one a few months ago in the marketplace. Before selling a flash I always check and one thing I can state for certain, it's safe. I even tried it out for a few shots on my K7 which is still working fine.

10-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well i'm now looking at flashes on Evilbay and cross checking them on the Botzilla list
10-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I've got a couple of Nissin 360TW auto thyristor flashes I use with my K100D (and a PTTL Sigma EF-500 on the camera) ,they're 10v, and have a useful switchable fill flash in addition to the normal tilt/swivel 36 guide no. flash. And they're cheap, so definitely recommended! I use them with 2 optical hot shoe triggers with a light tent basically surrounded by light. Being only 10v, I have used a Nissin on my K100D hot shoe as well, before I got the Sigma, and they worked well, letting the flash sort out the exposure.
10-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Note Steve, cheers. No Nissins on Evilbay by that model number at the moment, it seems
10-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #28
Pentaxian

What you have discovered is that cheap volt meters have an input resistance that changes with scale selected. Look on the meter and you should see the input resistance in ohms per volt of the scale selected. To really be sure of input voltage you should use a meter that has a constant input impedance of 20meg ohms or more

But with the measurements you have you should be able to plot the readings and project the maximum voltage
10-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not that clever. I'm going to side with safety and simply buy one thats already on the ' safe ' list