Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

In MF, how much you need off-center focus points??

Although it's arguable that old school MF split screens only have center split, the off-center focus points could still be handy in some situation, or in some lazy hands.

I have a bunch of MF glasses, can't use other focus points and only center with them mounted to my MZ-S and K100d. Segment metering is not available with MF lens as well, and again, nikon offers it.

It seems Nikon is offering the function in D300 above models. I assume it's not a technical issue, so it might be a patant issue? or pentax marketing is trying to sell their AF lens?

Hope this function will be available in future. the best chance is a firmware update as there is no hardware modification needed.

10-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much do you need it? Not at all. When the part you want is in focus, snap the pic.
11-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Something I read about here but haven't tried and don't remember the details of is to (safely) short a pin to make the camera think it's AF and thus enable multipoint metering/focusing. Perhaps someone who actually knows something about this can respond. In the meantime, I shoot centered and then crop.
11-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have that mod but no, it doesn't enable changing the focus point for catch in focus or focus confirmation. It does let you select different focus modes and focus points, but back on the main screen it still shows (and uses - will verify) center focus. You do get segmented metering, catch in focus, SR, P-TTL metering, etc.

It would be a valuable feature at close distances and shallow DoFs with the error that recomposing gives.

Last edited by Eruditass; 11-02-2010 at 09:46 AM.
11-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If I want to focus off-center, I usually move the split screen over what I want to be sharp, set the focus, and then re-compose. Rarely happens though- and it's not like you can't tell with your naked eye, since the VF is typically huge on film.
11-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

When Im using a MF lens Im usaly not in a hurry, so I use center focus point and recompose
11-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
When Im using a MF lens Im usaly not in a hurry, so I use center focus point and recompose
Agree .
11-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
rm2

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
In many situations, focusing and recomposing will yield unfocused subjects. The reason for this has been explained several times. Basically, when recomposing the focus plane moves behind the original target. How much behind depends on the angle of rotation and the depth of field. So, being able to confirm focus with one of the other focus points would be hugely useful.

11-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
In many situations, focusing and recomposing will yield unfocused subjects. The reason for this has been explained several times. Basically, when recomposing the focus plane moves behind the original target. How much behind depends on the angle of rotation and the depth of field. So, being able to confirm focus with one of the other focus points would be hugely useful.

+1 well said.. especially when the DOF is really shallow like all those FF fans.