Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K10D goes for $26

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

This eBay auction features a K10D body in excellent condition with extras such as remotes, eyecup, etc. which only drew 2 bids for $26.

I don't know how I or anyone else didn't see this 3-day auction, which seems to be in the correct category. I am on eBay everyday carefully searching to upgrade my cameras.

Could it be a blip in eBay's search engine?

10-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

Nope, it just ended early (nobody got the camera). The seller listed on Oct. 25th and then cancelled it on the same day.
10-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wouldn't it say ended by the seller then? It just says bidding has ended for that item, which I have always taken to mean the auction was completed, not ended early...of course eBay can change he wording to whatever they like too!
10-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Wouldn't it say ended by the seller then? It just says bidding has ended for that item, which I have always taken to mean the auction was completed, not ended early...of course eBay can change he wording to whatever they like too!
I was under the impression that you could only end an eBay auction if had had ZERO bids at that point. Otherwise I believe you could continue to update the description, but could not end the auction?

10-31-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TiminyCricket Quote
I was under the impression that you could only end an eBay auction if had had ZERO bids at that point. Otherwise I believe you could continue to update the description, but could not end the auction?
You can choose to end early and not sell if needs be. Or, If I was the guy, just not post it. I would rather have it as a paperweight.
10-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TiminyCricket Quote
You can end an auction anytime you want. Typically though, you would cancel all bids before doing so. As it stands, the seller is obligated by ebay's rules to sell the camera to the top bidder at that price. It probably won't happen that way but there IS a winner and the seller has left himself open to negative feedback doing it the way he did. The winner also, is not obligated to pay anymore for the camera and a reasonable shipping price (just in case the seller ended early to avoid higher commission fees by ebay).

Ebay restricts changes to auction listings in one of two circumstances. A description may not change (other than adding to it) if there are Bids, or if the auction has less than 12 hours (I think) remaining. You can End an auction however up to the last seconds.

10-31-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Congrats on surviving to 3500 posts!
So...now you are working on 3500 Reputation?

10-31-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A couple weeks ago I bid on a Summicron because of an absurdly low starting price. The next day, the seller emailed me asking me to retract my bid. He said that he'd taken it out for one last shooting session, was nearly hit by traffic, and he dropped the lens. He said he wanted it to be shop-checked before selling it. Whether true or not, I had no problem with retracting. I think he could have ended early without asking (that's happened to me before) by claiming that it was no longer in the same condition, and would then not be obligated to offer it to the high bidder. But I could be wrong. That happened once. Being wrong, I mean.
10-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
You can choose to end early and not sell if needs be. Or, If I was the guy, just not post it. I would rather have it as a paperweight.
Really? A paperweight? Mine still takes some great pictures and, even when I upgrade to the K-5, it'll remain as my backup camera.
10-31-2010, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Congrats on surviving to 3500 posts!
So...now you are working on 3500 Reputation?
Thanks. I have a lot of Reputation. Though appreciated, better than half of it is from people with no Rep giving power. Even Newbies should be able to give at least 1 point. Doubt I'll ever see 3500 though (it isn't something I can directly control ).

10-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You can end an auction anytime you want. Typically though, you would cancel all bids before doing so. As it stands, the seller is obligated by ebay's rules to sell the camera to the top bidder at that price. It probably won't happen that way but there IS a winner and the seller has left himself open to negative feedback doing it the way he did. The winner also, is not obligated to pay anymore for the camera and a reasonable shipping price (just in case the seller ended early to avoid higher commission fees by ebay).

Ebay restricts changes to auction listings in one of two circumstances. A description may not change (other than adding to it) if there are Bids, or if the auction has less than 12 hours (I think) remaining. You can End an auction however up to the last seconds.

That's not quite correct. You can end the auction at any time with no assumptions, EXCEPT within 24 hours of auctions end. I've listed a lot of local even tickets on ebay simultaneously as StubHub and Craigslist and cancelled before the 24 hour deadline due to it selling elseware. I always post this in my listings as a courtesy, and always provide a Buy-It-Now price, however.

You can also not end an auction within the last 24 hours if it has bids, unless you cancel them.

eBay changes all the time. I hate selling on there now, because no matter when you request funds from auctions end, the buyer has 7 days to pay before you are able to get refunded for listing fees. There is also no way to leave buyers negative feedback. It's positive or none. Ridiculous.
10-31-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
That's not quite correct. You can end the auction at any time with no assumptions, EXCEPT within 24 hours of auctions end. I've listed a lot of local even tickets on ebay simultaneously as StubHub and Craigslist and cancelled before the 24 hour deadline due to it selling elseware. I always post this in my listings as a courtesy, and always provide a Buy-It-Now price, however.

You can also not end an auction within the last 24 hours if it has bids, unless you cancel them.

eBay changes all the time. I hate selling on there now, because no matter when you request funds from auctions end, the buyer has 7 days to pay before you are able to get refunded for listing fees. There is also no way to leave buyers negative feedback. It's positive or none. Ridiculous.
Which is why it's a last resort for me in selling anymore. I never left negative feedback for a buyer but before that change in policy, buyers thought twice before leaving it and at least gave opportunity to resolve problems. Every single problem I've ever had as a seller (and they've been few and far between) has been due to transit problems. The ebay/paypal policy that the shipper is also responsible for transit problems further reduces my interest in using ebay.. I smell a HUGE class action law suit coming against that company for that particular policy. Some law firm is going to get hold of it at some point.

I've never ended a listing without canceling the bids first, if there were any. Typically my auctions won't get bids until the end because I just state the price it's going to take. Most of my auctions run 7 days and there is no bidding before the last 10 minutes. That is, unless it's a Really rare item.

10-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Obviously the seller ended it early.

The item is in the seller's possession. He decides what to do. A couple of years ago, I "won" a Kodak Retina IIIC (a very nice film camera) on eBay. He refused to sell it to me even though my bid exceeded the reserve. My winning bid was a little over $100. He sent me an email with the line "The camera was relisted for your convenience"
10-31-2010, 10:56 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Obviously the seller ended it early.

The item is in the seller's possession. He decides what to do. A couple of years ago, I "won" a Kodak Retina IIIC (a very nice film camera) on eBay. He refused to sell it to me even though my bid exceeded the reserve. My winning bid was a little over $100. He sent me an email with the line "The camera was relisted for your convenience"
That's probably because he discovered the price difference between a IIIC and a IIIc. A couple years ago, I rarely saw a IIIC go for less than $200. Don't know what they are selling for now though.

10-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the seller likely worked out a deal with the current winning bidder and will complete the transaction off-ebay. This happens all the time, a potential buyer will contact the seller, they work out a deal, seller ends auction with that ID as the winning bidder so eBay really can't say much, then the two parties finish the deal directly.