Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Fast shipping. Great communication! Everything looks good so far.
Member id bdpa00 Feedback Score Of72) Oct-30-10 15:57
Pentax K10D Body with Extras (Excellent Condition) - NR (#280580350141) US $26.00 View Item

Apparently someone did buy it, I would have jumped on that...

11-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
That's probably because he discovered the price difference between a IIIC and a IIIc. A couple years ago, I rarely saw a IIIC go for less than $200. Don't know what they are selling for now though.

NOW I am not upset. I hate to see people shortchange themselves because of their own lack of knowledge.

Anyway I later got a Retina II (knob wind) with a Rodenstock Heligon f2.0 lens. It is very small . I can slip that in my jean's pocket. The images it produces rivals my Canon ltm 1.8 and surpasses my Canon ltm 1.9! The cost was well less than $100. I cleaned it up removed the Zeiss warts. It is pretty nice now.

Interesting thing. That Retina II does not have a CAMEROSITY code!
11-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
NOW I am not upset. I hate to see people shortchange themselves because of their own lack of knowledge.

Anyway I later got a Retina II (knob wind) with a Rodenstock Heligon f2.0 lens. It is very small . I can slip that in my jean's pocket. The images it produces rivals my Canon ltm 1.8 and surpasses my Canon ltm 1.9! The cost was well less than $100. I cleaned it up removed the Zeiss warts. It is pretty nice now.

Interesting thing. That Retina II does not have a CAMEROSITY code!
I thought the CAMEROSITY code was for the lenses, and Kodak lenses to be more specific. Didn't know they used them on the cameras as well. Though usually, one would use the Lens serial number to date the camera. For instance:

1945 (ER)

or in the case of Just a lens (this one is from a war time Graflex Speed Graphic), 1944 (EE)

I'm not saying you're wrong in expecting to have found it, I'm just saying I didn't know that Kodak used the code for the cameras as well.

11-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Fast shipping. Great communication! Everything looks good so far.
Member id bdpa00 Feedback Score Of72) Oct-30-10 15:57
Pentax K10D Body with Extras (Excellent Condition) - NR (#280580350141) US $26.00 View Item

Apparently someone did buy it, I would have jumped on that...
Like I mentioned, the high bidder and the seller likely reached an agreement for the sale off-ebay so the seller ended the body letting the current high bidder win the listing and then will send the seller two (or one, depends on the deal the made) payments, one for the winning bid to make eBay happy and the other the balance for the price to which they agreed.

Or, it was a case of the BF/GF/Wife/Hubby getting pissed at the other and just ending the auction to get back at the other half. When I was a kid and we were living in West Hollywood we went to a "Divorce Sale" (like an estate sale) where the husband was out of town...well the wife was really PO'd at him so she was selling EVERYTHING of his for pennies on the dollar just to get back at him...I watched, to my 11yr old horror as she sold a 1971 Mercedes 280 convertible get sold for $300...yes that is five-hundred...those are 1972 dollars but even then the car was under a year old and cost around $7,000 new, it was MINT. Weird part was I was the first person into the sale and could have been the one to buy it but, hey I was just 11 though I had the cash from a recent sale of some comic books, I just did not realize the price was so low...sigh...but I know first hand it happens and it is a bit rarer these days but back then it was not uncommon.

So there could be a wide range of scenarios here....I doubt the buyer actually paid only $26 for the K10D body, but it could be.

Oh, to make things worse, isn't that the eyepiece for the 1.3x multiplier? Or did the eyepiece for the K10D stick out away from the body?

11-02-2010, 01:18 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Like I mentioned, the high bidder and the seller likely reached an agreement for the sale off-ebay so the seller ended the body letting the current high bidder win the listing and then will send the seller two (or one, depends on the deal the made) payments, one for the winning bid to make eBay happy and the other the balance for the price to which they agreed.

Or, it was a case of the BF/GF/Wife/Hubby getting pissed at the other and just ending the auction to get back at the other half. When I was a kid and we were living in West Hollywood we went to a "Divorce Sale" (like an estate sale) where the husband was out of town...well the wife was really PO'd at him so she was selling EVERYTHING of his for pennies on the dollar just to get back at him...I watched, to my 11yr old horror as she sold a 1971 Mercedes 280 convertible get sold for $300...yes that is five-hundred...those are 1972 dollars but even then the car was under a year old and cost around $7,000 new, it was MINT. Weird part was I was the first person into the sale and could have been the one to buy it but, hey I was just 11 though I had the cash from a recent sale of some comic books, I just did not realize the price was so low...sigh...but I know first hand it happens and it is a bit rarer these days but back then it was not uncommon.

So there could be a wide range of scenarios here....I doubt the buyer actually paid only $26 for the K10D body, but it could be.

Oh, to make things worse, isn't that the eyepiece for the 1.3x multiplier? Or did the eyepiece for the K10D stick out away from the body?
Yes, that is Pentax's O-ME53 eye piece which alone sells for more that $26..

Don't know what an 11 year old kid would have done with a Benz other than admire it for the next 5 years. If I were Hubby, I would have set fire to everything she owned.

11-02-2010, 02:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote
Really? A paperweight? Mine still takes some great pictures and, even when I upgrade to the K-5, it'll remain as my backup camera.
A paperweight yes, when it dies.
In case you are wondering, here is a series I shot with the K10D 31/10/2010
Walk, Park, Autum, Sunset, Beach, Cliché: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
11-02-2010, 02:31 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Yes, that is Pentax's O-ME53 eye piece which alone sells for more that $26..

Don't know what an 11 year old kid would have done with a Benz other than admire it for the next 5 years. If I were Hubby, I would have set fire to everything she owned.

Would have sold, it of course my mom was a head legal secretary for a law firm that often handled work for a certain Italian-American Fraternal Organization, it would have been sold before sunset, for cash...as for the couple in question, trust me the new cost of that car was pocket change. If you don't know, West Hollywood is the neighbor of Beverly Hills and this sale was in the "spendy-er" part of WH right near BH...and like I said, it was not uncommon and also, remember back in '71/'72 I don't believe CA was a community property state and women often got shafted in divorces if the hubby found a newer model with a higher rear-end. I would think it was obvious for her to be pissed enough to do that, I doubt he was without guilt.

BTW, her stuff, was NOT cheap...that was even funnier...I think she sold his set of golf clubs for like $5...hahahaha...it was priceless!! A true "War of the Roses" between a couple that could buy and sell the entire lives of the folks shopping that sale.

11-02-2010, 04:22 AM   #23
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Superceded cameras are obselete technologically, they don't also become obsolete photographically. Until the K-5, the K10D still had the best ISO 100 results you could get, plus the ability to get noise-free long exposure results. It was and will always be an excellent camera, just like the *ist D; calling it a paperweight is just having a position based solely on competitive technical performance rather than image results.
11-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Ash:

I know would be happy to own one ...I like the results people get from the sensor Pentax used for that body, it was CCD right? I woke up at about 1AM (it's 5AM now) and haven't been able to sleep since so I am a bit foggy...hahahaha...
11-02-2010, 06:38 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Back to the subject.

I've listed a number of lenses in the last few days, including a certain common Russian item. I got it cheap a couple years ago but the focus is sticky, so I just got a newer replacement and listed the old one with complete disclosure of its faults. I got an email from a buyer in Hong Kong desperate to have it. We agreed upon a price -- just over my total cost of the newer one! -- he made the highest bid (only 1/4 of our agreed price) and I ended the auction. He PayPal'd me the balance and everyone is happy. I'll ship it out today -- in the same package its replacement arrived in yesterday, from Moscow. Yes, that's a bit of irony...

Did a similar on another common Russian item last month. That buyer (domestic) said he greatly wanted it for his new camera. He also paid more than I think it would have been bid-up to. In both cases, I checked COMPLETED LISTINGS and set a price at the high end of the scales. The only dilemma is: Should I accept a very good offer now, or would a completed auction go higher? I'll go for a-bird-in-the-hand when it's available.
11-02-2010, 06:45 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Back to the subject.

I've listed a number of lenses in the last few days, including a certain common Russian item. I got it cheap a couple years ago but the focus is sticky, so I just got a newer replacement and listed the old one with complete disclosure of its faults. I got an email from a buyer in Hong Kong desperate to have it. We agreed upon a price -- just over my total cost of the newer one! -- he made the highest bid (only 1/4 of our agreed price) and I ended the auction. He PayPal'd me the balance and everyone is happy. I'll ship it out today -- in the same package its replacement arrived in yesterday, from Moscow. Yes, that's a bit of irony...

Did a similar on another common Russian item last month. That buyer (domestic) said he greatly wanted it for his new camera. He also paid more than I think it would have been bid-up to. In both cases, I checked COMPLETED LISTINGS and set a price at the high end of the scales. The only dilemma is: Should I accept a very good offer now, or would a completed auction go higher? I'll go for a-bird-in-the-hand when it's available.
So you sold it to him for $10? You've stated routinely that you usually get your lenses for less that $5.

11-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #27
Veteran Member

So you sold it to him for $10? You've stated routinely that you usually get your lenses for less that $5.
I get many lenses for under US$5, many more for under $10, and the occasional masterpiece for up to $50. In this case the original (2 years back) cost me $12 including shipping, and the current transactions were for ~$25. I'm not complaining.
11-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought the CAMEROSITY code was for the lenses, and Kodak lenses to be more specific. Didn't know they used them on the cameras as well. Though usually, one would use the Lens serial number to date the camera. For instance:

1945 (ER)

or in the case of Just a lens (this one is from a war time Graflex Speed Graphic), 1944 (EE)

I'm not saying you're wrong in expecting to have found it, I'm just saying I didn't know that Kodak used the code for the cameras as well.

I might be wrong, but I thought it applied to most Kodak equipment that has a serial number. I have not been able to find any verification of that in Kodak literature only educated guesses. That Medalist you have pictured has a fixed lens. The serial number applies to both the lens and body.
11-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I might be wrong, but I thought it applied to most Kodak equipment that has a serial number. I have not been able to find any verification of that in Kodak literature only educated guesses. That Medalist you have pictured has a fixed lens. The serial number applies to both the lens and body.
I'm aware of that, it was one of my personal cameras. Even though it's a fixed lens camera, it's also a Rangefinder so variable focus is/was available. Many people do not know that and destroy the mechanism by trying to cock the shutter without racking out the rangefinder first. I would still have the camera if it weren't a 620 or had been converted to 120. Before the days of again readily (somewhat) 620 film, respool my own. Pain in the ass even though I had a slick way of doing it.

11-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I get many lenses for under US$5, many more for under $10, and the occasional masterpiece for up to $50. In this case the original (2 years back) cost me $12 including shipping, and the current transactions were for ~$25. I'm not complaining.
It's amazing that even the cheapo Russian lenses have tripled in price. I remember seeing them for that all the time. I guess nice ones are still a bargain though. Wish I could say that I've paid $50 tops for any of my lenses