Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always get a chuckle at "Is ............... worth it? questions.
Everything, no matter what it is, camera, car, diamond, gold, whatever, is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. No more; no less.

Is the K5 worth $1599.99?
Yes. The proof is that some people have paid that much for them.

Is the K5 worth $1599.99?
No. The proof is that some people refuse to pay that much for them.

Last edited by Parallax; 11-01-2010 at 12:04 PM.
11-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm Quote
A point that came up in another thread which I'd like to expand on here.

I'll take prices in JPY from Map Camera in Tokyo as being a reference.

Used body only (ex.)

K-5 116,800 yen (yeah there was a used one listed already)
K-7 49,800 (from about 80,000 last spring)
K20D 32,800 (from about 50,000 last spring)
K10D 23,800 (from about 30,000 last spring)

As you can see the K-5 is more than twice as much as the K-7, and almost five times more than a K10D.

The K-5 is a good camera, but is it more than twice as good as a K-7? Is it five times as good as a K10D?

I'd like to see someone justify the K-5 in that context, as I sure am having trouble.

This is an easy process.

Simply make a rough guess about the number of shots that you can get with the K-5 that you cannot get with the K10D. Then multiply that number by the financial value of each shot. You now know the financial difference between bodies!

Cannot assign a monetary value to the photos? Then there's no point in comparing camera costs, either. You make your decision in other ways, as outlined by the fine people who preceded me here.
11-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I'm (usually) a tight ass too... I normally wait until the price drops significantly before buying a new body. But in this case I said to hell with it and bought what I wanted, even knowing that in 6 months it will be at about 25-30% less expensive.

Maybe I took a cue from my toddler with the "I want it now" stomping

Just can't resist - and why not, the K-5 ticks so many boxes that were left wanting from the K-7. And the K-x is not as well built or suited to those tough environments. So it's never a bad choice to go for the K-5.

I'm sure a lot of us fence-sitters are not far from contemplation to action when it comes to upgrading - and I do think the K-5 will last longer as a technologically-relevant tool than previous models.
11-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #19
rjm
Forum Member

Original Poster
Actually for what I do with it my K10D is fine. Not even contemplating upgrading, for a number of reasons.

What I was thinking about with my original post was the curious state of affairs with digital SLRs at the moment.

A few years ago a new model was so much of an improvement from the last one that if you could afford it, upgrading was a no-brainer. And if you couldn't, you waited for the price to come down rather than buying the old model. Even more recently, when technology slowed to the point where the model being replaced was still pretty good, the prices of the old model reflected that quite well, staying high.

I'm thinking specifically to the Nikon D200-D300 transition, one which I watched with interest as I was considering a D200 at the time. The month of the D300 release, a barely-used D300 might have been 160,000 yen, while the D200 was about 110,000 though falling fast as the market was flooding with people getting rid of the old camera. The D300 brought better battery life, high rez LCD, liveview, 100% viewfinder, virtual horizon, and CMOS high ISO performance to the table. If anyone had asked me, I'd have said yes, the 40% price premium being asked for the D300 at the time was "worth it"... even if I personally wasn't ready to make that jump.

In late 2010 things are different: cameras up to 3 generations back are still perfectly good picture takers, and the improvements in new models ever more incremental (even though early adopters tend to exaggerate them for their own benefit) .. yet even if the price of the new cameras has not increased, the price difference between generations is higher than ever.

If you were to ask me if the K-5 is "worth" a 250% price premium over the K-7, my objective answer would have to be in the negative. To put it another way, a new sensor with 15% pixel density increase and tweaked AF are not worth the price of the 50-135mm f/2.8 DA*.

Last edited by rjm; 11-01-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: minor changes
11-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Actually for what I do with it my K10D is fine. Not even contemplating upgrading, for a number of reasons.

What I was thinking about with my original post was the curious state of affairs with digital SLRs at the moment.

A few years ago a new model was so much of an improvement from the last one that if you could afford it, upgrading was a no-brainer. And if you couldn't, you waited for the price to come down rather than buying the old model. Even more recently, when technology slowed to the point where the model being replaced was still pretty good, the prices of the old model reflected that quite well, staying high.

I'm thinking specifically to the Nikon D200-D300 transition, one which I watched with interest as I was considering a D200 at the time. The month of the D300 release, a barely-used D300 might have been 160,000 yen, while the D200 was about 110,000 though falling fast as the market was flooding with people getting rid of the old camera. The D300 brought better battery life, high rez LCD, liveview, 100% viewfinder, virtual horizon, and CMOS high ISO performance to the table. If anyone had asked me, I'd have said yes, the 40% price premium being asked for the D300 at the time was "worth it"... even if I personally wasn't ready to make that jump.

In late 2010 things are different: cameras up to 3 generations back are still perfectly good picture takers, and the improvements in new models ever more incremental (even though early adopters tend to exaggerate them for their own benefit) .. yet even if the price of the new cameras has not increased, the price difference between generations is higher than ever.

If you were to ask me if the K-5 is "worth" a 250% price premium over the K-7, my objective answer would have to be in the negative. To put it another way, a new sensor with 15% pixel density increase and tweaked AF are not worth the price of the 50-135mm f/2.8 DA*.
Well, the K5 does bring a little more than that to the table.
I would ask, are you comparing new price to new price with your 250% number?
If you aren't, you aren't really making a valid comparison.
The valid comparison is looking at new, and while the premium is still 50%. that is a far cry from your 250%.

Now, whether this price premium is worth it, you can justify it or not as you see fit, but lets compare apples to apples at least.
11-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure where 250 percent difference came from. On Amazon the K7 sells new for 900 dollars, the K5 sells new for 1600. The question is very personal: a) are there new features that you can't live without? b) can you afford it? and c)can you afford to wait if the answers to a and b are yes.
11-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Not sure where 250 percent difference came from. On Amazon the K7 sells new for 900 dollars, the K5 sells new for 1600. The question is very personal: a) are there new features that you can't live without? b) can you afford it? and c)can you afford to wait if the answers to a and b are yes.
I keep repeating myself, you forget K-7 started selling 1400-1500 dollars, so we can expect at least a 1100-1200$ tag after christmas for K-5. Thanks for bearing with me.
11-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

A point that came up in another thread which I'd like to expand on here.

I'll take prices in JPY from Map Camera in Tokyo as being a reference.

Used body only (ex.)

K-5 116,800 yen (yeah there was a used one listed already)
K-7 49,800 (from about 80,000 last spring)
K20D 32,800 (from about 50,000 last spring)
K10D 23,800 (from about 30,000 last spring)

As you can see the K-5 is more than twice as much as the K-7, and almost five times more than a K10D.

The K-5 is a good camera, but is it more than twice as good as a K-7? Is it five times as good as a K10D?

I'd like to see someone justify the K-5 in that context, as I sure am having trouble.
Do the same with a new car and one that is 4yrs old. The K10D came out late 2006. I'm sure you will find comparative pricing. It's not really about value as much as it is about market. I've owned both the K10D and the K20D. I got each at the end of it's "new" life; ie when the camera price had dropped significantly and was about to be discontinued for the newest released model.
I'm planning on getting the K-5 but most likely either as a Christmas present to myself if I can swing it financially or if I can't then when my tax refund check comes. It's worth it to me. And that is all I have to (or should) justify.
All I can say is YMMV.

NaCl(you are choosing the wrong context)H2O

11-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #24
Site Supporter

fwiw.... if i'm to pull the financial trigger and buy either the k-r, or k-5, i'd like the peace of mind knowing i can extend the warranty, at a reasonable price...... ala the k-7 for 19.99, still offered by b+h.... and at one juncture, actually free !!
pentax usa is not offering that inexpensive a warranty at this time.... i believe it's 99.99 for 2 years......if purchased within the 1st 90 days of ownership... still, all and all, not too bad a deal...... trying to shake more bucks from my money tree.... not a good crop right now.... dave m
11-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

So now that DxoMark shows the K-5 being up there with full frame cameras and better than other APS-C, this change anyone's opinion on pricing?
11-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
So now that DxoMark shows the K-5 being up there with full frame cameras and better than other APS-C, this change anyone's opinion on pricing?
Just saw K5 at the Dxo, DR is 14.1 for landscape, this far exceeds my and falconeye's expectations.

DxOMark - Compare sensors
11-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Yes, it's a fabulous score. Before that was published, many were comparing pricing of the K-5 to cameras like the Canon 7D and nikon D7000. In other words, all over the board. Of course everyone wants a good deal, but I think Pentax priced the K-5 rationally considering the output it achieves.
11-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

Just can't resist - and why not, the K-5 ticks so many boxes that were left wanting from the K-7. And the K-x is not as well built or suited to those tough environments. So it's never a bad choice to go for the K-5.

I'm sure a lot of us fence-sitters are not far from contemplation to action when it comes to upgrading - and I do think the K-5 will last longer as a technologically-relevant tool than previous models.
I agree. The K-5 is the first higher-end Pentax that has sucked me in since the K10d. I have bought others since then, but only at a screaming bargain. I feel that the K-5 is the first Pentax body since the K10d that could sell me at close to list price. It has the features, the build and the IQ all there.
11-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I just bought this morning the K-5 in Canada. Got a good price and will get a good value. Now Pentax is cheaper in Canada than USA. And it's not a miracle, our CDN$$ is almost at par vs USD andf USD is going dow vs the rest of the world. You need more $USD to buy imported than Euro, Yen or $CDN