Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2010, 02:30 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
WR for outdoor/action photography

Fullerton - Great video and enjoyed your blog. As a K7 (with 18-55 WR kit zoom)owner since January, mine has seen plenty of action being splashed by saltwater while fishing, rained on during hour long football games and being submerged while wading into a deep hole while crossing a river. I've destroyed four/five canon powershots before deciding on getting a sealed DSLR & lens and the K7 was cheaper and lighter than a Olympus E3 and cheapest HG lens and hasn't let me down. My fishing /author companions had no idea that someone made a WR DSLR for the same price as their C or N cameras that have to get packed safely away the moment any water threatens them! I really do not understand why Pentax doesnot go high profile on this aspect because there is whole new generation of extreme outdoor/adventure photography evolving now that the K7, K5 are absolutely perfect for.

11-03-2010, 02:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ps3737 Quote
Fullerton - Great video and enjoyed your blog. As a K7 (with 18-55 WR kit zoom)owner since January, mine has seen plenty of action being splashed by saltwater while fishing, rained on during hour long football games and being submerged while wading into a deep hole while crossing a river. I've destroyed four/five canon powershots before deciding on getting a sealed DSLR & lens and the K7 was cheaper and lighter than a Olympus E3 and cheapest HG lens and hasn't let me down. My fishing /author companions had no idea that someone made a WR DSLR for the same price as their C or N cameras that have to get packed safely away the moment any water threatens them! I really do not understand why Pentax doesnot go high profile on this aspect because there is whole new generation of extreme outdoor/adventure photography evolving now that the K7, K5 are absolutely perfect for.
That's what I'm saying!
11-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian

great video!
11-04-2010, 02:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
Or is the body cap no more than a dust cover?
Exactly, it's just a dust cover. Of course if someone is brave enough...

11-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great work, the K-7 is very good with a DA* lens in resisting nature.
11-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thats great... Were you shooting when you got hit by the wave? Love to see a few frames from that if you have em.

Mike
11-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Exactly, it's just a dust cover. Of course if someone is brave enough...
Correct. As far as I can tell, the lenses aren't very weatheqrsealed when just sot red with a lens cap. If you look closely at at a DA* or WR lens with a cap on it, the cap does actually overlap the rubber ring that is meant to seal the mount area. Although, I would say that the caps to seam to seal failry tightly. I bet they would be ok for some light splashing/drips. As for the body cap, I have little to no faith in those. I wish the Pentax body caps screwed on like other brands do. I think Pentax should package the sealed bodies with news body caps that screw on and have a gasket, so that the body is sealed even with just e cap on. And the sealed lenses should some with new caps that extend further out, as to allow the mount gasket to engage the cap. It would be a simple and cheap feature to add, that would be yet another nice design touch to add to the list.
11-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Thats great... Were you shooting when you got hit by the wave? Love to see a few frames from that if you have em.

Mike
Thanks, Mike. I think in the split second between hearing the wave and being hit by it, I had transition too far into self preservation mode to keep on shooting. I had just enough time to brace myself for impact. But I'll look through the images again, and see if there's anything.

Cheers,
Ben