Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Weathersealing Testament

Hey Folks!

I've been on a trip to NY for the past few days, doing some various photoshoots, and also attending the PDN PhotoPlus Expo. I spent the first two days on the shore shooting surfing, slackline and yoga. It ended up being a great chance to put the Pentax weathersealing to the test, and I even did so far more than I was intending to or wanted to. I was already shooting video of the shoot, and ended up with a short piece that has a good testament to the brand in it. Check out the video and let me know what you all think.

I also blogged about the trip, and ended up inadvertently going into a long treatise about the otherside of the life of a pro adventure photographer. The side that isn't all fun and games. It wasn't where I intended the post to go, but it's where it went, largely because I was sitting at my laptop, working on Halloween. I think it might be a good window, for those wondering about the other side of professional freelance photography. The blog also, obviously, has some of the best images from the trip so far on it.

http://fullertonimages.com/blog/professional-adventure-photography-is-lame

I would love to here people feedbacks and comments on the video, blog post or images. Cheers!

10-31-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I think HoyaTax ought to pay you for that as an ad.

11-01-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

I think HoyaTax ought to pay you for that as an ad.
Maybe not, "with my back to the ocean, not a good idea"... No company would advertise that...
11-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Maybe not, "with my back to the ocean, not a good idea"... No company would advertise that...
Yeah I guess you're right. Saw a bit on the news tonight about kids (natural selection teens) setting themselves on fire trying to imitate stunts they've seen on YouTube. Saw one genius set his face on fire trying to drink some sort of flaming cocktail, probably based on grain alcohol. (Personally, I say let the dumbasses burn and be done with it but someone always puts them out.). Then they showed another special case who put some mixture in a glass bottle. The mixture pressurized to the point where the bottle exploded in his face. His mother was upset that he was able to find something like that on the internet. No telling what some boob may try putting their camera and body in harms way as a result of a commercial advertisement. Then again Pentax would actually have to Advertise for anyone to actually see it.

I doubt the OP did it on purpose but it is a hell of a testament to the weather sealing of these cameras and lenses.

11-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I most certainly did not do it on purpose. Well, the washing of part was on purpose...

I had been watching how far in on the jetty the waves we coming in, and i went out to almost the end, because the tide was low and the waves were pretty mild and staying off the jetty. Well, i just started shooting and was pretty tunnell visioned. Apparently the tide was coming in, but still not enough to grab my attention. Waves were not even close to crashing at my feet. Then a huge wave came in, and a second before it happened, i heard the roaring of a huge wave roaring behind me, and knew exactly what was about to happen. I was just Ike, 'Well, shit.', and got hit by the wave, which knocked me over, and soaked everything on me.

Over the past two years that I've been using Pentax for adventure sports photography, I've come to put ALOT of faith the build quality and weathersealing. I've put these gears thropugh some pretty harsh conditions, and they take everything in stride. Unfortunately, there's the whole negative feedback loop, like with an addiction, where every time to don't pay the price for something bad, you' get more coly and push the limit a little further the next time. I'm getting pretty cocky about what these can really handle, and i suspect that can only eventually end badly. But, i guess w'll find out where the limit is...
11-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow...be careful on the jetties. Wet gear is the least of your problems...getting pulled into the rocks is a lot more painful. Get a pair of korkers for the slippery rocks...they work great for fishing...
11-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
Forum Member

I have had a similar experience it is way to easy to get into taking photos and not see the wave coming in. Two years ago I lost a camera to the ocean in a very similar experience. One minute I'm taking a photo, the next I am covered in water and my camera is sitting in a tide pool two feet under water. Fished it out but it never operated correctly again. That experience is the primary reason I got the K7.

My K7 thankfully has not gone for a swim yet, so I can't say it would suvive after sitting underwater; but it has gotten very wet in the rain and heavy splashes while shooting waterfalls and I have covered it in mud in a Carolina swamp. I've cleaned it up each time and it keeps coming back for more. I am sold on the weather sealing of the Pentax!

11-02-2010, 01:35 AM   #8

so what if you don't have a WR lens to complement your k-7/k-5? How do you wash it down at the end of the day?
11-02-2010, 02:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
so what if you don't have a WR lens to complement your k-7/k-5? How do you wash it down at the end of the day?

Body cap
11-02-2010, 02:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Hey Folks!

I've been on a trip to NY for the past few days, doing some various photoshoots, and also attending the PDN PhotoPlus Expo. I spent the first two days on the shore shooting surfing, slackline and yoga. It ended up being a great chance to put the Pentax weathersealing to the test, and I even did so far more than I was intending to or wanted to. I was already shooting video of the shoot, and ended up with a short piece that has a good testament to the brand in it. Check out the video and let me know what you all think.

{snip}

I also blogged about the trip, and ended up inadvertently going into a long treatise about the otherside of the life of a pro adventure photographer. The side that isn't all fun and games. It wasn't where I intended the post to go, but it's where it went, largely because I was sitting at my laptop, working on Halloween. I think it might be a good window, for those wondering about the other side of professional freelance photography. The blog also, obviously, has some of the best images from the trip so far on it.

http://fullertonimages.com/blog/professional-adventure-photography-is-lame

I would love to here people feedbacks and comments on the video, blog post or images. Cheers!
LOVE the bachelor sink situation...becauuuuse, I have been known to just let em stack up then toss everything and buy new for $20...especially when company is coming over and there are other parts of the house needing cleaned.
11-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
I would say the answer is, if you don't have a WR lens, then you don't put yourself into situations where you're more than likely to get water on your equipment. I knew going into this situation, that my camera was going to almost definitely get hit by spray and splashes, and that was fine by me with the k-7/DA* combo that I already have city in. I just didn't think I was going to get plastered into the rock by giant wave. Play it safe when you dint have the option of rinsing it off.
11-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Wow...be careful on the jetties. Wet gear is the least of your problems...getting pulled into the rocks is a lot more painful. Get a pair of korkers for the slippery rocks...they work great for fishing...
It did hurt. Quite a bit.

But seriously, as soon as I heard that wave coming up behind me, my thought pro rss immediately went to, "how do get out the other aide of this situation without a broken leg?"
11-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
It did hurt. Quite a bit.

But seriously, as soon as I heard that wave coming up behind me, my thought pro rss immediately went to, "how do get out the other aide of this situation without a broken leg?"
Soon as you hear it coming, get as low to the "ground", in this case, rocks, as fast as you can and hold on. In similar situations, fishing for me, I have always worn knee pads and often elbow pads as well...it might look goofy but better to look goofy than fracture a kneecap. These days one of those lightweight bike helmets is probably worth it as well, I mean if the sea is on the high side. I grew up on the oceans fishing and can tell ya do whatever it takes to be safe first.

The shoes kenyee mentions are a great idea as well. Back when I was running around on rocks best we had was felt bottom shoe covers I used for fly fishing. Today the tech is a LOT better.
11-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cool video, thanks for showing. And great shots.
I like the read on the blog. Your style of writing is easy to fall into and follow
11-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Body cap
Seriously, i'd like to know this. Does the body cap make the body weather resistant? Or is the body cap no more than a dust cover?