Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
X-sync cable v. Hotshoe extension cable

When using flash offboard, is there a difference when using the x-sync / PC socket cable or hotshoe extension cable ? Or would you use both ?

Any advantages or disadvantages ?

11-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The PC/Sync port is a simple trigger and there is no communication between the camera and flash other that to tell the flash to fire.

With a hot shoe cord, you can do P-TTL (with a compatible flash) or simple triggering, depending on the cord you use.
11-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks - i dont have a P-TTL flash unit, just an old style type, so presumably, a non P-TTL hotshoe ext cable will do ?
11-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
Forum Member

If you are going to be shooting manual flash, you might want to look into the Cactus v4 radio triggers. So far they work great with my K10D

11-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Why a radio trigger ? Is there some advantage over simply pressing the shutter button to fire the flash ? Presumably the onboard flash has to be raised too
11-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Why a radio trigger ? Is there some advantage over simply pressing the shutter button to fire the flash ? Presumably the onboard flash has to be raised too
Radio triggers go in your hot shoe (or PC/Sync port depending on the model) and trigger the flash with a receiver. It means that you can go cordless. You can also trigger more than one flash at a time.

You don't use the onboard flash unless you are using flashes with optical sensors.
11-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah, thanks. I dont mind cables, as i'm not bothered by them.

Is an Auto Thyristor one of those old flash units with optical sensor ?
11-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Is an Auto Thyristor one of those old flash units with optical sensor ?
It is, but not in the way you are thinking. What you are looking for is an optical trigger or optical slave (the terminology varies).

An Auto Thyristor is used by the flash to determine when the flash has put out enough light based on how it is set.

11-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Doesnt sound too bad

I'm happy enough with firing the flash from the shutter button, so i'll not go for triggers if all they do is save buying one hotshoe cable
11-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks - i dont have a P-TTL flash unit, just an old style type, so presumably, a non P-TTL hotshoe ext cable will do ?
Depending on how old the flash is, this might be a nasty way to fry your camera. Quite a few of the older flashes have trigger voltages in excess of what the camera can handle. I don't think that this is a problem with the X-sync port (somebody please confirm this), but it can be a problem with the hotshoe.
11-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I checked the voltage at botzilla and its fine