Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #1

K200d mirror cycles on its own - no image taken

Hi folks... recently my K200d began to "go off" by itself! I was just holding it in my hand as usual and I heard the mirror cycle as if I had pressed the shutter. I thought I'd pressed it accidentally. But no... today I went out for a few shots and the camera fired by itself a half dozen times. One time I heard it go off twice when I was actually taking a shot.

The strange thing is that it's only the mirror cycling... there is never an image taken.

I'm terrified to send it to a repair centre... horror stories about "its cheaper to buy a new camera" haunt me.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has enjoyed this "automatic mirror" syndrome and/or anyone who has suggestions as to what might be going on. (The camera is not set on anything other than single shot, so it's not that - and I'm not a newbie to the camera - have had it for 2 years and it has about 11,000 shutter actuations on it).

Thank you.
Richard

11-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #2

You didn't happen to use RCR-v3s in it recently, did you?
11-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
I guess I'm more of a "newbie" than I thought. What the heck is an "RCR-v3s"?
If it's a battery - no. I use only Imedion 2400 mAh (hyped as the upgrade to Eneloops). They seem to work perfectly for me.
11-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #4

RCR-V3s are rechargeable 3v lithium batteries.

Popular in the k100d days and they were always overcharged by the chargers.

That's how I fried my k100d

it it's what happened to mine..... random mirror slap and aperture actuation as well as when you press ANY button on the cam, then it is not fixable.

I hear the new K-5s are pretty good

11-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
I've got the "random mirror slap" but not the "aperture actuation" you mentioned. I don't like the sounds of "not fixable" - my armpits are dampening already.
Now where did I put that warranty card?

Re the K5 - don't think so. I have no need of video. Perhaps a used K20d is in my future.
11-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by rae2 Quote
I've got the "random mirror slap" but not the "aperture actuation" you mentioned. I don't like the sounds of "not fixable" - my armpits are dampening already.
Now where did I put that warranty card?

Re the K5 - don't think so. I have no need of video. Perhaps a used K20d is in my future.
What a coincidence, I might be selling mine soon! It's barely used. let me know if that's the direction you'll head in, we can work something out
11-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
I'm going to see if loading the K200d with new lithiums makes the problem disappear. But send me a PM with all the gory details about your K20 - how long have you had it - original owner? - why "barely used" - shutter actuations - how many times dropped onto concrete from a height above 2 meters, etc. (Ha)... I just might get in the Christmas-y mood and spring for another camera. Believe me, price is a factor - I'm a pensioner on a steadily shrinking fixed income. Thank you.
11-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by rae2 Quote

K-5 is far more than just simple video....

Also are you accidentally pressing anything when this is happening or is it just doing it completely be itself? The K200 has the thingy where you keep pushing the On switch further and it will take a picture but not actually save the picture. Maybe that switch is malfunctioning.

11-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #9

Original Poster
Raylon thanks for your interest and suggestion. As I said... it goes "off by itself" when I'm holding it just by the hand grip and not touching any buttons at all. Further, it doesn't do it all the time. I can go a whole hour and it doesn't do it and then it will cycle the mirror 5 times in 5 minutes. It's got me beat. None of this seems to affect any of the operation of the camera or the images it produces. I just wish it wouldn't do it.

I'm aware that the K5 is "more than just simple video" but it costs one big pile of money and a good whack of that relates to the video capability which I don't want no matter how good it is.
11-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I've have my K200D do this to me twice, both times when my Energizer Ultimate Lithiums were getting low. After replacing the batteries with the same type the problem goes away. Now I'm trying to watch the battery indicator more closely.

I've also just up graded my firmware to version 1.01 and I'm hoping that includes a fix. I can't prove if it is or is not yet.
11-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #11

Yup, I've got this problem on occasion. I call it the Freak out, but it only happens when my batteries are very low.

I've also got the Double Slap, which is a false shot (sans shutter) immediately before the real shot. It happens anytime there isn't an aperture lever on the lens I'm using. M42 lenses or no lens at all triggers the double slap. Holding a finger to the aperture lever on the body stops the double slap, oddly enough.

Weird, I know. I just avoid M42 lenses for now.

I've had my K200d for 2.5 years, and I've got around 45,000 shutter actuations.

Has anyone else had these problems and/or solved them?
11-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I don't have a K200D but I have the same problem with my K100D which has about 12K actuations on it. It seems to happen when my Eneloops are almost flat.
11-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
I had the rapid-fire problem when I first got my K200D. It happened when the supplied Energizer lithiums got low and again a few times with some worn out Kodak rechargeables. It would keep going until I popped the batteries out.

I haven't had a hiccough since I switched to long life NiMH batteries, but then that's also about the time I added the D-BG3 so it could have been either or neither that fixed it. Either way, that's about 15K actuations since anything fishy's happened.