Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Weird mirror lens metering issue

Hi.

My wife has a cheap Kalimar 500mm mirror lens that she uses on her *ist-D. When using the lens, the metering works fine on her *ist-D, but when I use it with my K-100D, the metering is consistently underexposed by a couple of stops. All other lenses work fine on my K-100D.

Anybody got an explanation why this might be happening? Has anyone else here used a mirror lens successfully on a K-100D?

I was kind of surprised it would work properly on one body & not the other, since they're both basically the same camera.

Cheers,
Bob :-)

11-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some cameras seem to like having pin 7 of the mount shorted, this is the data pin, otherwise they meter funny. Is the lens painted or anodized at the mount point"
11-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
...since they're both basically the same camera.
They're not

The metering problem with manual lenses is well-known with Pentax K-xxD and K-xxxD bodies. *ist series did not have this problem. In fact, one way to fix the metering problem with K10D and K20D is to replace the stock focusing screen with one for the *ist series. The K-7 is better but still not perfect.

If your camera doesn't have user-replaceable focusing screen, you'll have to learn to adjust accordingly.
11-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I don't think there are any pins on the lens mount, since it's a T-mount lens with a Pentax adapter.

Not a big issue, tho... I can just use +2 stops exposure compensation when I use that lens.

Thanks,

11-03-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I don't think there are any pins on the lens mount, since it's a T-mount lens with a Pentax adapter.

Not a big issue, tho... I can just use +2 stops exposure compensation when I use that lens.

Thanks,
He meant the contacts on the body. Place a piece of tin foil between the lens and the contacts so that they are shorted. That should help.