Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Lulerfly Quote
Alright I think I decided on the K20D, Is 479 a good price for a used one? Reason I decided was because I will be using mostly Manual lenses so AF is not of a concern, 3fps is fine I would think, I like to shoot street and landscape, also the occasional animal like a bird or squirrel. I did notice the metering is not as good but would that pose much a problem? I have a D40X, how would this compare?

I do want a waterproof lens though...Is the kit lens any good? This one: PentaxWebstore DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR or should I go with something else(If there is around that price?)

Also the Katzeye focusing screen, Would this benefit me because of manual focus? Any drawbacks? Is OptiBrite worth the extra 50 bucks?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get a camera as quick as possible, I feel confined with my D40X...for a while now
You currently have a Nikon D40X? The K20D wouldn't be an enormous leap or that much of an upgrade. If you already have Nikon glass there are plenty of capable Nikon bodies out there. I'm a huge fan of Pentax and we'd love to have you, but what are you looking to gain that you don't have with your Nikon? The K10/20/7 bodies are a step up from the D40 types in terms of top LCD, additional control wheel, in body shake reduction, and weather sealing so I suppose those are big pluses.

11-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #17

Original Poster
Main reasons I want to go Pentax is:

Image Stabilization for Older lenses
More manual controls(buttons etc...)

Honestly I would not even know what to get with Nikon, I mean the D300 is nice but cost to much imo.
11-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #18

Original Poster
Anyone else feel its not worth the upgrade or any insight on this, I have been using my Nikon for a long while now, was looking at the D200 but K20D and K7 seemed more feature rich to me.
11-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #19

I won't say it's not worth the upgrade, I just thought you were entering the dSLR market. I chose the K10D over the Canon XTi and Nikon D40X back in the day for the very reasons you're considering switching now. If you don't have much Nikon glass, then maybe the switch won't be that big of a deal. I'm not trying to stop you by any means.

11-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #20

Original Poster
Well I do not have to much to be honest, I have a 70-300mm that I paid 150 for, its an older manual lens, a 50mm Prime lens that I grabbed for 50 on ebay, and the kit lens it came with. I just wanted a more professional camera and these two seemed comparative to the D200 or even maybe D300 if you ignore a couple features I do not care about such as fast AF or more then 3fps. I mean this is basically what it is unless I go full frame which costs way to much I thought.

Do I have it wrong...? I looked at dpreviews review and it compared the ISO quality of the K7, K20D, and D300 and some other canon and to be honest the ISO quality seemed better on the K20D then on the D300 and close in other aspects such as Dynamic range and color. I tried to do as much homework on this as I could, thats why I am here now, to see if I am wrong on any accounts or am about to make a bad move.
11-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will start by saying I have not read the others posts. I have the K10 and K7. I passed on the K20. I prefer the k10 for low iso work and the k7 for high iso

The k10 has terrible metering on manual aperture lenses K7 is much better but *istD is still the champ with manual lenses

Otherwise the k7 is better all around. Metering shutter noise and handling. K10 IMO seems to have less exposure latitude also

One thing I did notice the k7 in the limited flash work I have done with it seems a little erotic but I have not used it extensively
11-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikem Quote
You currently have a Nikon D40X? The K20D wouldn't be an enormous leap or that much of an upgrade.
I disagree strongly. I chose the K100D Super over the Nikon a few years ago, mostly due to shake reduction, dust control and in-body focus motor. They both used the same Sony sensor, so similar performance. I upgraded to a K20D, and it is a huge step up. High ISO performance is about 2/3 stop better, resolution is way way beyond a 6mp sensor, weather resistance, ergonomics, operating speed and operating controls are in totally different league.
11-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
One thing I did notice the k7 in the limited flash work I have done with it seems a little erotic but I have not used it extensively
Lowell, did you mean "erratic" ?

JP

11-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I disagree strongly. I chose the K100D Super over the Nikon a few years ago, mostly due to shake reduction, dust control and in-body focus motor. They both used the same Sony sensor, so similar performance. I upgraded to a K20D, and it is a huge step up. High ISO performance is about 2/3 stop better, resolution is way way beyond a 6mp sensor, weather resistance, ergonomics, operating speed and operating controls are in totally different league.
I think you missed my follow up post. And I believe the D40X is 10 MP.
11-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Lowell, did you mean "erratic" ?

JP
I sure hope so.

The K20D also has tethering and an intervalometer, if that helps.
11-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #26

Original Poster
Well I Just bought this: 70-210mm f3.5 Vivitar Series 1 Lens/Pentax Screw Mt M42 - eBay (item 360315502915 end time Nov-03-10 20:18:07 PDT)

I looked at the price and it averaged around 100 dollars(Seemed true on ebay for most bids also) on this sites database. I am pretty sure I want a pentax but even if not I will just resell this, think it was a good deal? I checked out his feedback seems solid and the lens looks well kept.

I am not so interested in tethering and an intervalometer, not sure what that last one is....but anyways now metering and shake reduction on older lenses, how does the K7 and K20D compare...I have been metering by eye and doing alright but it would be nice for it to meter on its own.

I pretty much ruled the K10D out by now.
11-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #27
Inactive Account

I just upgraded from the K10 to K20, but only because my well loved K10 died (at 27,000 shots - pissed me off as I think it should have lasted longer. $350 to repair with no guarantees that that would be the complete fix -they might find something else). I use the K20 for work (real estate) and it has made my shooting easier. Can use ISO800 all the time with results that are equivalent to ISO400 on the K10. I've only done a bit of shooting for me at what I prefer - landscapes in the Rockies - but so far the low ISO results are fine. I was surprised at the level of difference between the 10 and 20 - especially the larger sensor. Handled a K-5 today and it is small. Might work with the battery grip, but I know the OP doesn't have the budget for this so 'nuff said. I don't think the OP can go wrong with the K20.

One question - it was said here that the K20 has tethering. I can't find any reference to it in the manual. Perhaps this is a reference to Pentax Remote Assistant, which worked on the K10? If I'm wrong, I would like to know how tethering works on the K20.
11-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #28

Original Poster
Wow it died at 27,000 shots, I thought they were 100,000 at least. :ugh:

Hope I have better luck...Will a used Camera store like Adorama or B&H tell me the shutter usage on a used camera or do I have to go home and check it?
11-04-2010, 04:26 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Late to the discussion, but I think you will like the K20. Definitely for someone shooting older lenses, it would be a huge jump from the Nikon you are shooting (in particular because of sensor IS). I would think that any reputable camera store would tell you the number of shutter actuations on a camera they were selling (as will any of the sellers in the marketplace). Usually it isn't the shutter that dies anyway, it is the electronics inside...

To me, the biggest improvements between the K20 and K7 (aside from the ergonomics) are quieter shutter in K7, significantly better auto white balance in the K7, and video. If these things don't make a difference to you, than the K20 is definitely the way to go.

As for tethering with the K20, it is capable of using the Pentax Remote Assistant in the same way that the K10 did. No difference with regard to functionality.
11-04-2010, 05:26 AM   #30
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Lulerfly Quote

Hope I have better luck...Will a used Camera store like Adorama or B&H tell me the shutter usage on a used camera or do I have to go home and check it?
If we have the software, then yes, absolutely we will - we'll also email you pictures of a used unit if you drop me a note: HelenO@adorama.com