Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #1

Decision: Pentax K10D, K20D, or K7? Pros and cons?

Ok so I have been all over the net looking for which is better, I have heard that the K10D has better image quality then the K20D and K7 from ISO 100-800, How true is this and what about higher Iso's?

When it comes to the bodies, they all look very similar controls wise, is there one that has more tactile control(buttons etc..) then the other, are they all built as strong as one another?

I notice the K10D only goes upto 1600 but would I even wanna go above that one any of these based on there levels of noise?

Add any other pros and cons because I can't remember everything right now, and yes the K5 is way out of my price range.

11-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lulerfly Quote
Ok so I have been all over the net looking for which is better, I have heard that the K10D has better image quality then the K20D and K7 from ISO 100-800, How true is this and what about higher Iso's?

When it comes to the bodies, they all look very similar controls wise, is there one that has more tactile control(buttons etc..) then the other, are they all built as strong as one another?

I notice the K10D only goes upto 1600 but would I even wanna go above that one any of these based on there levels of noise?

Add any other pros and cons because I can't remember everything right now, and yes the K5 is way out of my price range.
I had a K10D and now a K20D. The K20D is an improvement over K10D.
I like the K20D better, although I was able to get nice pictures with the K10D.
I do not have a K-7, so no opinion. K10D and K20D are the same size while K-7 is smaller.

If you think a K20D is good enough, get it and invest your money in good lenses.

Budget also have something to do in your decision:
K10D goes for $300 - $450
K20D goes from $400 - $550
K-7 goes from $650 - $750+

This prices depends on condition of the camera, shutter count, etc.
This is MHO.
11-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Better for what purpose?
If you're after a body with the best low ISO 100-200 and long exposure results, it's the K10D. Any higher than ISO 400 and you'll find the K20D/K-7 easily outperforming the K10D in terms of image quality and noise control.

The body layout and ergonomics vary between the K20D and the K-7 - a matter of personal preference. I have the K20D and find it a more solid, firm grip compared with the K-7, which in itself isn't hard to grip or control (just different). The K-7 has a number of performance and feature improvements over the K20D that some users may find handy and others indifferent about them.

I'd suggest having a feel of the cameras in your hand and reviewing the camera reviw database for more info.
11-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
I found this, they seem comparable to me...

k10d vs k20d ISO 1600 - a set on Flickr

Long exposure is better on the K10? Thats interesting....

11-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #5

Ash good points!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Better for what purpose?
If you're after a body with the best low ISO 100-200 and long exposure results, it's the K10D. Any higher than ISO 400 and you'll find the K20D/K-7 easily outperforming the K10D in terms of image quality and noise control.

The body layout and ergonomics vary between the K20D and the K-7 - a matter of personal preference. I have the K20D and find it a more solid, firm grip compared with the K-7, which in itself isn't hard to grip or control (just different). The K-7 has a number of performance and feature improvements over the K20D that some users may find handy and others indifferent about them.

I'd suggest having a feel of the cameras in your hand and reviewing the camera reviw database for more info.
11-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #6

Original Poster
Kinda curious about if the K7 is worth a bunch over the K20D, dpreview actually listed the K20D in a review as having better high ISO performace(examples were given) and higher Dynamic Range over it...

Whats better about the K7?
11-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Faster shutter, lots of new features, and a more sturdy body. Also, since they use the same sensor, I'd be surprised if anyone said that the ISO performance were different.

Pentax K-7, Pentax K20D & Pentax K10D - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

K-7 has the focus assist lamp - k20D does not. Also, K-7 and K-5 (newer) shares the same grip and battery, therefore, easier to have prime-backup cameras (if you plan to have both) sharing same accessories.

11-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Faster shutter, lots of new features, and a more sturdy body. Also, since they use the same sensor, I'd be surprised if anyone said that the ISO performance were different.
I agree about the features, but they do not share the same sensor. The K20D is a two-channel sensor, the K-7 is a four-channel sensor, the extra channels necessary to accomodate video. DPR and DXOMark agree the K20D has a slight advantage at high ISO and in dynamic range.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-02-2010 at 06:15 PM.
11-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #10

Original Poster
Honestly I never went above 2000-3000 shutter on my older cameras so thats not so much a concern to me. Now feature wise, I took a look at that list and the only thing that really seemed to bother me was the 95 percent viewfinder on the K20D, how do you guys feel about this?
11-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I found this, they seem comparable to me...

k10d vs k20d ISO 1600 - a set on Flickr

Long exposure is better on the K10? Thats interesting....
These are very small photos, it's hard to see anything. But honestly, virtually no one thinks the K10D competes with the K20D at high ISO. Most people agree there's at least a one-stop advantage in favour of the K20D.

The K20's higher resolution was an important factor for me vs the K10D, because I like to be able to crop hard if I need to. The main reason I skipped the K10 is the large number of user complaints of back-focus/front-focus. The K20D is a very reliable body. I think the K-7 is the best of the three in a lot of ways (AF, flash consistency, fps, etc), but it's not a knock-out punch. Not everyone has the same priorities.
11-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #12

I'm a K10D user. It's been a fantastic camera for the past 2 1/2 years. However, I'm very much pining for a K-5 (or I'd take a K7 even) for a few reasons:

-I'm running into situations where ISO 1600 is not enough. I'm doing more event photography and 3200 or 6400 would be quite welcome, even with f/2.8 glass.
-Back/front focus adjustments. To tweak front/back focus on my K10D requires some very mild hacking (not hard at all once you find the right instructions ;p) but it is a global adjustment. I have lenses that need totally opposite corrections so I have to make changes as I swap lenses. Very inconvenient. I believe the K20D and beyond support individual lens adjustments.
-More megapixels! I like nature and landscape and I wish I could blow up some of my images a bit bigger. 10 MP is good and I'm very satisfied with 12x18, but I wouldn't mind having more.
-Faster continuous shooting. 3 FPS is barely adequate for drive shooting. I don't use it that often, but more speed would be nice.

The only thing that I don't like about the K7/K5 is the smaller size. I'm 6'5" and I've got pretty big hands. The K10D is ok w/o the grip but I prefer it with the grip. I think I'd HAVE to have the grip with either the K7/K5.
11-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #13

All very good points, I'm in the same boat and thinking of upgrading my k10D.
11-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #14

Original Poster
Alright I think I decided on the K20D, Is 479 a good price for a used one? Reason I decided was because I will be using mostly Manual lenses so AF is not of a concern, 3fps is fine I would think, I like to shoot street and landscape, also the occasional animal like a bird or squirrel. I did notice the metering is not as good but would that pose much a problem? I have a D40X, how would this compare?

I do want a waterproof lens though...Is the kit lens any good? This one: PentaxWebstore DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR or should I go with something else(If there is around that price?)

Also the Katzeye focusing screen, Would this benefit me because of manual focus? Any drawbacks? Is OptiBrite worth the extra 50 bucks?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get a camera as quick as possible, I feel confined with my D40X...for a while now
11-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Alright I think I decided on the K20D, Is 479 a good price for a used one? Reason I decided was because I will be using mostly Manual lenses so AF is not of a concern, 3fps is fine I would think, I like to shoot street and landscape, also the occasional animal like a bird or squirrel. I did notice the metering is not as good but would that pose much a problem? I have a D40X, how would this compare?

I do want a waterproof lens though...Is the kit lens any good? This one: PentaxWebstore DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR or should I go with something else(If there is around that price?)

Also the Katzeye focusing screen, Would this benefit me because of manual focus? Any drawbacks? Is OptiBrite worth the extra 50 bucks?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get a camera as quick as possible, I feel confined with my D40X...for a while now
The lens you list is (I think) the least expensive WR lens. It is exactly the same optical formula as the second version of the kit lens. It is known as having very good IQ for a kit lens. You can buy it from B&H for $150 with free shipping, and no tax if you live outside New York. Of course I am a big proponent of helping out the little guy, so if you can get it locally for a good price I would suggest doing so.