Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
finally met someone shooting a K10D in public

While shooting the Tour of Missouri professional bicycle race in St. Louis. He came up and introduced himself and immediately asked about my 77 lens. Attached it to his K10D and he fired away. He was excited. then Showed him the 31 mounted on the DS. He tried it on his camera. Said he was an engineer and all his buddies said buy C&N. Researching it decided Pentax was the choice for him. He had a nice Pentax FA 50 1.4 on his camera. Smart person. May have bad LBA now.
Shooting bicycles from 6-30 feet away going 30-40 mph is darn hard! Luckily they did 7 loops. The first 3 were useless for photos. Practice helped some. Finally got better on last 4 laps. You only have about 20 seconds a pass to shoot. Also hard to keep others out of the picture. It was fun though. Man they are fast.
thanks
barondla

09-18-2007, 06:35 AM   #2

That reminds me of the camera club I recently joined here in Connecticut. A couple of were chatting about lenses and I mentioned that I was going to order a 50mm f1.4 and someone turned to me and asked "what camera do you use" of course I answered the Pentax K10D. He laughed turned to the club president and said "see we're growing, now there are 3 of us". Turns out he and his wife both shoot with the K10 professionally.
09-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi barondla

When I first read your header entitled:

QuoteQuote:
finally met someone shooting a K10D in public
.....it reminded me of when Elvis Presley famously lost his temper and took vengeance on an errant pink Cadillac with one of his shotguns........then I realised what you actually meant !!!!!!
Now that really WOULD be sacrilege, unless the sensor had 'gone totally up the creek'........LOL

Best regards
Richard
09-20-2007, 08:09 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
That reminds me of the camera club I recently joined here in Connecticut. A couple of were chatting about lenses and I mentioned that I was going to order a 50mm f1.4 and someone turned to me and asked "what camera do you use" of course I answered the Pentax K10D. He laughed turned to the club president and said "see we're growing, now there are 3 of us". Turns out he and his wife both shoot with the K10 professionally.
A little off topic, but where in CT is your club? I'm on Long Island, but my gf lives in CT (New Haven area.) so I'm up there a quite a bit.

-back on topic, I will have my K10D next week, so I can be spotted too!

09-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The owner of the camera shop that got me into the Pentax has given me details of a local camera club as well ... so I might try and attend if i get evenings off work.

Might even try and get a few Sydney people organised for a meet-up.

Have had a car forum "photography section" meet-up before ... and had a great time (was the only one there with a Pentax though)
09-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've been shooting with Pentax DSLR's for close to three years now and have run into only one other during that time. Most of the time there is no one around me with a camera and when there is, they generally have a P&S or some type of Canon Rebel.
09-20-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every time I go into the camera shop they tell me they are selling lots of the K10D bodies and lots of the DA* lenses, but I never see anyone with them and this is not a big town. The truth is out there....somewhere.
09-20-2007, 09:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Funny, I am always on the look out and never run into anyone. UNtil a few weeks ago at a Yankees game in NY. I had to take his picture and he just laughed. Is this some one here? That would be funny.

09-20-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It shouldn't matter, but it does somehow.

I'm never afraid to take the uncharted path, but I was shooting Nikon and not satisfied with the ergonomics and frustrated at the price of the bodies I actually wanted to own.

Then, while I was in Kensington Market (a quite photogenic part of Toronto) I spotted a two-person team photographing with a pair of *ist D's. They caught my eye because they were very serious, and the cameras were very small. They were really well equipped with a bag full of glass and one of those hard-drive download devices.

Even though I grew up shooting my dad's Spotmatic F, I hadn't considered Pentax when I was looking to get my own SLR/DSLR. Seeing those *ist's got me to thinking... and so I went and tried out a DL and a K100D and fell in love.
09-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

People don't actually buy Pentax to use it. They buy Pentax so they can give it away at garage sales and on ebay, it would seem.

Personally, I bought my Pentax gear so I can attract woman, become friends with influential people and pretend to be a professional photographer in foreign countries.

So far since I've owned my K10D I've gotten married, met President Bush, and was offered a job in Spain to photograph bull's anus while looking for parasites. Not exactly what I had in mind...

I'd consider switching to Canon but I don't have a white cape to match the white lens bodies or the ego that goes along with Canon.

Then of course there's Sony, the manufacturer of self-destructing VCR's Camcorders and TV's. Oh yes, we all love Sony. I have 42"s of Sony greatness hanging on my wall. I attached it with duct tape only because I figured it's only gonna last about as long as that tape can hold it up anyway.

Nikon you say? Quite possibly the only true camera manufacturer among them, besides Pentax of course. Why? It's simple.. I'm unable to buy a Nikon coffee maker. And if you're making cameras and not making coffee makers, it's a good bet you've got your ear so close to the industry sounding board that when Sony ships 10 billion faulty sensors and all your cameras need to be recalled you can actually hear the President of Hoya fart from laughing so hard.
09-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Should have said that I know about 10 people with K10Ds and even more with D,DS,DS2,K100D, etc. This was the first time bumping into a person I didn't already know. Usually I spot people with cameras. This time was concentrating so hard on getting good bike shots didn't even see the guy. He saw me.
thanks
barondla
09-24-2007, 06:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It doesn't happen often but It seems I have seen a few K100D's around necks when I visit museums--this has happened in multiple cities I've visited. Pretty sure I saw some compact limited glass across a crowded Louvre gallery. Saw someone in Manhattan with what appeared to be a well-used *ist D a few months ago. Have yet to see a K10D (other than my own) in the wild.
09-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Initially it was only me with the K100 in the group of friends and although they have mostly P &S digitals, we talked about cameras a lot and they know I love photography, they started asking me what I have and I tell them I have the Pentax K100. They say they want to upgrade to dslr and want my opinion, well I tell them Pentax is not as popular as C* & N* but it gives the 2 a run for their money. It is not a popularity contest but most Pentax users I tell them do their homework and are into photography, to make the story short I began collecting writeups in the forum and bring some prints to show them.
Now there are 3 of us using the K100 ( 2 formerly C* users) , 3 K10 ( all 3 ex N* users) and 1 more K10 ( Pentax film user) just ordered from Digicombos this morning.

Cheers,

Rene R
09-26-2007, 11:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
It shouldn't matter, but it does somehow.

I'm never afraid to take the uncharted path, but I was shooting Nikon and not satisfied with the ergonomics and frustrated at the price of the bodies I actually wanted to own.

Then, while I was in Kensington Market (a quite photogenic part of Toronto) I spotted a two-person team photographing with a pair of *ist D's. They caught my eye because they were very serious, and the cameras were very small. They were really well equipped with a bag full of glass and one of those hard-drive download devices.

Even though I grew up shooting my dad's Spotmatic F, I hadn't considered Pentax when I was looking to get my own SLR/DSLR. Seeing those *ist's got me to thinking... and so I went and tried out a DL and a K100D and fell in love.
Cool signature photo.

I don't know, but I think this might be characteristic for a bunch of Pentax people :"I'm never afraid to take the uncharted path"
People like options, it is no fun for all to use C&N