Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What do you think of K10D grip?
Awesome 1762.96%
Good, but could be better 311.11%
Just Average   00%
I'll get it as soon as I buy the K10D 725.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2006, 11:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Just picked up a grip for K10D

These are a serious nice piece of kit. Placement of the rear wheel is not ideal but overall it is rather good.

Cheers.

Pete D

12-04-2006, 02:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Need another option have k10d but grip not available in my country yet :-(
12-04-2006, 05:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

cant get one yet, but as soon as one is available, i will get one....
tried it out at the expo..would be better for me due to my larger hands...it does get tiring after a few hours of holding the k10....grip should help...
12-04-2006, 05:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
cant get one yet, but as soon as one is available, i will get one....
tried it out at the expo..would be better for me due to my larger hands...it does get tiring after a few hours of holding the k10....grip should help...
Agree, I will get when when available...

To be honest the k100d was a better fit for my hand... But like the ist D I am sure the grip will fix that...

12-04-2006, 05:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Adorama has them. I just ordered from them yesterday.
No batteries though. Ordered a NP400 to tide me over.
12-04-2006, 05:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it, but don't love it

Adding the grip to the bottom makes the landscape (horizontal) grip SO much better - I guess my pinky finger needed somewhere to rest to make it fully comfortable. The portrait (vertical) grip isn't as comfortable as the landscape one since it is a thinner width, but it is still OK. My only real problems with it are the placement of the scroll wheels and buttons - trying to hit the +/- or AE-L buttons without looking is nearly impossible and the rear scroll wheel isn't in as nice a spot.

I'll give it time, but so far it is worth it just from the ergonomic benefit to the landscape grip.
12-04-2006, 05:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Sean,
The main reason I decided to get the grip is, I have found that to operate the front scroll wheel comfortably in horizontal position, I am holding the right side lower on the grip, leaving 2 fingers dangling in the air. I think the grip will add some security and stability to my grip.

Question for you, how much heavier is the camera with the grip + battery?
-Alan
12-04-2006, 07:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't have an extra battery yet, but even if it is a psychological trick it seems a lot heavier with the grip.

And I agree - the horizontal position is better with the vertical grip on it.

12-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I have one on order at my local shop. Not in yet, getting antsy.
12-04-2006, 06:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

got my grip today..love the feel now....just feels so much better in my hands..albeit a bit heavier, i do love the balance it now gives me (and my bigger than average hands)

love the way it looks too..

now I just need a spare battery to throw in there
12-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
got my grip today..love the feel now....just feels so much better in my hands..albeit a bit heavier, i do love the balance it now gives me (and my bigger than average hands)

love the way it looks too..

now I just need a spare battery to throw in there
I want one of these but they're not in stock in any of the major online stores

Where'd you get yours?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-04-2006, 07:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
I want one of these but they're not in stock in any of the major online stores

Where'd you get yours?

Adorama, they just got a shipment in ( as well as 5 k10 bodies, but 4 was shipped out, and only 1 went to the store...they only fulfilled 10 pre-orders thus far....)

check their site to see if they got anymore....if not..I can pick up one for you...(im paypal verified ) they are right near my office...I was going to pick up something else there today, but I asked if they had the grip, and they did..
the dude was suprised I even had the body....(too bad I didnt have it w/ me)
12-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi Mo,
I ordered my from Adorama yesterday. Just checked a minute ago. They still show in stock.

-Alan
12-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Got a grip last week from Samy's Camera in Los Angeles. They had two, but had a difficult time locating them in the back stock room. The box is 'generic' without any obvious indication of what is inside. Only a little white sticker on the bottom states that it is the D-BG2 Battery Grip. The box itself is the 'regular' Pentax gray box with red lettering saying 'Pentax' and in reverse type 'Accessory' on five sides.

If you see a box that measures 6.25" by 3.375" by 2.5", it just might be a grip.

Now that I have it, I wonder how often I'll use it. Probably just when I need the battery power for an extended shoot, such as a sporting event. Otherwise, might just leave it off.
12-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #15

Just picked up a grip for K10D

Adorama sent mine today. Fits nicely, and makes the camera really feel substantial, but it adds weight. Well made, I was surprised to see the tripod mount threads are now off-center, probably because there is a lot of things in that area, the tigthening knob and the input plug.

I will have to use a different camera bag, as the bag that came with the Tamron XR-DiII 18-200 lens is nice and compact. The 10D is not compact with the battery grip.

No extra batteries yet, will probably do N400 that is close to the same, although it is less mha at 1500 vs 1750 of Pentax.