Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #16
Site Supporter

There are probably hundreds of posts about the best AA rechargeable batteries to use with Pentax DSLR cameras, and the consensus is to use the Hybrid rechargeable batteries, such as:

Sanyo Eneloop
Uniross Hybrio
Rayovac Hybrid

AA Alkalines are for emergencies only. AA Lithiums work well, but are expensive -- they cost the same as a set of the hybrids. "Regular" AA rechargeables often don't work very well in the Pentax cameras -- it has something to do with the voltage drop under load. Stick with the Hybrids and you will be happy.

Best charger is one which can charge the cells individually -- I use a LaCross BC-900, but I don't know if you can get one in Sweden. Maha makes several good chargers as well. It's well worth paying $30-$40 to get a good charger.

I'm sure others will chime in. Do a search on AA Batteries and you will find lots of info.

11-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #17
Inactive Account

I guess it doesn't really matter now since you've bought the camera anyway, but my thoughts on the ist DL...

it's a great camera!
couple of issues:
AF is single point only, and is pretty basic in low light
iso 1600 is about the usable limit, 3200 is pretty ugly
camera is slooooow, formatting the card takes a minute or so- not really a problem unless you're in a hurry

but other than that it's fine, viewfinder could be bigger/brighter- but then so could the k7

some shots

all manual focus, first with a pentax 50mm 1.7, the others with a 2x teleconverter and the 50mm 1.7

get the 50mm 1.7
and a flash- it will help you overcome the low light failings of the DL

I just upgraded my dl to a 1dmk3, and guess what- it's not that much better...
11-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it is any how same as my *istDS. It'll work just fine. I still use mine, it is slow but if you are not in hurry, it's okay. I strongly recommend also those eneloop-batteries. Those will give to you A lot more capapility to work with cam. In DS the"green button" is in manual mode the AE-l button. You can chek it out from menu too.

Personally I changed to K-7 mainly because of SR/WR and speed(both, buffer and fps)/shutternoice. There is also all other things, wich makes my life easier, but DS is still in business. Also it's small size and ergonomics is perfect.
ps. it is hard to find those eneloops from finland too, but webstores, wich sells eletronical stuff usually has them. I think you can find similar shops in sweden too. Have fun with your DL.
11-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #19

Original Poster
Nice camera, but the AF is hell slow. But that's a digital feature, so for me it's just amazing when it sets the focus by itself :-)

About the batteries I bought a charger with batteries from GP and they lasted for a long time, even used the flash like 20 times. Also found that I could buy a 6-pack of AA Lithiums for 22usd, would do it if it gets colder.

About how many exposure it has taken, where can I see that? Someone said PhotoMe, where can I find that software? And it just to check an image file with that software then? The last photo I took is named something like 100-9233 which make me think there was 9233 exposures. No?

How many exposures more will it survive?

And I should go out and take more photos, but this grey dull winter is extremely boring for getting any motivation at all!

11-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sarajevo Quote
Thanks, the cable for my compact pentax seems to be the same one as for this so no worries there, and my Sd card is 2gb which seems enough

About batteries, I used a set with normal AA-alkaline batteries to test it out (both the one that the sellers had in it, and a new set), as I tested the automatic mode and the menus and such the most I guess it might have run out faster than it would had if I used it "normally". But still, 20 photos or such with 4 batteries? Not more? Alkalines are just for testing the cameras functions or such?

Sanyo eneloop batteries are not to be found in Sweden I think, I might be able to order them online though, and the charger I currently have just take two batteries, so I would have to buy a new one? Cause it wouldnt work to just buy rechargable batteries and recharge them two at a time, would it? How many photos do eg. a 1000 mah set of batteries last compared to one with 2500 mah? Do I need batteries over a certain mah?

I found one cheap charger with 4x batteries in town (I live in the middle of nowhere) but the batteries seemed to be only 800 or 1000 mah. Would it be enough or just a waste with money?

I also heard CRV3 batteries works fine with this model, but you can't use rechargable ones with it, can you? No idea what a CRV3-battery and a charger costs though. I read somewhere someone had CRV3 batteries for his camera and it lasted for a year. But these are 40 usd / pair in Sweden. 40 usd?!
You should be able to take several hundred pictures on ordinary batteries. Unless you shoot a lot I would recommend sticking to those for the DS/DL. Biltema has big packs of cheap ones, as do Claes Ohlson, my gut feel is that Biltema lasts longer (use them in my flashes).

If you are going to use rechargeable, be aware NiMh looses power quickly after being charged, so batteries like the Eneloop is recommended. You can buy lots of Biltema batteries for the price of Eneloop and charger though. I know others has purchased Eneloop in Sweden, have you checked places like kjell.com?
11-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #21

You can get those "low self-discharge" NiMH batteries, like Sanyo Eneloops, for quite cheap (about 10 EUR for a four-pack) at least if you go to eBay. There's a list of brands you can search for in Wikipedia: Low self-discharge NiMH battery. Any standard NiMH charger will work with those, but I'd definitely buy something that can charge and monitor each cell separately to ensure good life for the batteries. I have Sanyo Eneloops, GP ReCyko+'s and Uniross Hybrios myself, all bought from eBay (from British or German dealers, I think) and they've all been fine.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to waste their time and money with disposable batteries. Such a waste, in so many ways.
11-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Crwl, quick question? Do you have an Enloops charger and does it work with the GP's okay? The GP chargers we've had are just junk. We've had 4, 3 of which were all defective. We have like 6 sets of GP Recyklo batteries and I was hoping I could use an Eneloops one with these.

Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by crwl Quote
You can get those "low self-discharge" NiMH batteries, like Sanyo Eneloops, for quite cheap (about 10 EUR for a four-pack) at least if you go to eBay. There's a list of brands you can search for in Wikipedia: Low self-discharge NiMH battery. Any standard NiMH charger will work with those, but I'd definitely buy something that can charge and monitor each cell separately to ensure good life for the batteries. I have Sanyo Eneloops, GP ReCyko+'s and Uniross Hybrios myself, all bought from eBay (from British or German dealers, I think) and they've all been fine.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to waste their time and money with disposable batteries. Such a waste, in so many ways.
11-24-2010, 01:11 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Crwl, quick question? Do you have an Enloops charger and does it work with the GP's okay? The GP chargers we've had are just junk. We've had 4, 3 of which were all defective. We have like 6 sets of GP Recyklo batteries and I was hoping I could use an Eneloops one with these.

Thanks!
I have a Vanson charger that does per cell charging (it can charge 1-4 AAA, AA, C or D batteries at the same time). I have no experience with GP or Eneloop chargers, but I have a strong assumption that if you have a charger that works properly with any NiMH batteries, it will work just as well with low self-discharge NiMHs.

Based on my own experience, GP ReCyko's, Eneloops and the like are all pretty much the same thing and have similar chemistry, performance and characteristics. To the best of my understanding, battery manufacturers are telling you to use chargers of the same brand just to increase their profit.