Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #1

External flash advice for Pentax K-x (Pentax AF360 FGZ)

I have a K-x body and a Pentax AF360 FGZ external flash unit that is "compatible with Pentax PZ, ZX, SF, LX, MZ, *ist, 645NII, 67II series cameras."

Is it possible to take full advantage of this flash with my K-x? Is there a better flash for my K-x? I'm taking a lighting class next semester and would rather sell this flash if it's not really compatible with my K-x.

1) Can I use Pentax AF360 FGZ with the K-x body?
2) Is there a better flash unit for the K-x?

It's a beginner class so they'll have us doing a little bit of everything, I imagine. I don't have any specific uses in mind.

Thanks.

11-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Yes, the AF360FGZ should be usable with the K-x. The better units would be the AF540FGZ or some other 3rd party flash such as the Metz 48, Metz 58, etc.
11-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-x and 360FGZ. You should have no problems. I also have a cheaper flash (Vivitar 383) that I find myself using more often because the 360 FGZ can swivel up, but not side to side. That's very limiting if you need to bounce off the ceiling for portraits.
11-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The AF360FGZ flash pre-dates most, if not all, of the Pentax DSLR line, and I don't think they have ever bothered to update the manual. That's why there's a lengthy list of film cameras it's compatible with, but nothing about the K??? digital line.

Nonetheless, the PTTL flash system works the same, and that flash is still sold as new and fully compatible with the current cameras.

It's a fine flash. Not as powerful or feature-laden as the 540 model, but still pretty good. I'd keep it.

But since you're taking a lighting class, I imagine you'll be using mostly manual flash settings. If so, I'd consider picking up (in addition to the 360) a cheap fully-manual flash (probably around $50 or so) with easy-to-access manual controls. I find the manual controls on the AF360FGZ to be a pain in the neck.

11-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A typical workhorse manual flash is the Vivitar 285 series but if you're going to consider such older (but very good) flashes, check to see that they have a trigger voltage suited to modern dSLR cameras (Google 'trigger voltage' to find the flash you're after).