Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How many of you will purchase the K-5 in november if the rebate or price drops?
November 1551.72%
December 1448.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
How about you take the financial hit of a few hundred, buy it, enjoy it.... In the grand scheme of things we probably spend that much on fast food in a few months or less.
Have considered it and also considered the K-R but even with a rebate on the K5, I am already taking a financial hit. Fast food has gone up!

I really dont want to sound like a complainer. And I am sure there are reasons for the K5's price point, its just that its out of my reach for now.

11-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vancmann Quote
As soon as street price drops or Pentax offers a "Holiday Rebate" ($200 possibly), I am in.
Same here. As much as I enjoy the "new camera smell", I need to be rational and wait a few more months. I'm still getting good use of my K10D, although I'm bumping up against its limits more and more.
11-14-2010, 12:46 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well everybody, I just placed an order for the K-5 from b&h. Thanks
11-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #19
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding the volume question... I asked my B&H salesman how many more D7000's they order than K-5's. He said 1000x ... I was like "WA?!! I though maybe 100x, but 1000x?" He stood by that statement. He did speak highly of the image quality of the K-5. But he's behind the counter, so no room for naivety there...

Whell, looks like Pentax is having enough trouble with 1/1000th the Nikon volume, so I guess they don't want or need the volume, so not rebates for now.

(p.s. I got mine, and you can believe all the rave reviews. ISO 4000 is like ISO 400 on my K10D!)

11-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cant wait for mine. It has a scheduled delivery of friday this week.
Even though I bought mine, I still would like pentax to get a larger part of the market by whatever means necessary. In this case, a great camera.
Whats in it for me? More third part lens makers will make more of or all their lens available in K mount. Example: Sigma stopped making the 180mm macro for pentax.

BTW, 1000X seems exaggerated. It means that if pentax sells 100 K5, Nikon would sell 100,000 D7000?? I just donno.
11-16-2010, 03:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Regarding the volume question... I asked my B&H salesman how many more D7000's they order than K-5's. He said 1000x ... I was like "WA?!! I though maybe 100x, but 1000x?" He stood by that statement. He did speak highly of the image quality of the K-5. But he's behind the counter, so no room for naivety there...

Whell, looks like Pentax is having enough trouble with 1/1000th the Nikon volume, so I guess they don't want or need the volume, so not rebates for now.
Well I don't doubt that on the current US scene especially, Nikon is kicking very serious arse with their smart USD1200 release pricing of their D7000.
And have zero doubt that it would be "a very significant number more" too, but as for 1,000x? Well, I'd really like to see B&Hs monthly sales sheets there thanks... ?-)

e.g. From figures bandied by T.O.P, Nikon holds around 4.36 times Pentax's market share in DSLR (presumably that's USphobic %ages too as T.O.P is a merkin based Bog website.)

So I guess we all should wait until the shiny-shiny wears off both mfgrs new kids-on-the-block, and see at maybe Q3 of next year if Pentax has actually eroded mountains against Canikon in either or both respective segments of K-r and K-5.

I personally think it's the K-r consumer end where Pentax are likely to win more hearts.
And often it's that segment that many jump ship from when they move up to prosumer level -- so will and can K-5 finally plug that leakage?

Once at prosumer level minds seem to be made up, and I see extremely few Canikon owners even uttering the word Pentax - yet still a small but noticeable relinquishing and gear sell-offs of Pentax >> C/N stream happens.
(sometimes it's the smell of FF that beckons, or for other reasons, add-on/equipment limitations of some sort, etc...)

So it's not merely a game about gain of Hearts, but Retention of Minds. That's the $64,000 question that is probably most important for Hoya.
There's SFA real margin to be made from being a K-r maker, compared to the enormous mark-ups commanded at K-5 level.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-16-2010 at 03:28 AM.
11-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #22
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
vancmann, Hypocorism, I think you're both right. He was probably talking out of his ass.