Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How many of you will purchase the K-5 in november if the rebate or price drops?
November 1551.72%
December 1448.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax, please offer a Holiday Rebate already and get some volume!!

I dont know about anyone else in the U.S.A. but I am mostly convinced on getting the K-5 and probably because of this Forum.
I am not going to wait for the PRO reviews (DPR) anymore,
but I am gonna wait for the price to drop because I am poor.

As soon as street price drops or Pentax offers a "Holiday Rebate" ($200 possibly), I am in.

Anyone else (pro, non-pro like myself) feels this way?

Here are the advantages for the company if inventory are available: If the rebate's offered sooner before we, the fully undecided, spend the money on other less expensive cameras or holiday shopping ect, the company gains a head start while some competions(d7000 for ex) are backorered or sold out and gets capital to build more instead of on the shelf inventory. The D7000 has been mostly sold out since it was released.

Pentax is relatively unpopular compared to the competition of Nikon canon and the K-5 is the ultimate pilot camera build awareness and gain market share.

Last edited by vancmann; 11-04-2010 at 12:50 PM.
11-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

We need to stop to compare with Nikon. Nikon will sell tons of it despite Pentax doing rebate. Pentax have cloud in their name
But interesting , I visited at lunch a local camera dealer who sell Pentax but have only 1 K-X in demonstration . I talk to the salesperson. He said to me that the Pentax reps visited them and he was able to try the K-5. Is world was ''I was not expecting a camera that good from Pentax but this is the CAMERA. I own Nikon equipment but having a choice I will switch. Better ergonomic and better IQ and better ISO"
As you can see when dealer have them in their hand they praise it . I said yes but Nikon have the D7000. He said'' Cannot compare , Pentax K-5 is so much better''
OUch what a statement , half of his display show Nikon stuff
This mean if you own Pentax, we will buy the K-5, If you own Canon or Nikon , not so sure, this is a system swith. The best bet is Pentax to get as much new customer with the K-X or K-R and move them up to the K-5
11-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's tempting but the K-x is plenty for me right now. Even with the introduction of the K-r I still got a killer deal 2 months ago on the Kit with 55-300 and am not likely to be looking at a new body anytime soon.
11-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
We need to stop to compare with Nikon. Nikon will sell tons of it despite Pentax doing rebate.
I know what you mean but it was the only other option I considered not mainly because of how their performance compare but mostly price point. Both have their plusses and their minuses. The scope of this thread is only price point and I hope no one starts a brand performance argument on which is better ect.

Also, it is not to prevent nikon from selling tons because like you said, it will happen anyway but to get the undecided in that price point to get lured into getting a better camera
Thank you for the post

11-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Listen people!

Anyway, it didn't seem like Ned was planning on any price reductions soon. That's fine, I can't afford to spend close to that so it keeps temptation down.
11-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Too bad I cant edit the poll questions to add: Wouldn't get it till next year regardless of rebate.
11-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Bottom line, the K-5 is perceived by many, including many of us loyal Pentaxians, as being priced too high right now. This is the camera that many of us have been waiting for for years, and yet it is out of range for quite a few either financially or just because we don't want to spend $1,600 on a DSLR. Hoyatax doesn't seem intent on lowering the price soon. Supply and demand will play a role. Hoya may have reduced inventory and production of the K-5, but would they (should they) be content selling a large percentage of a reduced production run at a high price, or many thousands more at a slightly lower price?

This will be interesting to see how it plays out. Some of us may be waiting for it to hit $1,300, some $1,200, and on and on. Heck, I paid $300 for my like-new K200D fairly early on in its run, so this whole concept of paying over $1,000 for a DSLR is painful for me. But I'll do it for what the K-5 seems to offer, just not at the current price.
11-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
Bottom line, the K-5 is perceived by many, including many of us loyal Pentaxians, as being priced too high right now. This is the camera that many of us have been waiting for for years, and yet it is out of range for quite a few either financially or just because we don't want to spend $1,600 on a DSLR. Hoyatax doesn't seem intent on lowering the price soon. Supply and demand will play a role. Hoya may have reduced inventory and production of the K-5, but would they (should they) be content selling a large percentage of a reduced production run at a high price, or many thousands more at a slightly lower price?

This will be interesting to see how it plays out. Some of us may be waiting for it to hit $1,300, some $1,200, and on and on. Heck, I paid $300 for my like-new K200D fairly early on in its run, so this whole concept of paying over $1,000 for a DSLR is painful for me. But I'll do it for what the K-5 seems to offer, just not at the current price.
Because it is percieved by many as the camera we have been waiting on for obvious reasons, I dont expect huge price drop as quickly as my K20D and the K200D in your example did. Look at the K-x's depreciation compared to the K-7's.

I haven't validated this, but the K-x was thought to be a breakthrough in performance for its class for the company and the price is still close to the street price it had when it was realeased.

11-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vancmann Quote
Because it is percieved by many as the camera we have been waiting on for obvious reasons, I dont expect huge price drop as quickly as my K20D and the K200D in your example did. Look at the K-x's depreciation compared to the K-7's.

I haven't validated this, but the K-x was thought to be a breakthrough in performance for its class for the company and the price is still close to the street price it had when it was realeased.
Yes, and this is despite the release of the K-r.
11-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
m8o
Veteran Member

I'm going to Manhattan this weekend thru Tuesday. I'd buy the K-5 if I could be assured I wouldn't feel like a heal say, a week later. Yes, if there's going to be a rebate, it may be retroactive; then again, maybe it won't.
11-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #11

Considering that I paid $240 for a refurbished K100D and then $275 for a used K10D, I just can't bring myself to pay the early adopter tax for the K-5.

I want it so very, very much though. I'll probably snap it up as soon as it goes below $1400.
11-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #12

A holiday rebate for lenses and accessories! Yeah!
11-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

How about you take the financial hit of a few hundred, buy it, enjoy it.... In the grand scheme of things we probably spend that much on fast food in a few months or less.
11-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bullhill Quote
A holiday rebate for lenses and accessories! Yeah!
Now that sounds good to me. How about the new DA35 with a rebate in time for Christmas
11-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

There's one in the UK so I suspect you'll get one in the US soon?