Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Deniz Quote
Hi there,

Before anything. This review I just made today about Pentax K-x is kinda like a summary of my situation: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-digital-slr-camera-reviews/73845-p...ml#post1250931

I've been a proud Pentaxian for a year now. At the very first moment I saw what my Pentax can do, I knew I made the right decision. The K-x was, and still is, better than any camera in it's range. But, as it's written on the review something's just missing. I know the Pentax cameras are usally relativly small and it seems to be that this is going on forever but, I personally beileve that there should be a line between being compact and being pro or semi-pro. And, yes, this is all there is. I just can't get the feeling from the K-x.

Now, the K-5 is out. Yet another superb but small camera and with a price you can buy a Canon 7D instead, well, let's say I'm having a serious dilemma for my future investments..

P.S: Actually there is one more issue. Why the hell Pentax don't/wouldn't produce a f1.8/1.7 50mm lens with a reasonable price!
Sorry, if I offend you but it is not meant to be. Your crave for a bigger camera does not make you a better photographer; I can tell you that. If the 7D makes you feel more confident, then what is the problem with that? I have seen people regretting the purchases of 5D or 5D MKII only to find out that they don't want to lug them around on a trip. Big heavy camera will be a thing of the past soon... K-5 with the grip will be suitable for people with bigger hand. Go ahead and spend the money that will make you happy...

11-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #17

Original Poster
I guess I need to clearify some points, they seem to be misunderstood. First, I'm not looking for a FF body and in fact the 7D was just an example, my actual plan if I ever sell my Pentax gear is buying a 50D, due to the realities of a college student's budjet etc. Also I know that photography is not about the device you use. Second, I have nothing against the performance of the K-x. It's really good enough for me. I'm just questioning the size and how it feels in my hand not the else see how it looks.

Last edited by Deniz; 11-04-2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: some addition.
11-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I have had a 18-55/50-200mm WR K-5 kit in my shopping cart since 2pm (UK time). My card details are entered and with the cashback the price works out at $1560 incl delivery and taxes. I don't need the lenses as I have a DA* 16-50mm & 60-250mm so I can sell them which makes the body even cheaper.

Trouble is my K10D also takes excellent pictures ............. and it's making me think twice/3 times

I really want that K-5 though.
Maybe we should start a support group.
Hi. My name is Jim, and I crave a K5.
11-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #19

Original Poster
One more thing: I'm aware of the f1.7 50mm lens. It's just too damn hard to find it.

11-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #20
Raylon

I guess I need to clearify some points, they seem to be misunderstood. First, I'm not looking for a FF body and in fact the 7D was just an example, my actual plan if I ever sell my Pentax gear is buying a 50D, due to the realities of a college student's budjet etc. Also I know that photography is not about the device you use. Second, I have nothing against the performance of the K-x. It's really good enough for me. I'm just questioning the size and how it feels in my hand not the else see how it looks.
Yea my Pentax never felt good until i put a grip on it, then it was too large. 7D, basically same as the 50D, fit perfectly without a grip.

All the old folks here tend to want smaller cameras and complain about weight. I have no problem lugging around a huger camera or a 70-200 f/2.8. No pain no gain. If I need a lens that will deliver the image, I need it, no question about it.
11-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

7D is a fine camera... nothing wrong with that... I have held that camera in my hand but it is big and heavy compare to the Pentax line - not for me anyway to take with me on trips. By the way, 50D is about the same size. Big cameras are good for studio work... and if that is what you are after, then you have the answer. Don't forget the heavy IS lens too.
11-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Here what I said on another tread and this a true story

But interesting , I visited at lunch a local camera dealer who sell Pentax but have only 1 K-X in demonstration . I talk to the salesperson. He said to me that the Pentax reps visited them and he was able to try the K-5. Is world was ''I was not expecting a camera that good from Pentax but this is the CAMERA. I own Nikon equipment but having a choice I will switch. Better ergonomic and better IQ and better ISO"
As you can see when dealer have them in their hand they praise it . I said yes but Nikon have the D7000. He said'' Cannot compare , Pentax K-5 is so much better''
OUch what a statement , half of his display show Nikon stuff

11-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what you are asking here, just get whatever camera feels better in your hands, they are all good
11-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Maybe we should start a support group.
Hi. My name is Jim, and I crave a K5.
after reading the following thread, I also crave a K5...along with DA* 16-50 & DA* 50-135.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/120794-k-5-images-impressions.html

the worst part of it all...i just bought DA35ltd, Sigma 8-16mm, used K200D, 18-55WR, FA31ltd, and FA77ltd all within the last month. i need help.
11-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I've been a proud Pentaxian for a year now. At the very first moment I saw what my Pentax can do, I knew I made the right decision. The K-x was, and still is, better than any camera in it's range. But, as it's written on the review something's just missing. I know the Pentax cameras are usally relativly small and it seems to be that this is going on forever but, I personally beileve that there should be a line between being compact and being pro or semi-pro. And, yes, this is all there is. I just can't get the feeling from the K-x.

Now, the K-5 is out. Yet another superb but small camera and with a price you can buy a Canon 7D instead, well, let's say I'm having a serious dilemma for my future investments..

P.S: Actually there is one more issue. Why the hell Pentax don't/wouldn't produce a f1.8/1.7 50mm lens with a reasonable price!
I'm almost a 1 year old Pentax user as well with the K-x also being my first DSLR. I think you have a valid point in mentioning the fact there is no cheap 50mm from Pentax like there is from Canon or Nikon. I also agree it's a lot more work in trying to find used alternatives or older glass. Hell, some of the A and F lenses are fetching ridiculously high prices in the aftermarket.

Anyhow, it's disappointing, but it doesn't stop me from shooting or enjoying other glass. I've since skipped out on the idea of getting a 50mm and instead now own the DA 40, 70, and DFA 100mm WR (amongst others I won't mention). And you know what? I don't really miss not have a fast 50. With what I now have invested in glass, I'd take a K-5 any day of the week over a 7D.
11-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by typical8o8 Quote
after reading the following thread, I also crave a K5...along with DA* 16-50 & DA* 50-135.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/120794-k-5-images-impressions.html

the worst part of it all...i just bought DA35ltd, Sigma 8-16mm, used K200D, 18-55WR, FA31ltd, and FA77ltd all within the last month. i need help.

Your LBA is working overtime on you!!! don't worry, it is all healthy except your wallet, but then our economy could use some help.. .
11-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

reading your review I noticed you wrote the k-x doesn't feel like a DSLR, rather than it is not comfortable in your hands. if this is the case than there is really no good practical advice you can get, as if the k-x is comfortable and everything else is exelent as you seem to sugest than you should keep it, on the other hand if getting a bigger sized camera will make you feel better than you should probably do that but it will not be a decision related to photography.
11-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
reading your review I noticed you wrote the k-x doesn't feel like a DSLR, rather than it is not comfortable in your hands. if this is the case than there is really no good practical advice you can get, as if the k-x is comfortable and everything else is exelent as you seem to sugest than you should keep it, on the other hand if getting a bigger sized camera will make you feel better than you should probably do that but it will not be a decision related to photography.
Reminds me of a retired family doctor who had his D700 and big 24-70 f2.8 FX lens wearing around his neck (met him on a cruise last year). He handed me the camera to take a picture of him and his wife.... wow, nice big viewfinder!!, I quickly snapped a few (like machine gun) and then asked him if I can use Av mode. He said, what Av mode... the guy who sold him the camera never mention to him; that he should use Auto mode-no need to change. All the while I had at least a couple hundred shots, he said he only took a few as he claimed there was nothing interesting to take. But... in our conversation, I think he believes his expensive setup is worth at least a bragging right. The way he walked was funny as if there is a heavy chain over his neck that he had to straighten his back backward.
11-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One more thing: I'm aware of the f1.7 50mm lens. It's just too damn hard to find it.
Have you looked on eBay?
I count 7 on the first search:

New and used Pentax F 50mm 1.7, Lenses Filters, Film Cameras on eBay.ca

I don't really watch for them(I use a 1.4), but in the times I did look they seemed plentiful.
11-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #30
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
R\wow, nice big viewfinder!!\
Yea that's one huge thing I love about the 7D. After looking through a K200 and Kx I love the huge bright viewfinder. Kx just seem so dark and small, like a tunnel.
Closed Thread