Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #61
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Finding a 600 would be a chore. And they are very expensive. Also I don't think the 60-250 could match performance of the 70-200 2.8. It is a nearly flawless lens. Also f/stops do more than let light in. 70-200 is also used as a portrait lens because the bokeh is amazing.
Again, I have to basically agree. I have, and love, my 60-250. But other than the extended range on both ends, the Canon 70-200 is the better lens. Also, if you get the IS version, it's more effective than the in-body SR combined with the 60-250.

11-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #62
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,462
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Holy cow all I said was compared to the Kx and K200 the 7D has a HUGE and BRIGHT viewfinder. Not sure why you are trying to prove me wrong or something.

And to the person pointing at DxO scores: Have the K-5 and K20 print out 8x11 pictures of the same thing. Will you be able to tell a difference? Doubt it. For most people the performance of nearly any modern SLR will be plenty.
Where am I trying to prove you wrong?
It's just that it was to be expected from the top APS-C camera, it's not anything special (certainly, not a Canon-only feature ). Doubled by my personal opinion that APS-C viewfinders aren't HUGE, not even huge.

Re. the 8x11 print: yes, one will be able to tell the difference - from a certain ISO upwards
11-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #63
Raylon
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Where am I trying to prove you wrong?
It's just that it was to be expected from the top APS-C camera, it's not anything special (certainly, not a Canon-only feature ). Doubled by my personal opinion that APS-C viewfinders aren't HUGE, not even huge.

Re. the 8x11 print: yes, one will be able to tell the difference - from a certain ISO upwards
My bad, I kind of went off on you there for no reason. But yes, it's definitely not a Canon only thing. I was simply amazed after coming from the K200 which is only a .8xx something and 9xx something coverage, the 7D seemed like an amazing viewfinder. I would love to see a medium format viewfinder. Probably like looking through a car window,
11-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #64
Veteran Member
Hypocorism's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne .au
Posts: 623
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Again, I have to basically agree. I have, and love, my 60-250. But other than the extended range on both ends, the Canon 70-200 is the better lens. Also, if you get the IS version, it's more effective than the in-body SR combined with the 60-250.
Interesting, Do you mean the f2.8 or the f4 Canon 70-200 there?
I guess the latter might be the fairer comparison. Although Pentax doesn't even offer its peasants a 2.8 in same popular Z coverage so that leaves them as fair game too.

Fwiw; This lens range is one area (of the usual many) that I've been pondering the dilemma myself; ie. whether to buy a P.60-250 and dig myself deeper into the Pentax hole of commitment; or, simply bite the bullet and invest the pesos into "the dark side" to benefit from where its advantages lie.

To me it's not about brand or loyalties wars, it IS all about being a smart consumer and accepting that each have their merits which anyone is free to take advantage of for their better.

.R.

"Photography is only an accessory for reflecting real life beliefs
and experiences, it is not real life itself."

11-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #65
Raylon
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Interesting, Do you mean the f2.8 or the f4 Canon 70-200 there?
I guess the latter might be the fairer comparison. Although Pentax doesn't even offer its peasants a 2.8 in same popular Z coverage so that leaves them as fair game too.
Both the F/4 IS and F/2.8 IS II versions of the 70-200 are brand new, and have amazing IS systems. They are 4-stop IS systems. It's what Canon calls their next-gen IS systems. It's amazing to see how those IS systems actually work.

The 2.8 I IS and F/4 non-IS are older versions. I just love the options. I will probably start with a F/4 non-IS and move my way up to the latest.
11-05-2010, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,462
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
I would love to see a medium format viewfinder. Probably like looking through a car window,
No, you would hate it. I'm talking from experience - when you see a viewfinder as big as your camera's LCD, then going back to that tiny, dark APS-C viewfinder you were so happy with just moments earlier...
11-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #67
Raylon
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No, you would hate it. I'm talking from experience - when you see a viewfinder as big as your camera's LCD, then going back to that tiny, dark APS-C viewfinder you were so happy with just moments earlier...
Haha that is true. I think the saying goes 'you can't miss what you've never had'.
11-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #68
Senior Member
65535's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 182
QuoteOriginally posted by Deniz Quote
Now, the K-5 is out. Yet another superb but small camera and with a price you can buy a Canon 7D instead, well, let's say I'm having a serious dilemma for my future investments..
Whatever, dude



Yeah get the Canon, much better value for the money clearly

Also, enjoy the lack of IS on fast primes.... I can do 1/6 at f/1.4 on a 50mm handheld, what can the Canon do?


Last edited by 65535; 11-05-2010 at 04:37 PM.
11-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
drougge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malmö
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by crwl Quote
I can use the aperture ring (without stop down metering) if I want to
This. Dammit Pentax, why couldn't you have put this in the K-5? I'd have bought one immediately. How many cents would it have cost you?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No, you would hate it. I'm talking from experience - when you see a viewfinder as big as your camera's LCD, then going back to that tiny, dark APS-C viewfinder you were so happy with just moments earlier...
Actually, I see having a 645N as a kind of upside. The difference between FF and APS-C doesn't look very big any more, so I can have a reasonably small camera.

Last edited by drougge; 11-05-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Spelling. (And I do proof read my posts, it just doesn't help.)
11-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #70
Raylon
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by 65535 Quote
Also, enjoy the lack of IS on fast primes.... I can do 1/6 at f/1.4 handheld, what can the Canon do?
Good luck shooting outside in bad weather with that prime

Also are you shooting in the dark?
11-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #71
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden, Umea
Posts: 871
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Good luck shooting outside in bad weather with that prime

Also are you shooting in the dark?
Like I do with my DA*55/1.4? Standing in all weather shooting, letting it sit next to me in the sand when im at the beach, snow, dust, mist. Well, i hope you enjoy using your fast canon 50s in those conditions

You dont seem all that knowledged about pentax lenses, maby you should take a look and see whats out there
11-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #72
Raylon
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Like I do with my DA*55/1.4? Standing in all weather shooting, letting it sit next to me in the sand when im at the beach, snow, dust, mist. Well, i hope you enjoy using your fast canon 50s in those conditions

You dont seem all that knowledged about pentax lenses, maby you should take a look and see whats out there
Pentax doesn't offer a 50mm WR prime. So obviously you don't know Pentax lenses either...

And the Canon 50mm 1.2 is WR....
11-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #73
Senior Member
65535's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 182
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Pentax doesn't offer a 50mm WR prime. So obviously you don't know Pentax lenses either...

And the Canon 50mm 1.2 is WR....
And is unstabilized and costs as much as either the K5 or the 7D

Try again, pal.
11-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #74
Raylon
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by 65535 Quote
And is unstabilized and costs as much as either the K5 or the 7D

Try again, pal.
Whats your point Vault-Boy? If you want a high quality f/1.2 with WR and extremely thin DOF, you are going to pay the price. If you can afford the lens you can afford a nice body and therefore there is no reason for IS.
11-05-2010, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Whats your point Vault-Boy? If you want a high quality f/1.2 with WR and extremely thin DOF, you are going to pay the price. If you can afford the lens you can afford a nice body and therefore there is no reason for IS.
This is all making my head spin.

DA 55 is weather sealed, and 1/2 the price of the canon 50mm 1.2.

If you want to spend much more money on the canon system, why not discuss it on a canon forum? People here are here because they have done their research and enjoy the pentax lineup.

I, for one, have decided I can get all the IQ I need, with IS, and 50 dollar primes. Sure the canon has a 150 dollar budget prime. I have a 50 and a 55 which are just as fast, image stabilized, smaller, with better IQ, for 50 dollars a piece. (PS one of those 50's also came with a camera for free).

If you enjoy spending 10,000 on your camera system, go right ahead. Buy why discuss it here?

PS Name one practical application of a WR 50mm 1.2 lens that I can't do with the A 50 1.2 for 1/4 the price. Shooting abstracts in a hailstorm?

PPS I loled at the DXO mark scores .
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-x, pentax, photography, price, review
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sad but true, quitting Pentax jah3 Pentax DSLR Discussion 101 09-20-2009 02:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:03 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top